MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Can multiple interfaces be used in Live 9/10 or Bitwig?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Can multiple interfaces be used in Live 9/10 or Bitwig?
Rex Coil 7
Let's say I have a small audio interface being used by my DAW (like a two output model). Can another one be added to increase the available inputs and/or outputs?

EG; Use interface "A" on track 1 .... interface "B" on track 2 ... and so on?

I'm configuring a brand new DAW/computer. I'm not sure if I'll be using Live 9, or 10, or perhaps Bitwig just yet. The computer is USB3.1 compatible (three USB 3.1 ports and one USB "Type C" port, as well as about a half dozen USB2 ports ... all on the motherboard). OS will be Win 10 (I believe Win 7 doesn't deal with USB3 otherwise I'd use Win 7).

I'm making decisions on the interface, hence the question.

Thankies! Mr. Green
widdly
In Windows it is not possible to aggregate audio devices at the system level. You can achieve it by using ASIO4ALL but it is not ideal.
Rex Coil 7
widdly wrote:
In Windows it is not possible to aggregate audio devices at the system level. You can achieve it by using ASIO4ALL but it is not ideal.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "not ideal"?
hairbow
Meaning things will look like they will work, but not always.

Most people make two distinct audio interface purchases. The first is whatever they can afford. The second is what they realize they need for their studio. It seems like you’re about to do the first, but need to do the second.

Look into audio interfaces that can be expanded with lightpipe. You can add 8 inputs with a rack - can be as cheap as Behringer or as pricy as you want to push it. Much easier to expand. However your main unit must be capable of handling the expansion. What is your current interface?
Rex Coil 7
hairbow wrote:
...What is your current interface?

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
..I'm configuring a brand new DAW/computer. I'm not sure if I'll be using Live 9, or 10, or perhaps Bitwig just yet. The computer is USB3.1 compatible (three USB 3.1 ports and one USB "Type C" port, as well as about a half dozen USB2 ports ... all on the motherboard). OS will be Win 10 (I believe Win 7 doesn't deal with USB3 otherwise I'd use Win 7).

I'm making decisions on the interface, hence the question.....
No interface.

Well, that is to say, I won't be using any of the three M-Audio Audiophile USB interfaces I've been using since 2002. This is to be an all new system, ground up.

hairbow wrote:
...Most people make two distinct audio interface purchases. The first is whatever they can afford. The second is what they realize they need for their studio. It seems like you’re about to do the first, but need to do the second.
Confidence is high that this is accurate.

I'm penny pinching while I look for a USB3 (or Thunderbolt) interface I can afford. From what I've discovered via research the Thunderbolt card/motherboard combinations are hit and miss currently. Far too many horror stories out there re; Thunderbolt 3 just yet.

So I've been looking at less costly USB3 interfaces to use until the Thunderbolt thing settles down and becomes more of a sure thing (without having to invest Big $$ in a UA interface or the like).

cool
widdly
Asio4all doesn't always work well with different interfaces by itself. When you try to use two different ones at the same time the potentials problems increase. Try googling it and you will see that most users find it troublesome.
widdly
if you are penny pinching, you might try a UsbStreamer and a behringer adat.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

That will give you 8 in 8 out and later if you need to expand then the adat will still be useful.[/video]
Rex Coil 7
widdly wrote:
if you are penny pinching, you might try a UsbStreamer and a behringer adat.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

That will give you 8 in 8 out and later if you need to expand then the adat will still be useful.[/video]
How about a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD - USB 2.0 (six 1/4" outs) for $100.00 new? I've read a LOT of good things about the Behringer "UMC" series. Good things like latency rates of ~roughly~ 3ms in and 7ms out? Really solid construction?

LINK = https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD--behringer-u-phoria-u mc404hd

From what I can tell, I can obtain Win 10 for $10.00 or less ... Unless I am totally and completely misunderstanding things:

LINK = https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Windows+10+Pro&_sop=15& _sacat=11226&Brand=Microsoft&_dcat=11226&Platform=Windows&_pgn=1

Win 10 would permit me to access the USB3 ports (at some point, when I am ready).

Going with the $100.00 dollar Behringer interface for now would permit me to take my time working out just exactly how much ~interface~ I really require. With Win 10 loaded up I'd be ready to take advantage of that option at any time.

I already own Live 9.

So with all that having been said, for about $110.00 total, I can begin using the new computer system (which is hills and valleys more powerful than any computer I have ever EVER owned) and working out precisely how much computer:hardware ratio I want to work with.

Meanwhile, I'm only into my wallet for a snort over $100.00 bucks.

seriously, i just don't get it
PatrickW
I have an iMac from 2011 and needed a new audio interface.
I first went for two Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt audiointerfaces.
It was incredibly unstable : I lost the Thunderbolt connection every few minutes.
Whatever I tried, I never got it working properly.

Then I remembered the amount of "good news posts" about RME.
I switched the Presonus audiointerfaces for the following RME device :
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/digiface_usb.php
And I ordered 4 Behringer ADA8200 devices.
This combination is extremely cheap for what you get : 32 inputs, 32 outputs and a headphone output.
I use it now for three months and it is incredibly stable.
It is not Thunderbolt, but as RME is stating, the Thunderbolt speed is only an advantage if you have more than these 64 in-outs.
And indeed, the latency that I got is not higher than I had with the Thunderbolt solution.
So I can confirm, like a lot of people already did, that the RME drivers are really good.

PS : I use it in combination with Bitwig.
Panason
You need an interface with optical ADAT inputs. One of those will take up to 8 channels of digital audio, so you can then hook up another interface or AD converter box with analog inputs.

You set the interface connected to the computer as the master clock and slave the second box using the optical, SPDIF or Word Clock ports. (the latter probably best)

I think there are more high-end solutions to optical ADAT but IMO not needed for a home project studio.

I would also avoid Behringer as the master interface. There is nothing more annoying than digital audio sync issues.
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
You need an interface with optical ADAT inputs. One of those will take up to 8 channels of digital audio, so you can then hook up another interface or AD converter box with analog inputs.

You set the interface connected to the computer as the master clock and slave the second box using the optical, SPDIF or Word Clock ports. (the latter probably best)

I think there are more high-end solutions to optical ADAT but IMO not needed for a home project studio.

I would also avoid Behringer as the master interface. There is nothing more annoying than digital audio sync issues.
Y'know what? ... I have this Alesis DEQ830 thing ... it's an eight channel digital 31 band programmable EQ. It has ADAT I/O, and also eight 1/4" inputs and eight 1/4" outputs. It is essentially eight 31 band digital EQ channels in one 1U processor. I'm wondering if that couldn't be used with an interface that has ADAT to add channels to it?

I've attached the PDF manual (at least I believe I did that correctly) ... go to page 18 and you'll see the connections ... then on page 23 is where it begins discussing the ADAT connections and their use.

I've never used ADAT before, in fact I had no idea what it was for (duuhhh). But what you've said totally makes sense to me!

I'll submit this now, and then I'm going to make an attempt to better understand that DEQ830 manual. Maybe I can lightpipe this bitch!

Right on man! Thanks! thumbs up
Panason
Yeah that should work. I couldn't see if it has SPDIF input as that may be more reliable for clocking but it's worth a try.. you'd need two optical cables, one to pipe the audio into tyour main interface, the other to send clock from the main to the Alesis.
The only downside to optical ADAT that I've found is the cables and the ports... the port design is flimsy. You have to take care that the cables don't get sharp bends on them as that will damage the optical fibers. Avoid cables with metal connectors as they can damage the ports, go all plastic. Some cables will fit in the ports more snugly than others.
rean1mator
Yeah thunderbolt on PC is definitely hit and miss if you are setting up for the first time. Since I went through that painful experience I will give you 1 bit of wise advice. Stay the fck away from the ASUS thunderbolt card. It doesn't work for shit, even on their own mobo's.

Use the Gigabyte Alpine Thunderbolt card. it works great, very stable, never disappears like the asus card did and works great with Asus Mobo's and I"m assuming with their own and other Mobo's that have a thunderbolt header built in.

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
hairbow wrote:
...What is your current interface?

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
..I'm configuring a brand new DAW/computer. I'm not sure if I'll be using Live 9, or 10, or perhaps Bitwig just yet. The computer is USB3.1 compatible (three USB 3.1 ports and one USB "Type C" port, as well as about a half dozen USB2 ports ... all on the motherboard). OS will be Win 10 (I believe Win 7 doesn't deal with USB3 otherwise I'd use Win 7).

I'm making decisions on the interface, hence the question.....
No interface.

Well, that is to say, I won't be using any of the three M-Audio Audiophile USB interfaces I've been using since 2002. This is to be an all new system, ground up.

hairbow wrote:
...Most people make two distinct audio interface purchases. The first is whatever they can afford. The second is what they realize they need for their studio. It seems like you’re about to do the first, but need to do the second.
Confidence is high that this is accurate.

I'm penny pinching while I look for a USB3 (or Thunderbolt) interface I can afford. From what I've discovered via research the Thunderbolt card/motherboard combinations are hit and miss currently. Far too many horror stories out there re; Thunderbolt 3 just yet.

So I've been looking at less costly USB3 interfaces to use until the Thunderbolt thing settles down and becomes more of a sure thing (without having to invest Big $$ in a UA interface or the like).

cool
Michael O.
Do you certainly mean multiple interfaces, or do you mean multiple converters? One interface with multiple converters chained via aes or something is very normal and viable, but I’m not sure daw’s can handle multiple interfaces as such.
Rex Coil 7
rean1mator wrote:
Yeah thunderbolt on PC is definitely hit and miss if you are setting up for the first time. Since I went through that painful experience I will give you 1 bit of wise advice. Stay the fck away from the ASUS thunderbolt card. It doesn't work for shit, even on their own mobo's.
I'd read that more than once! I must have spent two whole days researching which T-bolt card to use, like many folks I presumed the one with the same brand as the motherboard on it would be the sure bet. Pffft! ... not even! Your post only served to strengthen that. Thank you.

rean1mator wrote:
Use the Gigabyte Alpine Thunderbolt card. it works great, very stable, never disappears like the asus card did and works great with Asus Mobo's and I"m assuming with their own and other Mobo's that have a thunderbolt header built in.
Here's the board I bought (for some reason the image does not depict the plentiful USB2 ports, both front and back) ....

rowsbywoof
Damn, really? That won't work? I was hoping to add a MOTU 8D in a little while to expand my digital ins/outs. My main ADAC these days is an RME Fireface UFX, used over Firewire. I was rationalizing the 8D on USB and the Fireface over Firewire would be fine. I'm kind of gutted that won't work because I don't really see a lot of good options to add both SPDIF and AES inputs to the RME over ADAT.

I mean, glad I saw this, as that's probably $500 I would have wasted (well... not wasted, but if I'm just going to use one interface or another I can find another way to make things work, I guess), but I was really looking forward to expanding my setup especially to incorporate a few more digital effects and synths that support AES/SPDIF.

Ah well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1