MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expanding on Endorphin.es Shuttle System?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Expanding on Endorphin.es Shuttle System?
kozmonot
Hi everybody!
New user here. Long time lurker, first few posts.
It's great to be part of an amazing community that's so helpful.

I run an animation studio but I also moonlight as a composer.
I started about 5 years ago mostly to legitimize my hobbyist spending on gear, composing music for our commercials and animated shorts. My composing duties have picked up gradually throughout this period. It's been a humbling and very educating process. My output is mostly orchestral stuff but I've been incorporating hardware synths into my workflow; and I've always been intrigued by the modular world ever since I got a chance to work on Moog Modular during my masters on design and technology back in the early noughties.

Alright, enough background information.

After months of research and fiddling with VCV Rack and Softube, about month ago I purchased the Shuttle System by Endorphin.es to take the plunge.

And it's been great! Such a deep and versatile system that really packs a punch way above its HP count.

But... Of course... I'm looking to expand now (surprise, surprise).

What I feel I'm missing is some sequencing capabilities, a couple of extra voices and Morphagene (!) smile

I'm pretty much sold on using Rene for the sequencing duties.
In my rig, I've been using DSI Tempest for the rhythmic stuff (fantastic synth by the way) and the Digitone besides the Shuttle System with Keystep.

For expansion, the logical way would obviously be to buy a case and build slowly around the Rene and the Morphagene. Unfortunately in my case, I don't have access to modules where I live. Customs and importing are a bitch and make things too expensive. So I've been doing some theoretical planning for the past weeks. Next week I'll be traveling to Glasgow for business. I'm planning to pay a visit to Rubadub and Signal Sounds in the hopes to buy some stuff in bulk for the expansion.

I have a few options and I'd love to have your opinions, corrections and input overall.

Option 1 - Make Noise Cartesian System:

I looked into this a lot before settling on the Shuttle System. It's got Rene and two additional voices. Not so sure about Telharmonic and I'd obviously be missing the Morphagene. But it seems like a sensible option. Especially in terms of the learning curve, I'm sure it's enough to keep me busy for a year.

Option 2 - Make Noise Shared System:

I looked really hard into this one during my earlier research. I really like the Make Noise philosophy and I feel like this is a very coherent and deep instrument. Downside is I already have a complex dual oscillator and I'm not so crazy about Echophon and Erbeverb. I already have a few pedals that sound superb in that department (Timeline and Big Sky). Does having these effects in the rack make a big difference?

Option 3: Cartesian + another 104hp (version 1)

Since this will be my only chance to purchase modules for at least a year, perhaps going all out makes sense? Building a 6U around Cartesian System seems logical from a financial point of view.
Here's a take on modular grid:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/774295

I added the Tetrapad here since it looks very versatile on paper and on the demos. And Tempi. And Stages. And Blinds. And Magneto (since I'm a Strymon fan in the pedal world). I guess you can relate to where this is going Dead Banana

Option 4: Cartesian + another 104hp (version 2)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/799651
Here I added a filter (3 sisters), replaced the Tempi with Pamela's New Workout. Is Tempi a better option with Rene because of stored states? Also introduced is the Expert Sleepers General CV. Playing the Digitone with the modular is a tempting idea. Is it worth pursuing at all?

Option 5: Screw Cartesian, go build your own system:

The most versatile but possibly least sensible option is to get an Intellijel 7U case. And build my own system Dead Banana :
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/799432

I have Plaits and STO as additional voices. Marbles for a more musical random source. And some 1U utilities. It looks the most versatile expansion to the Shuttle System. But is it overkill at this point? Too much to learn? Overlaps and redundancies? Key missing elements? (I'm sure there's a lot).

So there it is. Even writing this stuff down has been helpful to gather my thoughts and senses a bit. But I would REALLY appreciate some feedback on the next move of my albeit hasty modular journey.

And sorry for the longwinded post. I guess that's what months of silent research and lurking does to people. hihi

Thank you in advance!
kozmonot
Considering I didn't get any responses in two days, I've consolidated my ambitions into something more reasonable to start with d'oh!

Here's yet another rack, this time focusing on Rene and Morphagene for expanding the Shuttle System. And adding the General CV for the option of playing external synths with Rene.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/800784

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jenseits
Looks totally reasonable to me.
Additional CV, random, sequencing, triggers,etc...
You can do a whole lot of stuff with that!
I don‘t know much about Morphagene and what that needs to be driven...
Also from your previous post it looks like you pretty much know a lot about all this stuff and there are too much questions to be answered at once smile
I recommend deciding for yourself, expand in steps and not all at once. See where that leads you. I don‘t think you‘ll make too many mistakes that way:)
kozmonot
Thank you Jenseits!
Definitely going for expanding in steps. Makes sense from many angles.
shredsickgnar
The one thing I'd recommend is adding some VCAs. The Shuttle System only has two and they are linked with the filters. If you want to get more complex modulation going from multiple sources, add a mixing VCA like Veils.
kozmonot
shredsickgnar wrote:
The one thing I'd recommend is adding some VCAs. The Shuttle System only has two and they are linked with the filters. If you want to get more complex modulation going from multiple sources, add a mixing VCA like Veils.

Thanks a lot! I was thinking Blinds to have the added functionality but do you reckon a straightforward VCA makes more sense?

By the way I loved your videos with the Shuttle System man. They were one of the main reasons of my purchase. Good stuff!
shredsickgnar
kozmonot wrote:
shredsickgnar wrote:

Thanks a lot! I was thinking Blinds to have the added functionality but do you reckon a straightforward VCA makes more sense?

By the way I loved your videos with the Shuttle System man. They were one of the main reasons of my purchase. Good stuff!

Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my videos. I had a great time making them!

Blinds or Veils is fine just a matter of preference. The only other thing I would suggest thinking about I adding one other analog voice, just a simple VCO and an LxD. It makes a fast and easy bass if you ever want to patch one up. That way you have 2-3 easy voices + Morphagene in one insanely powerful setup. This is more just what I would personally do. I like having all the voices I would want to create a song in one rack. It's more a portability thing than anything else. Morphagene + Shuttle System + a controller like a Roli or Lemur is pretty much my dream setup.

If you really want to control external synths with Rene then you probably don't have space for this. Also if your goal is controlling external synths you probably don't need another voice in the rack either.
kozmonot
shredsickgnar wrote:
The only other thing I would suggest thinking about I adding one other analog voice, just a simple VCO and an LxD.

Perfect thinking. Thank you for the response.
Along those lines, I’m about to press the button on something like this:

Two differences from your advice are;
I added a state variable filter and
I couldn’t find blinds or veils anywhere near Scotland in stock.
But the Xaoc Tallin sounded so musical in my ear.

Any final thoughts? smile
Phil999
kozmonot wrote:

that looks similar (the first version) to my mobile rack
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/54244

... which I didn't change much for 2-3 years.
shredsickgnar
kozmonot wrote:
shredsickgnar wrote:
The only other thing I would suggest thinking about I adding one other analog voice, just a simple VCO and an LxD.

Perfect thinking. Thank you for the response.
Along those lines, I’m about to press the button on something like this:

Two differences from your advice are;
I added a state variable filter and
I couldn’t find blinds or veils anywhere near Scotland in stock.
But the Xaoc Tallin sounded so musical in my ear.

Any final thoughts? smile

I looks like you might have changed again but my thoughts are that you can't really go wrong with a Shuttle System + Rene + Morphagene + addition VCAs. If you build a system around those items you can pretty much add anything that looks fancy. Plaits/Rings aren't really my style but they would be great additional voices if you're into their sound.

I would encourage you to not buy everything at once. The Shuttle System, Rene and Morphagene are all extremely deep modules that each can take months to learn and years to master. If you start out with those and learn them first you'll know what modules will best complement them in your system down the road.
kozmonot
shredsickgnar wrote:

I looks like you might have changed again but my thoughts are that you can't really go wrong with a Shuttle System + Rene + Morphagene + addition VCAs. If you build a system around those items you can pretty much add anything that looks fancy. Plaits/Rings aren't really my style but they would be great additional voices if you're into their sound.

Thanks a lot man. Not much has changed actually (except for the layout and the addition of Mutables).

It's built around the Rackbrute case at 88 hp, hence the 3rd row.

Thanks again!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1