MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which Mac in 2018/19?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Which Mac in 2018/19?
Chevron87
So I've been rocking a 5,1 Mac Pro till now. My current machine is a 2010 12 Core 2.93 Ghz - I very rarely max out the CPU but I am also conscious that it is an 8 year old Machine. I've considered the 2013 Mac Pro, which looks great but was pricey when it came out for not much more CPU power. Possibly now a good option. Also considered an Imac, which also looks great but I've heard the CPU performance suffers from thermal throttling the fan gets noisey - plus less power than my 12 core.

The new Mac Mini looks very promising, in the ball park of CPU power and pretty good on price if installing 3rd party RAM. The Imac Pro looks the best option, but with a new modular Mac Pro just around the corner, as well Imac updates due next year, paying out for a machine that seems more aimed at Video guys and more power in the GPU side, which doesn't suit my mixing and programming usage, makes me pause...

Then of course you got Hackintosh, but the stories of downtime trying to fix small issues does not appeal to me.
corpusjonsey
Sounds like you've got it figured out. Is your current computer dead or something? If you rarely "max it out" why get another? Keep what you've got till the bitter end.
Chevron87
My current computer is still going strong, but it's getting old within the Mac eco system and a recent upgrade to High Sierra wasn't straight forward and tricky to negotiate. Updating to Mojave also involves getting a new graphics card to be compatible with Metal. It's also too noisey to record with in the same room and I'm also getting left behind having no thunderbolt and peripherals that are mostly Firewire.

I am sure if it keeps working I could rinse it for a good few years yet, but I use it to make my living as a mix engineer and producer, which it has for 5 years now - but I like the idea of an under warranty machine that is minty fresh. I was close to getting the new Mac Mini but thinking to hold off until the horizon expands next year with incoming Imac updates and a new Mac Pro...
rowsbywoof
New Minis look great. Having more than just USB-C is such a surprise seeing how Apple has handled all MacBooks (including the Air now). If I were buying, I’d go Mini, but your needs might vary a bit from mine. I want capable and small.... I don’t need top spec.
Panason
A Mini is the only Mac I'm still considering. The rest is a bit of a joke - on the buyer.
A Mini should also run pretty quiet ?
Chevron87
The new Minis sure do look good with all those TB and USB ports and speedy processors in such a cool form factor. I feel like they are perfect for music makers as the expense goes in to the CPU and not the GPU which is good enough to run a reasonable sized monitor, but not video intensive stuff.

I am super curious about the Mac Pro talked about appearing next year. If it is modular, my hope is that you can put the money in to your specific demands. For me that being fast processor and storage options.
Dilibob
I am on a Mac pro and am waiting till the Mac pro modular comes out. Till then my daw is on the Mac pro and everything else I have been slowly moving to Linux/Ubuntu to hedge my bet.
CF3
Been using Macs forever and have never actually bought a new one. I usually just get a maxed out used one. BUT, that new Mac Mini has really caught my eye.
drowld
my 1200$ configuration have the same horsepower as the 4-5k$ imac pro.
I have no screen yeah but i can buy what i want then.

Its pretty easy to setup a hackintosh too if you get the right config
amnesia
2011 MacBook Pro 17 inch 3 Terrabyte hard drives. Love it forever.
TXBDan
I just got a new i5 Mac Mini for my music computer. Working great so far.
mgscheue
Panason wrote:
A Mini is the only Mac I'm still considering. The rest is a bit of a joke - on the buyer.
A Mini should also run pretty quiet ?

I got an i5 Mini a few days ago. Very quiet, and I’m really happy with it.
Chevron87
drowld wrote:

I am tempted to build a Hackintosh and whilst I am quite techy, I don't want any downtime relating to issues that need resolving. I might build a small machine as a tester though.
Chevron87
For you guys that got the i5 Mac Mini, why not pay the $200 extra for the i7?
mgscheue
I was on the fence about the i7 vs i5. I suppose the $200 savings is insignificant over the life of the computer, especially since I tend to keep them for a long time, but I also decided to get a big monitor, speakers, etc., and used the money instead to help with that and getting the i5 with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. The speed bump with the i7 isn’t huge. It gets you a bit higher clock speed, a bigger cache, and hyperthreading. But I could have gone either way.
drowld
Chevron87 wrote:
drowld wrote:

I am tempted to build a Hackintosh and whilst I am quite techy, I don't want any downtime relating to issues that need resolving. I might build a small machine as a tester though.

If you buy the exact same build as some other successful one you are almost sure it will work. Its pretty easy to build and install an hackintosh now
Chevron87
Re: i7 vs i5 I hear you and who knows what the difference will be in real usage, you may not hit the CPU ceiling in your usage with the i5 Mini. It seems that the lowest spec i7 2.2 ghz Macbook Pro, from what I read online, doesn't perform much less than the i9 MBP because of thermal throttling etc.
TXBDan
I mostly got the i5 because it was in stock and i liked the config. If you want a 256g SSD like the stock i5 config has then the i7 is more than $200 more, i think $400 more. I will probably buy more memory at some point, but so far i haven't run out with the stock 8gigs.

I've yet to use much more than a single core (out of six) in my projects. Typically 50ish track audio recording/mix projects with the usual effects plugins or 25ish virtual instrument type tracks. All at 24/88.2.

As cheap as it is, if i find i need more power and i'll sell this and buy an i7 version.

There's a big ol' thread on the new Mac Minis over on gearslutz if you want to waste some hours of your life.
Funky40
i use a macmini 2012 right now, the quad i7 2,6ghz which was the strongest one.
The heat situation is something, it gets really hot, anyway in summer.

So, what i´m concerned about the new macmini is the thermal situation.
is it all fine ? can anybody comment please ?

i recently stumbled somehwere over a post somebody stating that i5s are not much behind i7s but beeing better in regards to the whole overheat situation.
if somebody could comment on this ?
Funky40
drowld wrote:

If you buy the exact same build as some other successful one you are almost sure it will work. Its pretty easy to build and install an hackintosh now

Do you have some good links by coinsidence ? with modern AMD ryzen CPUs ?
ngarjuna
Chevron87 wrote:
So I've been rocking a 5,1 Mac Pros till now. My current machine is a 2010 12 Core 2.93 Ghz - I very rarely max out the CPU but I am also conscious that it is an 8 year old Machine. I've considered the 2013 Mac Pro, which looks great but was pricey when it came out for not much more CPU power. Possibly now a good option. Also considered an Imac, which also looks great but I've heard the CPU performance suffers from thermal throttling the fan gets noisey - plus less power than my 12 core.

The new Mac Mini looks very promising, in the ball park of CPU power and pretty good on price if installing 3rd party RAM. The Imac Pro looks the best option, but with a new modular Mac Pro just around the corner, as well Imac updates due next year, paying out for a machine that seems more aimed at Video guys and more power in the GPU side, which doesn't suit my usage, makes me pause...

Then of course you got Hackintosh, but the stories of downtime trying to fix small issues does not appeal to me.

You haven’t said what you want to do with this machine. Personally I have a decked out Hackintosh and a lowly Mini i7. I use the Hack for all of my music and video making (Sleepers, lots of Acustica software, hw sync, Final Cut) and it has been great with one small caveat: once when I ran a security update it undid all of my plugin authorizations. That was a little lame (and I've stopped installing things on that machine) but nothing I couldn't recover from. However for work I need to run Pro Tools and the Hackintosh didn't like that very much. Partly because I was forced into legacy versions of PT (unsupported installations with finicky [albeit tried and true] install procedures) but I couldn't get it happening. So I do most of my work mixes on the Mini (was meant to be a stop gap but it has performed so well for me I just can't justify buying a Pro right now).

If you know what you want to do with it a Hackintosh could be the right choice without a lot of hassle; mine was a very easy build and has been low maintenance other than the aforementioned license dump. But for more general needs or many out of the ordinary uses it might not be.

ETA: I see you are using it for audio mixing. My audio rig on the hack is a lot more powerful than what I could have afforded with the fruit logo. For non PT applications I think it makes a lot of sense.
monads
I would hold the line until the new Mac Pro drops in 2019 and make a decision then. I recently upgraded my 2012 5.1 Quad Core to Mojave and graphics card. Had some issues with the graphics card but sorted it out. One thing that annoys me about Apple is the interface technology (Firewire, Thunderbolt) that evolves and/or get's dropped. For Audio interfaces and music equip I've been looking at Audinate and Dante for connectivity.
rowsbywoof
The price of the new Pro is probably going to be above $2,500, though. for that price you can daisy-chain a couple of the new Minis for 12-core / 32+ GB of RAM grin I don't know. Other than heat issues, which I'm hoping have improved with the new CPUs, and overall crap GPUs (which don't really bother me for this use at all), the Mini seems ideal for music creation.
dubonaire
I'm thinking about getting the Mac Mini to replace a 2015 Macbook Pro as my studio computer. It's powerful enough and nice and small. Perfect in my opinion. If I didn't have a Thunderbolt Display my choice would be iMac Pro, which I think is the best looking computer in existence right now.
monads
Yeah the new 2019 MacPro isn't going to be cheap no doubt.....so wait the options and decide. My timeline for computer upgrade is probably 2020/2021.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2