MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nice wood!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Nice wood!
Faustgeist
I would love to patch on a design like this, but would want to have thin cables do I could see the flat modules. And knowing myself I would invariably pull a cable along the surface and rotate a vital control knob. Ha. I can certainly admire the craftsmanship - wood looks great and I imagine the metal sides are precision.

The layout appeals . . perhaps tough on shipping tho. Twenty Four thousand dollars, alas, is beyond my means. eek!

https://www.noisebug.net/collections/moog-format-modular/products/moon -modular-10-year-anniversary-system
josaka
24k for 4 osc and a huge sequencer.. nuts..
Mirolab
I wonder if the top bridge is fixed at 90 deg, or can it be adjusted to a different angle? I would set the whole thing on a wedge, to tip the main surface up about 30 deg, rather than lying flat. They don't show any side pictures.
ranix
damn son that is a heck of a case you have there. I really like the flat layout. I wouldn't pay 24k for it but it's a damn fine piece of kit.
zeta
alternating.bit
Wood modular case or brand new car... hmmmmm....
Eric the Red
alternating.bit wrote:
Wood modular case or brand new car... hmmmmm....

Or depending on where you live and your lifestyle - one year of bills.
JohnLRice
Just out of curiosity and for what it's worth, I decided to guesstimate how much it would cost to put together using off the shelf parts.

$11,250 - stock modules
$2,000 - 2 x FreeState FX Black Box 22 powered cases
$850 - 1 x FreeState FX Black Box 22 passive case
$900 - 3 x custom one-off modules for interconnection between cases
$2000 - estimate of cost to pay someone for putting it together and testing etc.
TOTAL - $17,000

So, with the Moon 10 year anniversary system you'd be paying about $7,000 more. There are some real and subjective reasons to pay more which may or may not be important to someone:
* an all-in-one unified system might work/sound better then a multi case system (I'm thinking shorter audio cable runs, possibly less power issues, etc)
* the all-in-one unified system might look more impressive in a studio love
* it's uniqueness in design looks and 10 year anniversary status will likely make it more valuable in future resales
* less of a hassle to obtain since it's in the store ready to go, take it home today! hyper Mr. Green Assembling the equivalent with custom work would take likely months if not a year to coordinate with all the vendors and custom shops etc. (not as bad if you are doing a lot of the work yourself but it will likely still take a month or two at least)

So why go with putting the system together yourself instead of the Moon 10 year anniversary console, besides saving about $7,000? eek! hihi
* you can pick and choose the modules you want
* there will be about 6 MU of extra space for MOAR modules
* the FreeState FX cases are deeper (I'm pretty sure) so module placement will be less restrictive.
* three 22 MU cases will be easier to lift, transport, and find a place for in your studio

hmmm..... spinning Smacked in the head with a trout Dead Banana The Agonizer! It's motherfucking bacon yo
Rex Coil 7
Putting 5U modules ~flat~ like that is counter intuitive to the graphics/labeling placement relative to the controls.

Synth modules have the knob/switch/jack lettering above the knob/jack/switch. Hardwired (aka "performance") synths have the lettering beneath the knob/switch/jack.

It's done like that because the module is meant to be upright, the knobs would obscure the view of the label if the labels were under the knob. The performance synth is meant to be flat, the knobs would obscure the view of the labels if the labels were above the knob.

Take a look at modulars and performance synths, it's easy to see what's going on and why.

For the most part.

yer mom

razz
Faustgeist
ranix wrote:
damn son that is a heck of a case you have there. I really like the flat layout. I wouldn't pay 24k for it but it's a damn fine piece of kit.

Oh, heck no, this ain't mine hihi , I noticed it on Noisebug and wanted to share. Like I said - I admire the work, but would want to pay a local wood wood worker good money for a custom case more to my upright preferences. smile

-R
Gizmo
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Putting 5U modules ~flat~ like that is counter intuitive to the graphics/labeling placement relative to the controls. . .
Faustgeist wrote:
I would love to patch on a design like this, but would want to have thin cables do I could see the flat modules.

Placement of the jacks and controls on the panel is a consideration. Tony Algood (Oakley) and Doug Slocum (SSL) are two who mostly have the jacks along the bottom of the module, keeping the controls clear and plainly thinking of vertical mounting. Others like Roger Arrick (dotcom), Moon, Suit and Tie Guy freely intermix the jacks and controls. One of the dotcom Design Philosophy points is, "Jacks [are] located on the panel to promote intuitive usage, not to reduce cable clutter which occurs anyway on multi-row systems." FWIW.
umma gumma
"if you can afford a truck, you can afford a synthesizer"

Guinness ftw!
anomie
My first thoughts were that the ergonomics on this can't be good - a horizontal or near-horizontal layout only works on a console 'cos that's the best angle for pushing faders, and even then it's a pain to get to the channel comps!

But if you want a modular to fit in with your vintage Neve, I guess you'll have the $24k to make this work eek!
JohnLRice
umma gumma wrote:

Guinness ftw!
If you can afford two trucks, you can afford a synthesizer and a truck to trasnport it. hihi
JohnLRice
anomie wrote:
My first thoughts were that the ergonomics on this can't be good - a horizontal or near-horizontal layout only works on a console 'cos that's the best angle for pushing faders, and even then it's a pain to get to the channel comps!
I think the picture is a bit deceiving. I'd guess it wouldn't work well if someone tried to sit down when operating it but with the main area waist high it should be quite comfortable to view and operate. I just did a quick test with one of my shallow cases that are 2 rows high and full of Moon sequencer modules and I saw no issues . . .the labeling on the 569 sequencer is underneath the knobs and most of the rest of the modules in that case are either easy to use without labels or don't have any knobs to block the labels.And the back vertical panel is only about 1.5' away from the front edge of the case so likely a comfortable reach for most adults? spinning
umma gumma
umma gumma
JohnLRice wrote:
umma gumma wrote:

Guinness ftw!
If you can afford two trucks, you can afford a synthesizer and a truck to trasnport it. hihi

hahaha...

all it needs is a cup holder on the side, for your beer/coffee/tea/pan galactic gargleblaster
anomie
JohnLRice wrote:
I'd guess it wouldn't work well if someone tried to sit down when operating it...the back vertical panel is only about 1.5' away from the front edge of the case so likely a comfortable reach for most adults? spinning

John, your logic is impeccable and my laziness incorrigible. Sitting down was just how I pictured myself using this hihi
JohnLRice
anomie wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I'd guess it wouldn't work well if someone tried to sit down when operating it...the back vertical panel is only about 1.5' away from the front edge of the case so likely a comfortable reach for most adults? spinning

John, your logic is impeccable and my laziness incorrigible. Sitting down was just how I pictured myself using this hihi
hehe, nothing wrong with sitting down. Mr. Green I often think that if my modulars were all small enough where I could sit down to use them I'd get a lot less exercise!
bwhittington
I'm surprised the case made it across the pond. I bet $1000 of the markup went to freight.

Perhaps it's ultimate purpose is to reside at Noisebug as the ultimate demo station for years to come. Maybe one day years from now you will be able to scoop it up in their used/b-stock sale. hihi

Beautifully styled, of course!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1