MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Transient processors: how come they are so pricy ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Transient processors: how come they are so pricy ?
oscilloscope
SPL: approx 1,000 €

Elysia Nvelope: approx 1,200 €

And both hard to find used. The Nvelope 500 is cheaper, but is unusable as stand alone (no housing, no in/out standard connectors).

Is there some less expensive alternatives for transient/envelope processing ?

eek!
locust_locust
You could try to find a Transient Designer 2.
It is a 2 channel version (and I think unbalanced IO).

Plugins have largely taken over for this function I think.
Bath House
They are sub-niche products in an already niche market where their duties are largely taken over by plugins or hardware compressors at the same or cheaper price point.
Michael O.
The spl is a cool box and extremely fast and easy to dial in, but an expander + compressor combo should get you there without too much trouble. The main difference is that the transient designer works at pretty much any dynamic level vs a set threshold with the expander + compressor combo, but for most applications there really isn’t too much of a difference in practice.
calaveras
SPL and Elysia are both pretty premium brands. Especially SPL. I'd love to own any of their products. Monitor controller, Mic Pre, summing mixer etc.
oscilloscope
Bath House wrote:
They are sub-niche products in an already niche market where their duties are largely taken over by plugins or hardware compressors at the same or cheaper price point.

Plugins are the cheapest option, but seem to lack a sort of .. mojo about it all. Besides for this I am working OTB.
smile

Compressors can be an option, but for one thing they only act upon the dynamic range, and a bit on the envelope shape indirectly through their compression attack/release settings, so they are more limited. And also I don't want to end up with compressors in the price zone of the SPL/ Elysia units, otherwise what would be the use ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1