MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-2, MPE and Envelopes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH-2, MPE and Envelopes
BobbyFogtop
I'm struggling with getting my ROLI Seaboard to control my modular setup. I have an FH-2 an FHX-1 and an FHX-8GT. I have a USB hub connected to the A input of the FH-2. The ROLI and a Novation Launch Control are connected to the hub. The ROLI is powered by a wall wart. The "A" on the FH-2 display shows two devices connected. (Usually... but that's a question for another time. Let's assume for now that it's good.)

I would like to use the ROLI in MPE mode and have the FH-2 process the pitch(CV), gate, aftertouch and Y for four voices, adding envelope information. I am confused about how to configure things to accomplish this.

In the web interface I
select the first output
change the type to MPE
set the base output to 1
check boxes for CV, Gate*, Envelope and aftertouch
choose CC 64 for Y
set voices to 4 and
Last channel to 5

*I have tried this both checking gate and not checking gate, since I want to use envelopes and I'm not sure which is correct.

I'd like to use the knobs on the Launch Control to modify the envelopes on a per voice basis. When I turn a knob on the Launch Control the midi channel, CC number and value appear in the FH-2 display. I'm not sure how I should use this information to fill in the envelope section of the web app.

In the MIDI/CV converters section of the FH-2 manual, on page 19, it says that the envelope function is assigned an output last. (Rather than the order that the column appears in on the web app screen.) So, assuming four outputs for each voice (in the case where I don't check Gate, for example... because I would like to make use of my FHX-8GT someday) does this mean I should fill in the _4th_ line of the Portamento/Transpose/Envelope section with the MIDI channel number and CC number for each knob as they show up in the FH-2 display as appropriate for Attack, Decay, etc.
I've tried putting them in several different lines and nothing seems to work.

And what triggers the FH-2 to start sending the envelope out of an output anyway?

Obviously, my understanding is incomplete and/or just wrong. Maybe someone who has been down this path can help me out. At this point I'm just getting frustrated and I'd like to start making some noise.

Thanks for reading!
os
Quote:
And what triggers the FH-2 to start sending the envelope out of an output anyway?

The envelope triggers whenever the gate/trigger does.

Quote:
So, assuming four outputs for each voice (in the case where I don't check Gate, for example... because I would like to make use of my FHX-8GT someday) does this mean I should fill in the _4th_ line of the Portamento/Transpose/Envelope section with the MIDI channel number and CC number for each knob as they show up in the FH-2 display as appropriate for Attack, Decay, etc.

No. The lines of the Portamento/Transpose/Envelope section correspond to the lines of the MIDI/CV Converters section. (Both are numbered 1-16 for MIDI/CV converters 1-16.)
os
PS the envelopes should start working as soon as you've enabled them in the MIDI/CV converter. You don't need to map the CCs to change the envelope times for them to work - you should get envelopes with default times as soon as it's enabled.
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
Quote:

The envelope triggers whenever the gate/trigger does.

Quote:
So, assuming four outputs for each voice (in the case where I don't check Gate, for example... because I would like to make use of my FHX-8GT someday) does this mean I should fill in the _4th_ line of the Portamento/Transpose/Envelope section with the MIDI channel number and CC number for each knob as they show up in the FH-2 display as appropriate for Attack, Decay, etc.

No. The lines of the Portamento/Transpose/Envelope section correspond to the lines of the MIDI/CV Converters section. (Both are numbered 1-16 for MIDI/CV converters 1-16.)

Thanks for responding.

So, if I understand you correctly it is not possible to use a different envelope for each separate "voice" when a converter is in MPE mode? Does that mean that the one envelope affects all the MPE pitch/CV outputs? Or is it the one envelope affecting just the first CV output?

As long as I know what I am dealing with... I guess I can start exploring other combinations of MONO, POLY, etc.

Thanks
os
It's one envelope per voice, exactly the same as the poly mode.
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
It's one envelope per voice, exactly the same as the poly mode.

Thanks. I guess that's perfectly reasonable.

Thinking further about what I am trying to do, when I get some time, I may experiment with using the note range converter parameters. Seems like I might be able to split the keyboard into regions with different envelope responses? Still working through the relationship between converters and physical module outputs... Either I need more expanders... or I should just stop trying to coerce my modular into a multi-timbral polyphonic synth.

Thanks again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1