MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pete Shelley RIP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Pete Shelley RIP
thispoison
Can't believe it, the king of that era for me. Perfect songs. cry
Licudi
Everyone remembers Shelley's perfect pop songs, but his electronic music was less well known; it might be said that Homosapien, his solo album with Martin Rushent, was the dry run for The Human League's Dare. Also he gave the Manchester scene a big kick up the arse when Factory was still at an embryonic stage.
Torn n Frayed
authorless
He was also a very early practitioner of electronic music in the classic sence. This is from 1974:

authorless
Not to mention, the Buzzcocks are one of my favorite punk rock bands.
cretaceousear
Futuresound
sad
Licudi
I remember seeing The Buzzcocks supported by Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls with Martin Hannett. Can't remember if John Cooper Clarke was on the bill as well. Can't even remember the year - 1980?

Of course, Shelley wasn't the only songwriter in the Buzzcocks, with both Howard Devoto and Steve Diggle making notable contributions. This is The Cocks live earlier this year:

umma gumma
ah, sad news, RIP

I picked up this LP recently, in a used record bin. unfortunately there was no computer program with it. but it must have been a very cool concept, when it came out

thispoison
umma gumma wrote:
ah, sad news, RIP

I picked up this LP recently, in a used record bin. unfortunately there was no computer program with it. but it must have been a very cool concept, when it came out

It's the last track on the b-side - audio goes direct into a ZX Spectrum (tape drive).
syzygywell
Yeah this hit me a bit hard tonight. I loved Homosapien, I was more familiar with Shelley and Devoto's individual work than I was with Buzzcocks mostly due to when I became a teenager but I do have an appreciation for their influence.

It's a bit weird to think how many people are gone I grew up listening to. Some I didn't know about even because it happened before or just about the time the internet got going like Rob Fisher (Naked Eyes) who died in 1999 and Paul Raven 2007 (Killing Joke).
Spectromat
R.I.P
dubonaire
Licudi wrote:
Everyone remembers Shelley's perfect pop songs, but his electronic music was less well known; it might be said that Homosapien, his solo album with Martin Rushent, was the dry run for The Human League's Dare. Also he gave the Manchester scene a big kick up the arse when Factory was still at an embryonic stage.

And resurrected by Bpitch Control around the end of the last millenium.

Wow, I really am getting old.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1