MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob(ish) checking for blindspots in build upgrade
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Noob(ish) checking for blindspots in build upgrade
MrModernMonkey
Hey friends,

I'm relatively new to modular but not to synths by any means. I have Moog, etc.

Right now I have a MN Cartesian and want to expand into a 208hp size system. Do you gurus see any things that are missing or redundant here?


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/800201

Also, the sound I'm going for is like if Kaitlyn A Smith and Robert AA Lowe had a meditative space baby.

I really appreciate your feedback!
JohnLRice
Hi MrModernMonkey, welcome to Muff's! w00t

You might get a better response to your question if you posted it in the Eurorack section:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

I wouldn't make a new post though, maybe wait a day or three for one of the moderators to move the thread? cool
R.U.Nuts
I'd swap Rosie for some more VCAs and get black panels and white rogans for everything Miley Cyrus
MarcelP
Clouds has no attenuation on the inputs - and it does need that control. Maybe get a uClouds and use the extra space for some attenuation or (more generally useful) VCAs?
ipassenger
To echo the above, more vcas and ideally some normal ones (not just vactrols).

If you can get a vca that can also be a bias and an offset. That way it can be an attenuator and then vca if you need it later in the patching.
BailyDread
i think you need more flexible CV generation/modulation. a Pam's new workout would work well to fill the gaps that the the math's leaves. the telharmonic seems to be something people resell rather quickly after buying so maybe you could consider scrapping that. i don't have experience with it though, maybe that's your thing.
MrModernMonkey
This is all super helpful. I really appreciate it! So, I'll definitely grab more VCAs, and perhaps swap the Tempi with Pamela's New Workout.

Yeah, I'm a little unsure about the Telharmonic. It sounds cool, but I'm not sure what it contributes that an extra STO couldn't achieve.

Great call on the black plates. Each of the modules I already own is in black. I want to keep it that way as much as I can. Thank you for pointing me to Rogan knobs! They're gonna look perfect.
MrModernMonkey
I did some revision and have this as the plan now. Feels stronger. Thank you Guinness ftw!



https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/800201
BailyDread
MrModernMonkey wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little unsure about the Telharmonic. It sounds cool, but I'm not sure what it contributes that an extra STO couldn't achieve.


when I first started, I wanted a lot of these digital modules that can do chords, crazy timbres etc... I thought that the flexibility of these modules would give me a wider range of workable sounds... This may be true, but I hardly use the ones I have, and have found that more bread-and-butter oscillators give me much more usable results. These kinds of modules, IMO, give very complicated sounds that just tend to either drown out any other voices or distract from them with something that really doesn't add much to the patch. Depends on what you're going for of course

Personally, I think simpler oscillators are preferable for a beginner. They allow you to really learn and master FM, cv modulation, etc. A module like a telharmonic which has all these exotic programmed parameters instead of straightforward functions may take a while to learn, only for that knowledge to not really apply much to the rest of your system.

edit: also... may be worth considering some mults and maybe a utility like the SSF Tool-Box

2nd edit: what is the Rosie for, really? If you're using it as an output module, you could just get an external DI box and save yourself the HP. VCA out into DI box. A Radial Pro D2 is good for this and has a -15 dB pad for very hot signals such as euro.
ayruos
I have a somewhat similar setup, extended from a MN System Cartesian. Might want to look into another CV source and another set of attenuverters is highly recommended considering the MN modules like doing unipolar functions (Wogglebug, Maths) and the MI modules expect bipolar -5V to 5V. Maths helps in attenuverting but another set would be highly useful, specially if you're doing in offsets.
rew_
BailyDread wrote:
when I first started, I wanted a lot of these digital modules that can do chords, crazy timbres etc... I thought that the flexibility of these modules would give me a wider range of workable sounds... This may be true, but I hardly use the ones I have, and have found that more bread-and-butter oscillators give me much more usable results.


+1

let the complexity/flexibility come from your cv sources, filters, quantizers, etc
pieter
rew_ wrote:
BailyDread wrote:
when I first started, I wanted a lot of these digital modules that can do chords, crazy timbres etc... I thought that the flexibility of these modules would give me a wider range of workable sounds... This may be true, but I hardly use the ones I have, and have found that more bread-and-butter oscillators give me much more usable results.


+1

let the complexity/flexibility come from your cv sources, filters, quantizers, etc


+1 from me also. Although the Loquelic Iteritas is a feast for any filter, and gets me some really nice results.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group