MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Group buys - joysticks and pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Group buys - joysticks and pots
flight
Oh yeah, I gotta give due respect:

BugBrand Your example is what convinced me to give doing this business a try, thank you. I hope we get to meet some day so I can buy you a beer!
neandrewthal
flight wrote:

Pots:
G&H finally got back to me - identical to Alpha pots (different stamp on case of course): $0.099 each for 1000! eek! $99 bucks total! Gentlemen, start yer bidding.

OMG. If I like the samples I`m gonna stock up for life.

That`s so cheap, it makes more sense to just buy 100 of any uncommon value, than to do the work of counting how many I need Mr. Green
johans121
flight wrote:
Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500

I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order wink

(this is my first post here, I can't believe I've never run into this forum before!!!! Where have I been?!?)

-Jim
wetterberg
johans121 wrote:
flight wrote:
Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500

I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order wink

(this is my first post here, I can't believe I've never run into this forum before!!!! Where have I been?!?)

-Jim
drooling over the Appendage at electro-music - same here - welcome, controller freak smile

Andreas
johans121
wetterberg wrote:
johans121 wrote:
flight wrote:
Joysticks:

-Jim
drooling over the Appendage at electro-music - same here - welcome, controller freak smile

Andreas

Goes to show that great minds think alike! Or morons smile j/k grin

-Jim
flight
neandrewthal wrote:
OMG. If I like the samples I`m gonna stock up for life.

Heh, Fortunately, I've been so busy I forgot to send the samples d'oh! I say fortunately because I was just going to send Song Huei pots. I'll put a bag of both (I only have one G&H pot, and it's a D-shaft, 90° mount) in Priority tomorrow.

johans121 wrote:
I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order

Um, that depends on how many you want. smile If you want less than 500, they cost a bit more. Most of the others won't have cash until January, so we'd be lacking the "group" part of "group buy". wink
Email me with exact numbers and I'll see what I can do.
wetterberg
flight wrote:
johans121 wrote:
I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order

Um, that depends on how many you want. smile If you want less than 500, they cost a bit more. Most of the others won't have cash until January, so we'd be lacking the "group" part of "group buy". wink
I think waiting for x amount of time is both a given and essential - only big manufacturers like Doepfer would ever buy 500 joysticks, I think.

I *think* I can be down for like 20, tops. But 20 of those will make 10 really cool controllers!
flight
@ neandrewthal: Um, afer seeing how much it would cost to ship priority ($16 unless I use an envelope razz), I'm going to have to ship it parcel post.
johans121
flight wrote:

Email sent.....

Thanks,
Jim
neandrewthal
flight wrote:
@ neandrewthal: Um, afer seeing how much it would cost to ship priority ($16 unless I use an envelope razz), I'm going to have to ship it parcel post.

Oh, don't worry about that. There's no rush. You can just throw them in with my PB's and stuff after I stop picking my ass and decide what to do about those power supplies mehwink
flight
heh, w00t then.
Kwote
flight
ummmmmm, k.
felix
Holy crap! 95 South! Wow...that feels like forever ago.
gzifcak
hi,
i just joined and would love to get some joysticks and maybe some pots!
thanks,
greg
flight
Hello and welcome Greg!
I'll add you to the list - what exactly are you interested in? That is:
Joysticks:
Resistance
size
quantity

Pots:
resistance
taper
quantity
hpsounds
Hi everybody !

hyper

I've just join this forum (but I was a regular reader since the begining ! )

I've already emailed flight for 4 joysticks. I don't really know which one I will choose : the small one with 10k is perfect for my MidiBox project, the big one seems more "comfortable" (90 degres) but is 100k. So, my question is : how to transform a 100k joystick to a 10k joystick ? What kind of component should I use ? Sorry for this "simple" question but I'm new in SDIY stuffs.

we're not worthy

Thanks for your time and helps.

Hedi K.
flight
Hey hpsounds!

I should have been more clear:
There are others that want 10k, just not many. This just means that they will cost a little more. There is still a month to go, and there may be others who want some though.

Anyway, I think you might be able to put an 11k (I haven't calculated the exact value) resistor in parallel with the joystick and get the 10k you need. I'll try this out and get back to you.

smile
Kwote
i might be up for the bigger joysticks but i'm tapped out til january so i don't wanna promise quite yet.
neandrewthal
I got my pot samples today. Thanks a bunch! Now, time for reviews:

First up, the Song Huei pots(I believe that is what you call the ones shown in the picture you posted)

I like these. They have a nice amount of resistance and are maybe even a bit smoother then the 16mm alphas I'm using. When I bend the pins up at a right angle, they have just a little more clearance for packing them into tight spaces than the alphas, which is a big plus. As for electrical performance, first thing I did was throw them in my main VCO as the tuning knobs, as this is the ultimate test. They go up and down the frequency range nice and smoothly and it's fairly easy to tune.

Next, the G&H pot.

I'm not quite sold on this one yet. There is a bit too much resistance for me FWIW, I am using small knobs with very little traction. Maybe I would like it better with soft touch knobs. Also, the pins stick out pretty far before the right angle bend, so it will be harder to cram them into tight spaces. I haven't tried this one in a powered module yet.

So, where do we stand currently on these as for what you will have available and minimum orders etc? It seems I'm the only one interested in the pots, and I can't make the minimum amount alone. help

If I change my mind about the G&H ones, I'd be interested in a huge amount. If not, here is what I'll probably be interested in for the Song hueis. Don't know for sure yet, though.

3-500 B100K
50 A100k
50 B1M
50 B500K
50 B50K
50 B10K
flight
Ah, excellent, I've been waiting to hear about those. smile

By "resistance" I assume you are speaking of rotational torque?

I agree with your general opinions - the Song Huei pots are the nicest of this style I have yet to see. Their customer service is also absolutely phenomenal: friendly, very fast response. They volunteered the samples in their first response to me & they arrived 3 days later.

G&H:
Yeah, I dislike the length of the pins as well, the 90° bend is too far from the body of the pot. That style, however, is common to all the manufacturers of this type of pot. For some reason, they all offer these long rear-facing 90° pins. They also all offer short front-facing 90° pins, which is just weird - the only unit I've seen that has short rear-facing pins is the 90° dual model, and only on the rear unit. They (the short 90° singles) can be special-ordered, but I don't know the cost.

I'll be getting plenty of the 100k and 1M in both A&B, so no issue on minimums there. Is anybody else interested in the other values?
neandrewthal
flight wrote:

I'll be getting plenty of the 100k and 1M in both A&B, so no issue on minimums there.

Which brand?

Quote:

Is anybody else interested in the other values?

Come on, you know you want 'em. Dinner at the Y
flight
Probably Song Huei if you're not up for the GH.
wetterberg
which dates are the last commit-to-buy dates, and when do we drop the cash?

I'm aligning some projects now, and would very much like to be able to stock a full set of a range of values.
flight
Well, The general desire is January. I'll do the final tally in a couple weeks, before New Years. First week of Jan or so I'll contact everyone to collect the dough then place the order.

The only problem/annoyance is that the Chinese New Year celebrations are coming up, and they can last up to a month, so the order might take longer than otherwise. BTW, the joysticks: the materials come from Japan & are assembled in China, so they're affected as well.

I'll try to have the numbers out around the 20th. Opinions & suggestions welcome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6