MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Group buys - joysticks and pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Group buys - joysticks and pots
flight
I'm still waiting on a couple potentiometer vendors, but joysticks are a go and I've found some good pots in the same style as the Alphas at Futurlec - but with Re'an knob length shafts - at a good price.

I will stock the joysticks in the future (once I can afford to), but would like to start a list of those interested in a group buy of them and/or the pots. Due to the all-time low of the US dollar, the joysticks aren't as cheap as I would like; but they are still cheaper than anything else (and feel nicer as well).

Details on joysticks and pots below. Pricing is determined by quantity of course, but the pots would be around $0.30 USD each, joysticks around $30.00 USD. These are highball costs, I'll give an accurate number once I have an idea on quantity and shipping costs.

Joysticks

Linear only, standard value is 10k. 100k available with "much longer" lead times. I'm waiting to hear back about 5k and other options.

The small joysticks have 60° travel, the large 90°. The picture is of older styles which are discontinued, but very close to the current ones. Current smalls are built like the large one in the pic, with PCB mounts and threaded panel-mounting holes. The current large ones look the same but now have the threaded panel-mounting holes.

Pots
(I'll post a picture later today)
16mm PCB mount, just like the rotary Alphas at Futurlec. These have the 15mm overall shaft length, so they don't have to be cut down, and the PCB pins are ~1mm longer. They feel the same (they sent me some samples), nice and smooth. Another plus: the washers are tighter tolerance, so they don't slip as far off-center as the Alpha ones do.

Let me know if you're interested, and how many you want of what! I'll keep a tally and let you know when we have enough. smile

~flight
wetterberg
very cool!
So you're saying that the larger ones can be panel mounted, too? What are the diameters of them?
flight
Oh yeah!
Here's the mechanical drawings:
Large (PDF, 66k)
Small (PDF, 63k)

These joysticks include the solid aluminum knob.

I also forgot to mention:
Pots - the values I will be getting are
B100k
A100k
A1M
spbaker
great work!!
i'd be down for a joystick or two (and i know some of the VICMOD crew will be too) and some pots.
good work Flight!! Guinness ftw!
Luka
im down for a few joysticks
plord
I'm down for some joysticks, hell yes. At least 2 at 10K, maybe 4.

Suddenly had this notion: if it turns out we can get 100K, then you could build Ray Wilson's stereo mixer with a row of joysticks for volume and fade instead of two rows of pots, and another row of joysticks for FX send 1 adn 2 instead of the other two rows of pots. That could be um, unorthodox and cool smile

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STEREOMIXER2006/STEREOM IXER2006.php
neandrewthal
I'd have to try out a couple of pots. If I like 'em I'd be down for about 500 B100k at that price, but I can't guarantee anything til I've tried them out.
krisp14u
Hay flight put me down for at least 4 joysticks mabe more if the price is good

cheers
JohnLRice
Just doing some joy stick "window shopping" today, mostly expensive looking stuff but cool to look at! hihi

http://www.potentiometers.com/select_joystick.cfm?session_num=20081108 02040921

http://www.p3america.com/industrial_joystick_finger_selection_guide.ht m

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-JOYSTICK-WITH-POTENTIOMETERS-MADE-BY-BOW MAR_W0QQitemZ260292882129
flight
Sorry for not responding yesterday (and not putting up that pic), a bit much to do right now. I'll have that pic up today.

@ wetterberg, Panel-mounted: Yeah, according to the drawings they
have four M2 holes on the front now. With the INM, I just drilled four holes and used self-tapping screws to mount them to the panel.

@ spbaker: Thank you! I've been hunting these damn things since I first saw them about four years ago - no manufacturer can hide from my OCD! RE VICMOD: Good point, could you sic Ross on that?

@ Luka: Great! Are you with VICMOD, by any chance?

@ plord: I like that idea smile - sounds like fun!

BTW - I'll make euro and frac joystick controllers now that these are available, passive and buffered. I'd appreciate any input on these. smile

@ neandrewthal: Sounds good. Shoot me an email and I'll send you some. I have some of their samples left.

@ krisp14u: Will do, large or small?

@ everybody wanting joysticks: I need to know which size! The smalls are cheaper, of course, but I prefer the 90° swing of the large ones - much more control.

@ JohnLRice: Wow, that Bowmar controller on Ebay is really cheap for that style! I love how those look.

Another thing I forgot: These joysticks have a spring return option too.
JohnLRice
flight wrote:
@ JohnLRice: Wow, that Bowmar controller on Ebay is really cheap for that style! I love how those look.

Yes! love I checked and these go for around $100 retail so $55 is a great price! I love how thick and precision looking the metal is . . . and the "deadman" switch is cool too. Makes me want to buy one now so i can use it some day in a project but . . .it's a lot of money to spend on something I may never use!
plord
For me: Large size with 90 degree swing, 10K and 100K.

For your planned Joysticks: maybe include output attenuation on the module? Otherwise as simple and small as possible smile
flight
@ JohnLRice: I'd love to find those for cheap, but they look pretty huge - not a problem in a rack though - and the wirewound can be objectionable in audio or CV.

@ plord: w00t, thanks. I'm going for the 100k pots as well for the INM, they are available (I have some), just not as popular, so they would have to get the pots made I think.

These joysticks have custom pots for the joystick swing, so 0R->Rmax in 60° or 90°.

Module: Yeah, I was thinking a passive one for use as a crossfader, usw., with just I/O jacks and I/O attenuators. And a more complex active setup for whatever.
flight
Pics:

I forgot to have the nut and washer in the picture, cope. wink
wetterberg
JohnLRice wrote:
Just doing some joy stick "window shopping" today, mostly expensive looking stuff but cool to look at! hihi
you're one bad-ass googler!
JohnLRice wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-JOYSTICK-WITH-POTENTIOMETERS-MADE-BY-BOW MAR_W0QQitemZ260292882129
love love at 55usd that's actually a STEAL!!
Luka
flight wrote:

@ Luka: Great! Are you with VICMOD, by any chance?

ahh no, but you can lump my order in with theirs if they order some, it would be a good chance to meet ross and crew. im down for 4 joysticks pref 100k if possible. if the price comes down due to group buy size i might be up for 6 and im not worried about lead time. to be honest i wont be able to afford much until the new year. got too much partying to do smile
flight
@ luka: You should definitely talk to those guys, Ross is working me for other deals as well wink.

Everybody: The order will happen in January most likely. I'm also talking to other synth manufacturers who are in the purchasing co-op so we can get as good a deal as possible. Hopefully, the USD will have increased in value by then as well.
spbaker
awesome awesome awesome! i'll swing out an email to the VICMOD crew today giving them the heads up, i reckon most will be in for the 100k ones, i guess we just gotta get enough to get the price down grin

january is a great time frame for this too!
Luka
can you lump mine in with the vicmod order scott
krisp14u
flight wrote:

@ krisp14u: Will do, large or small?

sorry both 2 of each and 100k but 10k would be ok
but if your only going for one then large
flight
@ Luka: Will do smile

@ krisp14u: Sounds good. Small is fine too though, I'm sure others will want them so it shouldn't be a problem.
flight
Okiedokie, here's some pricing updates:

Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500
Small, same options - $12.48 in quantities of 500

Pots:
G&H finally got back to me - identical to Alpha pots (different stamp on case of course): $0.099 each for 1000! eek! $99 bucks total! Gentlemen, start yer bidding.

9mm dual pots, concentric shaft: $1.21 at MOQ of 1000. http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=9MM2HB-B&Catego ry=60655
I'm aiming for B100k/B100k for the Coarse/Fine control on the upcoming Imp module.
BugBrand
...emailed you about these...(joysticks)
Cheers!
wetterberg
Fantastic that you've done all this leg-work, man!
flight wrote:
Okiedokie, here's some pricing updates:

Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500
Small, same options - $12.48 in quantities of 500
wow, that's a FANTASTIC price! An idea; the difference in size of casing between the small and the large is very small, when considering the fact that you'll need some spacing between it and surrounding components for moving the stick.

I will definitely take a stack of the big ones, if anything then for the custom midi controllers we do in my company! It looks a lot like the one used in the Plan B model 32 Vector Plotter:
http://www.ear-group.net/m32.jpg
flight wrote:
Pots:
G&H finally got back to me - identical to Alpha pots (different stamp on case of course): $0.099 each for 1000! eek! $99 bucks total! Gentlemen, start yer bidding.
Crikey! That's a great price! So am I correct in assuming that that is "per value", that we can't mix and match, right?
flight wrote:

9mm dual pots, concentric shaft: $1.21 at MOQ of 1000. http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=9MM2HB-B&Catego ry=60655
I'm aiming for B100k/B100k for the Coarse/Fine control on the upcoming Imp module.
will you be able to sell those in smaller portions? I could imagine designing some nifty parametric eq controllers from these, provided we also locate some reasonably priced knob sets for them smile

Keep it up, my friend. I will see if can't make some of this happen - will find money in the budget to pick up a stack.

Oh, one last question; will this be drop shipped, or will you have to handle the distribution?

much love,
Andreas.
flight
Thank you! Ahh, the benefits of OCD smile
Quote:
wow, that's a FANTASTIC price! An idea; the difference in size of casing between the small and the large is very small, when considering the fact that you'll need some spacing between it and surrounding components for moving the stick.

Agreed, but the drawback to the larger size is the larger arc. On the v1.0 INM, I spaced the joysticks about an inch apart. When I was doing the final build test, I found that the knobs hit each other when the sticks were moved directly toward each other. This doesn't happen with the smaller 60° joysticks.
I like the big ones regardless, and am posting about the small ones in case somebody wants some smile

Quote:
It looks a lot like the one used in the Plan B model 32 Vector Plotter

Yup, that stick looks exactly the same. But the bolt pattern is different - the Plan B has 3 holes in a triangle, while mine have 4 in a square. Hmm, I may have to set the dogs back on the hunt...

I'm definitely going to continue researching the duals. I hate having to use two separate pots when one will work, and makes more sense even! This is especially important for euro and frac formats - trim down the panels a bit.

Quote:
Crikey! That's a great price! So am I correct in assuming that that is "per value", that we can't mix and match, right?

Correct. I will be ordering B100k, A100k, and A1M. At these prices though, it shouldn't be hard for those that want other values to meet the minimum.

Quote:
will you be able to sell those in smaller portions? I could imagine designing some nifty parametric eq controllers from these, provided we also locate some reasonably priced knob sets for them

Oh yeah. Hell, I don't need that many either - I'm gonna have to make up some uses for them!
I'm looking into knob sources, but these are even harder to find at decent prices for concentrics. I know Re'an and Sifam make them, I haven't gotten a quote back yet though. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I know that Boss uses concentrics on some of their pedals, anybody work there? wink

Quote:
Oh, one last question; will this be drop shipped, or will you have to handle the distribution?

Damn good question! I believe it depends on quantity. If there is no single person that meets the minimum, then I'll have to parse and parcel them out myself. I don't think the factory will be too keen on shipping one order in 20 packages to 20 different locations. But, as long as no-one is in a hurry, the shipping charges FOB my place should be less than USD$10 anywhere if under 4lbs, and under USD$30 if more than 4lbs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6