MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Group buys - joysticks and pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Group buys - joysticks and pots
flight
I'm still waiting on a couple potentiometer vendors, but joysticks are a go and I've found some good pots in the same style as the Alphas at Futurlec - but with Re'an knob length shafts - at a good price.

I will stock the joysticks in the future (once I can afford to), but would like to start a list of those interested in a group buy of them and/or the pots. Due to the all-time low of the US dollar, the joysticks aren't as cheap as I would like; but they are still cheaper than anything else (and feel nicer as well).

Details on joysticks and pots below. Pricing is determined by quantity of course, but the pots would be around $0.30 USD each, joysticks around $30.00 USD. These are highball costs, I'll give an accurate number once I have an idea on quantity and shipping costs.

Joysticks

Linear only, standard value is 10k. 100k available with "much longer" lead times. I'm waiting to hear back about 5k and other options.

The small joysticks have 60° travel, the large 90°. The picture is of older styles which are discontinued, but very close to the current ones. Current smalls are built like the large one in the pic, with PCB mounts and threaded panel-mounting holes. The current large ones look the same but now have the threaded panel-mounting holes.

Pots
(I'll post a picture later today)
16mm PCB mount, just like the rotary Alphas at Futurlec. These have the 15mm overall shaft length, so they don't have to be cut down, and the PCB pins are ~1mm longer. They feel the same (they sent me some samples), nice and smooth. Another plus: the washers are tighter tolerance, so they don't slip as far off-center as the Alpha ones do.

Let me know if you're interested, and how many you want of what! I'll keep a tally and let you know when we have enough. smile

~flight
wetterberg
very cool!
So you're saying that the larger ones can be panel mounted, too? What are the diameters of them?
flight
Oh yeah!
Here's the mechanical drawings:
Large (PDF, 66k)
Small (PDF, 63k)

These joysticks include the solid aluminum knob.

I also forgot to mention:
Pots - the values I will be getting are
B100k
A100k
A1M
spbaker
great work!!
i'd be down for a joystick or two (and i know some of the VICMOD crew will be too) and some pots.
good work Flight!! Guinness ftw!
Luka
im down for a few joysticks
plord
I'm down for some joysticks, hell yes. At least 2 at 10K, maybe 4.

Suddenly had this notion: if it turns out we can get 100K, then you could build Ray Wilson's stereo mixer with a row of joysticks for volume and fade instead of two rows of pots, and another row of joysticks for FX send 1 adn 2 instead of the other two rows of pots. That could be um, unorthodox and cool smile

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STEREOMIXER2006/STEREOM IXER2006.php
neandrewthal
I'd have to try out a couple of pots. If I like 'em I'd be down for about 500 B100k at that price, but I can't guarantee anything til I've tried them out.
krisp14u
Hay flight put me down for at least 4 joysticks mabe more if the price is good

cheers
JohnLRice
Just doing some joy stick "window shopping" today, mostly expensive looking stuff but cool to look at! hihi

http://www.potentiometers.com/select_joystick.cfm?session_num=20081108 02040921

http://www.p3america.com/industrial_joystick_finger_selection_guide.ht m

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-JOYSTICK-WITH-POTENTIOMETERS-MADE-BY-BOW MAR_W0QQitemZ260292882129
flight
Sorry for not responding yesterday (and not putting up that pic), a bit much to do right now. I'll have that pic up today.

@ wetterberg, Panel-mounted: Yeah, according to the drawings they
have four M2 holes on the front now. With the INM, I just drilled four holes and used self-tapping screws to mount them to the panel.

@ spbaker: Thank you! I've been hunting these damn things since I first saw them about four years ago - no manufacturer can hide from my OCD! RE VICMOD: Good point, could you sic Ross on that?

@ Luka: Great! Are you with VICMOD, by any chance?

@ plord: I like that idea smile - sounds like fun!

BTW - I'll make euro and frac joystick controllers now that these are available, passive and buffered. I'd appreciate any input on these. smile

@ neandrewthal: Sounds good. Shoot me an email and I'll send you some. I have some of their samples left.

@ krisp14u: Will do, large or small?

@ everybody wanting joysticks: I need to know which size! The smalls are cheaper, of course, but I prefer the 90° swing of the large ones - much more control.

@ JohnLRice: Wow, that Bowmar controller on Ebay is really cheap for that style! I love how those look.

Another thing I forgot: These joysticks have a spring return option too.
JohnLRice
flight wrote:
@ JohnLRice: Wow, that Bowmar controller on Ebay is really cheap for that style! I love how those look.

Yes! love I checked and these go for around $100 retail so $55 is a great price! I love how thick and precision looking the metal is . . . and the "deadman" switch is cool too. Makes me want to buy one now so i can use it some day in a project but . . .it's a lot of money to spend on something I may never use!
plord
For me: Large size with 90 degree swing, 10K and 100K.

For your planned Joysticks: maybe include output attenuation on the module? Otherwise as simple and small as possible smile
flight
@ JohnLRice: I'd love to find those for cheap, but they look pretty huge - not a problem in a rack though - and the wirewound can be objectionable in audio or CV.

@ plord: w00t, thanks. I'm going for the 100k pots as well for the INM, they are available (I have some), just not as popular, so they would have to get the pots made I think.

These joysticks have custom pots for the joystick swing, so 0R->Rmax in 60° or 90°.

Module: Yeah, I was thinking a passive one for use as a crossfader, usw., with just I/O jacks and I/O attenuators. And a more complex active setup for whatever.
flight
Pics:

I forgot to have the nut and washer in the picture, cope. wink
wetterberg
JohnLRice wrote:
Just doing some joy stick "window shopping" today, mostly expensive looking stuff but cool to look at! hihi
you're one bad-ass googler!
JohnLRice wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-JOYSTICK-WITH-POTENTIOMETERS-MADE-BY-BOW MAR_W0QQitemZ260292882129
love love at 55usd that's actually a STEAL!!
Luka
flight wrote:

@ Luka: Great! Are you with VICMOD, by any chance?

ahh no, but you can lump my order in with theirs if they order some, it would be a good chance to meet ross and crew. im down for 4 joysticks pref 100k if possible. if the price comes down due to group buy size i might be up for 6 and im not worried about lead time. to be honest i wont be able to afford much until the new year. got too much partying to do smile
flight
@ luka: You should definitely talk to those guys, Ross is working me for other deals as well wink.

Everybody: The order will happen in January most likely. I'm also talking to other synth manufacturers who are in the purchasing co-op so we can get as good a deal as possible. Hopefully, the USD will have increased in value by then as well.
spbaker
awesome awesome awesome! i'll swing out an email to the VICMOD crew today giving them the heads up, i reckon most will be in for the 100k ones, i guess we just gotta get enough to get the price down grin

january is a great time frame for this too!
Luka
can you lump mine in with the vicmod order scott
krisp14u
flight wrote:

@ krisp14u: Will do, large or small?

sorry both 2 of each and 100k but 10k would be ok
but if your only going for one then large
flight
@ Luka: Will do smile

@ krisp14u: Sounds good. Small is fine too though, I'm sure others will want them so it shouldn't be a problem.
flight
Okiedokie, here's some pricing updates:

Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500
Small, same options - $12.48 in quantities of 500

Pots:
G&H finally got back to me - identical to Alpha pots (different stamp on case of course): $0.099 each for 1000! eek! $99 bucks total! Gentlemen, start yer bidding.

9mm dual pots, concentric shaft: $1.21 at MOQ of 1000. http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=9MM2HB-B&Catego ry=60655
I'm aiming for B100k/B100k for the Coarse/Fine control on the upcoming Imp module.
BugBrand
...emailed you about these...(joysticks)
Cheers!
wetterberg
Fantastic that you've done all this leg-work, man!
flight wrote:
Okiedokie, here's some pricing updates:

Joysticks:
Large, B100k, including aluminum knob, no center-return spring - $13.10 in quantities of 500
Small, same options - $12.48 in quantities of 500
wow, that's a FANTASTIC price! An idea; the difference in size of casing between the small and the large is very small, when considering the fact that you'll need some spacing between it and surrounding components for moving the stick.

I will definitely take a stack of the big ones, if anything then for the custom midi controllers we do in my company! It looks a lot like the one used in the Plan B model 32 Vector Plotter:
http://www.ear-group.net/m32.jpg
flight wrote:
Pots:
G&H finally got back to me - identical to Alpha pots (different stamp on case of course): $0.099 each for 1000! eek! $99 bucks total! Gentlemen, start yer bidding.
Crikey! That's a great price! So am I correct in assuming that that is "per value", that we can't mix and match, right?
flight wrote:

9mm dual pots, concentric shaft: $1.21 at MOQ of 1000. http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=9MM2HB-B&Catego ry=60655
I'm aiming for B100k/B100k for the Coarse/Fine control on the upcoming Imp module.
will you be able to sell those in smaller portions? I could imagine designing some nifty parametric eq controllers from these, provided we also locate some reasonably priced knob sets for them smile

Keep it up, my friend. I will see if can't make some of this happen - will find money in the budget to pick up a stack.

Oh, one last question; will this be drop shipped, or will you have to handle the distribution?

much love,
Andreas.
flight
Thank you! Ahh, the benefits of OCD smile
Quote:
wow, that's a FANTASTIC price! An idea; the difference in size of casing between the small and the large is very small, when considering the fact that you'll need some spacing between it and surrounding components for moving the stick.

Agreed, but the drawback to the larger size is the larger arc. On the v1.0 INM, I spaced the joysticks about an inch apart. When I was doing the final build test, I found that the knobs hit each other when the sticks were moved directly toward each other. This doesn't happen with the smaller 60° joysticks.
I like the big ones regardless, and am posting about the small ones in case somebody wants some smile

Quote:
It looks a lot like the one used in the Plan B model 32 Vector Plotter

Yup, that stick looks exactly the same. But the bolt pattern is different - the Plan B has 3 holes in a triangle, while mine have 4 in a square. Hmm, I may have to set the dogs back on the hunt...

I'm definitely going to continue researching the duals. I hate having to use two separate pots when one will work, and makes more sense even! This is especially important for euro and frac formats - trim down the panels a bit.

Quote:
Crikey! That's a great price! So am I correct in assuming that that is "per value", that we can't mix and match, right?

Correct. I will be ordering B100k, A100k, and A1M. At these prices though, it shouldn't be hard for those that want other values to meet the minimum.

Quote:
will you be able to sell those in smaller portions? I could imagine designing some nifty parametric eq controllers from these, provided we also locate some reasonably priced knob sets for them

Oh yeah. Hell, I don't need that many either - I'm gonna have to make up some uses for them!
I'm looking into knob sources, but these are even harder to find at decent prices for concentrics. I know Re'an and Sifam make them, I haven't gotten a quote back yet though. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I know that Boss uses concentrics on some of their pedals, anybody work there? wink

Quote:
Oh, one last question; will this be drop shipped, or will you have to handle the distribution?

Damn good question! I believe it depends on quantity. If there is no single person that meets the minimum, then I'll have to parse and parcel them out myself. I don't think the factory will be too keen on shipping one order in 20 packages to 20 different locations. But, as long as no-one is in a hurry, the shipping charges FOB my place should be less than USD$10 anywhere if under 4lbs, and under USD$30 if more than 4lbs.
flight
Oh yeah, I gotta give due respect:

BugBrand Your example is what convinced me to give doing this business a try, thank you. I hope we get to meet some day so I can buy you a beer!
neandrewthal
flight wrote:

Pots:

OMG. If I like the samples I`m gonna stock up for life.

That`s so cheap, it makes more sense to just buy 100 of any uncommon value, than to do the work of counting how many I need Mr. Green
johans121
flight wrote:
Joysticks:

I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order wink

(this is my first post here, I can't believe I've never run into this forum before!!!! Where have I been?!?)

-Jim
wetterberg
johans121 wrote:
flight wrote:
Joysticks:

I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order wink

(this is my first post here, I can't believe I've never run into this forum before!!!! Where have I been?!?)

-Jim
drooling over the Appendage at electro-music - same here - welcome, controller freak smile

Andreas
johans121
wetterberg wrote:
johans121 wrote:
flight wrote:
Joysticks:

-Jim
drooling over the Appendage at electro-music - same here - welcome, controller freak smile

Andreas

Goes to show that great minds think alike! Or morons smile j/k grin

-Jim
flight
neandrewthal wrote:
OMG. If I like the samples I`m gonna stock up for life.

Heh, Fortunately, I've been so busy I forgot to send the samples d'oh! I say fortunately because I was just going to send Song Huei pots. I'll put a bag of both (I only have one G&H pot, and it's a D-shaft, 90° mount) in Priority tomorrow.

johans121 wrote:
I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order

Um, that depends on how many you want. smile If you want less than 500, they cost a bit more. Most of the others won't have cash until January, so we'd be lacking the "group" part of "group buy". wink
Email me with exact numbers and I'll see what I can do.
wetterberg
flight wrote:
johans121 wrote:
I am down for a large sack full of large joysticks! Is there anything that can be done to speed up the order

Um, that depends on how many you want. smile If you want less than 500, they cost a bit more. Most of the others won't have cash until January, so we'd be lacking the "group" part of "group buy". wink
I think waiting for x amount of time is both a given and essential - only big manufacturers like Doepfer would ever buy 500 joysticks, I think.

I *think* I can be down for like 20, tops. But 20 of those will make 10 really cool controllers!
flight
@ neandrewthal: Um, afer seeing how much it would cost to ship priority ($16 unless I use an envelope razz), I'm going to have to ship it parcel post.
johans121
flight wrote:

Email sent.....

Thanks,
Jim
neandrewthal
flight wrote:
@ neandrewthal: Um, afer seeing how much it would cost to ship priority ($16 unless I use an envelope razz), I'm going to have to ship it parcel post.

Oh, don't worry about that. There's no rush. You can just throw them in with my PB's and stuff after I stop picking my ass and decide what to do about those power supplies mehwink
flight
heh, w00t then.
Kwote
flight
ummmmmm, k.
felix
Holy crap! 95 South! Wow...that feels like forever ago.
gzifcak
hi,
i just joined and would love to get some joysticks and maybe some pots!
thanks,
greg
flight
Hello and welcome Greg!
I'll add you to the list - what exactly are you interested in? That is:
Joysticks:
Resistance
size
quantity

Pots:
resistance
taper
quantity
hpsounds
Hi everybody !

hyper

I've just join this forum (but I was a regular reader since the begining ! )

I've already emailed flight for 4 joysticks. I don't really know which one I will choose : the small one with 10k is perfect for my MidiBox project, the big one seems more "comfortable" (90 degres) but is 100k. So, my question is : how to transform a 100k joystick to a 10k joystick ? What kind of component should I use ? Sorry for this "simple" question but I'm new in SDIY stuffs.

we're not worthy

Thanks for your time and helps.

Hedi K.
flight
Hey hpsounds!

I should have been more clear:
There are others that want 10k, just not many. This just means that they will cost a little more. There is still a month to go, and there may be others who want some though.

Anyway, I think you might be able to put an 11k (I haven't calculated the exact value) resistor in parallel with the joystick and get the 10k you need. I'll try this out and get back to you.

smile
Kwote
i might be up for the bigger joysticks but i'm tapped out til january so i don't wanna promise quite yet.
neandrewthal
I got my pot samples today. Thanks a bunch! Now, time for reviews:

First up, the Song Huei pots(I believe that is what you call the ones shown in the picture you posted)

I like these. They have a nice amount of resistance and are maybe even a bit smoother then the 16mm alphas I'm using. When I bend the pins up at a right angle, they have just a little more clearance for packing them into tight spaces than the alphas, which is a big plus. As for electrical performance, first thing I did was throw them in my main VCO as the tuning knobs, as this is the ultimate test. They go up and down the frequency range nice and smoothly and it's fairly easy to tune.

Next, the G&H pot.

I'm not quite sold on this one yet. There is a bit too much resistance for me FWIW, I am using small knobs with very little traction. Maybe I would like it better with soft touch knobs. Also, the pins stick out pretty far before the right angle bend, so it will be harder to cram them into tight spaces. I haven't tried this one in a powered module yet.

So, where do we stand currently on these as for what you will have available and minimum orders etc? It seems I'm the only one interested in the pots, and I can't make the minimum amount alone. help

If I change my mind about the G&H ones, I'd be interested in a huge amount. If not, here is what I'll probably be interested in for the Song hueis. Don't know for sure yet, though.

3-500 B100K
50 A100k
50 B1M
50 B500K
50 B50K
50 B10K
flight
Ah, excellent, I've been waiting to hear about those. smile

By "resistance" I assume you are speaking of rotational torque?

I agree with your general opinions - the Song Huei pots are the nicest of this style I have yet to see. Their customer service is also absolutely phenomenal: friendly, very fast response. They volunteered the samples in their first response to me & they arrived 3 days later.

G&H:
Yeah, I dislike the length of the pins as well, the 90° bend is too far from the body of the pot. That style, however, is common to all the manufacturers of this type of pot. For some reason, they all offer these long rear-facing 90° pins. They also all offer short front-facing 90° pins, which is just weird - the only unit I've seen that has short rear-facing pins is the 90° dual model, and only on the rear unit. They (the short 90° singles) can be special-ordered, but I don't know the cost.

I'll be getting plenty of the 100k and 1M in both A&B, so no issue on minimums there. Is anybody else interested in the other values?
neandrewthal
flight wrote:

I'll be getting plenty of the 100k and 1M in both A&B, so no issue on minimums there.

Which brand?

Quote:

Is anybody else interested in the other values?

Come on, you know you want 'em. Dinner at the Y
flight
Probably Song Huei if you're not up for the GH.
wetterberg
which dates are the last commit-to-buy dates, and when do we drop the cash?

I'm aligning some projects now, and would very much like to be able to stock a full set of a range of values.
flight
Well, The general desire is January. I'll do the final tally in a couple weeks, before New Years. First week of Jan or so I'll contact everyone to collect the dough then place the order.

The only problem/annoyance is that the Chinese New Year celebrations are coming up, and they can last up to a month, so the order might take longer than otherwise. BTW, the joysticks: the materials come from Japan & are assembled in China, so they're affected as well.

I'll try to have the numbers out around the 20th. Opinions & suggestions welcome.
flight
And, of course, I forgot to post here:

I found a supplier that has the old-style 100k large joysticks almost exactly like in the picture on Muffwiggler. the only difference is the knob which is cylindrical, 6mm round by 17mm long. Picture here: http://www.flightofharmony.com/images/stuff/jstick2.jpg
$10.00 each. I want to get these before someone else does, so this will be in the next day or so.

We're almost there, less than one hundred to go! So if there's anyone who wants some, let me know via email or PM.
Kwote
flight wrote:
And, of course, I forgot to post here:

I found a supplier that has the old-style 100k large joysticks almost exactly like in the picture on Muffwiggler. the only difference is the knob which is cylindrical, 6mm round by 17mm long. Picture here: http://www.flightofharmony.com/images/stuff/jstick2.jpg
$10.00 each. I want to get these before someone else does, so this will be in the next day or so.

We're almost there, less than one hundred to go! So if there's anyone who wants some, let me know via email or PM.

how is this price comparing with the aforementioned joysticks?
flight
The Yen is kicking EVERYONES' ass right now, so the aforementioned ones are now USD$14.198, ouch! very frustrating
The price difference is getting huge fast. Also, the $10 ones are already in the US so we don't have to absorb the (usually huge) original shipping bill, which is usually in the $250-$500 range.
Kwote
oh wow. mark me down for the $10.00 USA ones then. i'll take two. just tell me where to send the $20.00 and it'll be on it's way within the hour.
consumed
dont know how i missed this thread. sent PM for 4 'sticks, maybe more.
flight
@ kwote: here's my form response (40 people so far):
Quote:
Excellent, I'll get back to you with specifics after we have enough, but the generals: once this is confirmed, send money to me via PayPal, I order joysticks (shipped to me in bulk), I split the batch & send them out

wink
Kwote
flight wrote:
@ kwote: here's my form response (40 people so far):
Quote:
Excellent, I'll get back to you with specifics after we have enough, but the generals: once this is confirmed, send money to me via PayPal, I order joysticks (shipped to me in bulk), I split the batch & send them out

wink

ok. just figured i'd push a little since you said you wanna grab the $10.00 ones in a day or two.

just send me a pm with your paypal info when you're ready to do this.

werd.
flight
Heh, thank you! But I'm busy trying to source parts for several projects & don't want to think I have more money than I do.

I'm still very hesitant about taking people's money (even for the PBs). Weirds me out - it's the Asperger's/ADHD thing. razz

Oh yeah, I spoke with the supplier today & he said it'll only be $40.00 to ship them all to me. grin
consumed
a very very useful tool for calculating resistance mods:

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=12520
parasitk
flight wrote:
ADHD

Ooh, I want an ADHD module!
flight
@ consumed: That's pretty cool, thanks! I usually just use the parallel formulae:
unknown total: Rt=(RaRb)/(Ra+Rb), or
known total: Rx=|(RtRa)/(Ra-Rt)|

But it's nice to see the asymptotic exponential behavior of the range plotted out like that. I added half-log and full log charts, check out the slope of 1k parallel: http://www.flightofharmony.com/tools/pot_parallel_resistor_720.xls

@ parasitk: I have a whole bottle of those! It says "Adderall XR" on the label tho. Sorry, you can't get 'em - you need a prescription. wink
flight
We've reached the minimum, so I'm starting the collection. hyper

Each joystick is 1.7oz./48.11g.
Packaging will be between 1.5oz - 5oz.
You can calculate your postage by going to http://www.usps.com, go to "Calculate postage", select your location & enter my details -
F.O.B.: I'll be shipping them from Seattle, Washington, 98115, USA

PayPal to my email below.

Thanks everyone, good job!
brandon daniel
sent.
flight
got it, thanks!
plord
also sent!
flight
SlayerBadger!
Cybananna
sent.

Guinness ftw!
flight
w00tz!
Soy Sos
$$$$$$$ent!
Kwote
SlayerBadger! sent! SlayerBadger!
wetterberg
payment arranged!

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

(in a movie trailer voice:)
Coming in 2009 - we can all be: THE MASTERS OF THE PLAN B M THIRTY TWO!!!!
flight
lol!
flight
RANT WARNING
I just received the batch of pots from Song Huei, and am now feeling 1000% vindicated.
Not so much from this forum, but when I spoke of getting these or the GH pots I received a number of attacks via email.
I am so fucking sick of the decrepit, stagnated, atrophied, thoroughly rotten and dripping of decay bullshit american mindset.
The "if I don't know it or it comes from forn parts, it must be shit" mentality.

I opened one of the four large boxes that I received, inside were two more boxes, plus two bags: one of washers, one of nuts. Upon opening one of the smaller boxes, I decided I had to take a contrast picture. Yesterday I received the "emergency" order of Alpha pots from Futurlec that was supposed to be here on the 23d. Any of you who have ordered large quantities of pots from Futurlec knows that they are shipped directly from the factory in Thailand, and you know they are in thin plastic bags that are guaranteed to have broken by the time you've received them.
I put the contents of two of those bags - exactly as they were removed from the paper envelope - nearby to show the contrast, and why I despise Alpha.

(Thumbnail, click for BIG pic)

I'd also like to mention that, this time, I had ordered 100kA, 100kB, and 1MA from Futurlec. The bag of 100 1MA contained 80 1MA & 20 1MB. Previous times, the bags contained different values, shaft lengths, housings styles, and pots that had been snapped in half. This batch just snaps in half when you try to insert them into the PCB. I don't know (or care) which is better.

I'm done now. My deepest gratitude to those who were either supportive, just didn't give a shit one way or the other, or at least reserved judgement. Apathy is MUCH better than aggressive ignorance.
Kwote
agression on this board? that's too bad. i hope that's not the norm.

don't flame in private it's lame.

i wrapped that moral like a gift. Ugghh!!
flight
Heh, almost a haiku!

Pardon the rant, I believe most - if not all = the flames originated off-list. I didn't sleep the night before last, so was pretty free-form yesterday...

Anyway: The Joysticks are here - all 63lbs. of them. eek!
We got the entire stock of 500, still in the factory boxes! I hope I'll find a date in there to assuage my curiosity... hmmm.....

I won't have time to get to divvying up the lot until this weekend, I'm trying to get an I.N.M together for NAMM & fill out some backlogged orders now that all my parts shipments have FINALLY come in.

BTW: did anyone else see the original PB that was up on eBay? That was awesome! K, must try that sleep thing tonight...
Luka
does that mean you will have extra joysticks to sell?
im hoping i can sort some money soon
flight
Yup, I'm going to try to keep some available for the DIY community.
neandrewthal
w00t!!
flight
Damn! I hadn't seen that emoticon before! eek!
Cybananna
Joysticks arrived today!

Thanks!
Soy Sos
Got mine today too. When I first saw the package I thought
"Woah, maybe Flight sent me some super secret digital glitch
delay prototype to test out!" Then I remembered....the joysticks.
hihi
I don't think anyone will ever be starting any
"never order from F.O.H." threads.
Keep up the great work!
wetterberg
pics, bitches! Mr. Green
flight
Yeah, sorry guys, I haven't had time or money to do any development. Soon though (gotta get the parts!). wink
Kwote
got mine too. looks good. one of em is pretty stiff though. the other is cool but a bit rough and squeaky. anyone got any tips for loosening and smoothing em up?

i figure some caig deoxit might do the trick.
flight
Hmm, try & see if they'll work loose and free up. They are probably 10-20 years old, and the lube may be caked up. If that doesn't work, you could clean them with good isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner. Or send 'em back to me and I'll send you some better ones.
plord
Got my joysticks while I was in GA this week on business. Mighty quick smile

Flight (or anyone), have you got an FPD with the right cutouts and mounting screw holes etc? I'll probably jump on the DIY module kits but I have other plans for the panel.
flight
I assume you are speaking of a Front Panel Express native format file? Nope. But the datasheet is below, it has the PCB hole pattern at least.
Of course, these were not designed to be panel mounted, so they don't have those specs. Which way are you mounting them - drill holes in the corners or replace the hub screws with longer ones?
Is there a way to convert other formats to FPD? I have some templates in Illustrator CS3 format.
brandon daniel
Got back from NAMM show, had FoH joysticks waiting on my desk, thanks man!
plord
flight wrote:
I assume you are speaking of a Front Panel Express native format file? Nope. But the datasheet is below, it has the PCB hole pattern at least.
Hm, I could work it that way I guess but I was thinking of panel mounting for the highest density. Maybe I should get one of your "kit minus joystick" and then decide on the best construction method...
Quote:
Of course, these were not designed to be panel mounted, so they don't have those specs. Which way are you mounting them - drill holes in the corners or replace the hub screws with longer ones?
There ARE holes in the corners! I was going to tap them then find the right matching screws, or use self-tapping screws into the holes that are already there. But like I say, that may be the wrong call, so I'll wait a bit before I get all excited about panel design smile
flight
Umm, there shouldn't be any holes in the corners, that's only in the new style. Here are all the joystick templates I have made, with different views, different panel options, and the PCB layout.
brandon daniel
Just checked the ones I received, no top screw-holes, but the rectangles that make the sides of the joystick body all have holes at the four corners far enough from the throw of the js mechanism. Some U-shaped L-brackets could allow for panel-mounting.
spbaker
mine arrived in oz today! thanx Flight!
now i'm itchin for the kit!

patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue patience is a virtue aaarrgghhhh
flight
@ plord & brandon daniel:
The four corner holes in the templates are where the new style has them. I usually just drill holes there and use the self-tapping screws. I don't recommend using the little gaps in the corners! The housing will probably distort if you force some screws in there, as the side corners aren't fastened together. If a screw pushes out the side it will move the pot off-axis and will probably shorten the lifespan of the pot.

spbaker
lol, you're welcome!
I must apologize again, I can't believe how badly that snowstorm f*cked everything up over here.

Oh yeah:
Why do so many people not capitalize names? I see this a lot now & am a tad mystified...
brandon daniel
flight wrote:
@ plord & brandon daniel:
The four corner holes in the templates are where the new style has them. I usually just drill holes there and use the self-tapping screws. I don't recommend using the little gaps in the corners!

Uh, yeah, I wasn't suggesting that. If you think of the housing as a cube, and the side with the js is the top, the opposite side is the bottom, the four "walls" around the side have holes, each rectangle around the outside here has four holes (not counting the ones you're talking about above) that I think could be used... you'd use an L bracket for each of the four sides (with a cutout in the center to let the pots rotate freely.
spbaker
flight wrote:

Oh yeah:
Why do so many people not capitalize names? I see this a lot now & am a tad mystified...

capitals are SOOO 1995! lol
neandrewthal
w00t!!I got mine. Thanks so much!w00t!!
flight
@ brandon daniel: Oh, those holes. Okiedokie, have at 'em!

@ neandrewthal: Yah, you got a cram-packed box o' joy. smile
Luka
are there still more joysticks flight?

i am doing all i can to get some spare money to you but i am being hit from all sides repaying debt. will the opp still be there within a month or so. i am after about 5 or 6
flight
Yup, I've got plenty, you're good. Same price too.
Oh, I understand about repayment debt...
Luka
woohoo
i am about 2-3 weeks away then
Luka
hey does anyone know how to make a four quadrant panner?
i want to make my joystick module a lot more fun
flight
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I assume a 4Q panner is one that goes negative --> positive on both axes. Wait, if it's a panner, then that would just be left to right, back to front, correct? If so, then this might work:
Luka
yup cheers
flight
Okiedokie, the joystick module design is finally finalized (heh).
Here's the panel:

The two switches in the middle set the reference point for each axis: 0->+ or - -> +. I couldn't tolerate designing it only for positive signals, so I added these in to allow you to process audio signals without limiting the scaling & offset ranges.

The module will be available at AH in about 4-6 weeks, $115 MSRP.
Right now, I want to get an idea for how many want to get the kit THAT WERE INVOLVED IN THE ORIGINAL JOYSTICK GROUP BUY ONLY. The kit includes everything but the joystick, fully assembled and tested, $90 (+S&H of course).

I'll post more specs later, but I'm going to go to bed now.
parasitk
Love it. Don't forget us mother-frackers. I'll mug an old lady if I need to to get one! Smacked in the head with a trout
krelnarb
BONG!!!

I'm in for two kit's. Are the they going to be in both 3U formats? I'd be into one of each.

Or both of the other smile
flight
Oh yeah, both euro & frac. Frac with reversed graphics, as usual.
spbaker
i'm in for 1 kit of course SlayerBadger!

do you think this will be our only opportunity to buy kits? just asking 'cause of cash flow, i'd love 2 kits but it can only be one at the mo.
flight
Oh, no. No time limit. I just want to make sure I get enough supplies the first time around.
Soy Sos
I'd be looking to pick up 2, but to be clear, this is like a finished module
with out the joystick. Not some type of barebones kit with no faceplate?
That's more what I was hoping for.
flight
Yep, this is for "finished" module, but don't worry, barebones will be available as well. I guess I should take some soundings on that as well:

Aside from the Plague Bearer, all my modules will have the boards parallel to the panel - which means the pots and jacks will be PCB-mojunted. This does not, however, meet with the general barebones concept of flexibility. Is everybody cool with the pots, switches, and jacks being supplied loose for your own panel arrangement?
Soy Sos
That arrangement is fine with me. I'm not at full DIY level,
so the barebones concept is nice baby steps for me in the
right direction.
plord
I'm in for a couple of kits!
flight
I might as well put up the offer: If anybody is interested in having the kits happen a little faster, I'll start taking pre-orders now. I'll put up the product specs & a pic of the working prototype in a bit.
Soy Sos
Great, thanks! I should be in on 2 barebones kits
depending on price and cashflow. haha
pheops
i'm in for one 'just add joystick' kit...i'll paypal a pre-order whenever you say the word.
congrats on the release...what's next? razz
oh, and awesome prices btw, plaque bearer is the best $80 i've spent in my whole modular adventure so far!
flight
@ Soy Sos: The gods know I understand that situation!

@ pheops: w00t! PayPal to my email address below.
Release: Thanks! Upcoming (in order of release):
Plague Bearer r3 (VC gain easter egg)
Imp noise module
VCO - no name yet, my take on the oscillator idea.

Prices: Thanks again! It's rather hard, but it's worth it to me. I hope I can keep it up!
Soy Sos
Thanks bro,
I have a good feeling about your line. I'm interested on your VCO ideas.
But what I really want to see from you is the ultimate grindola, cheapo
digital delay~! In kit form!
flight
I always forget to mention this:

Anytime you place an order (anybody) with me, please include any information specific to your purchase: format, customizations, other notes.

Conversations leading up to an order tend to be spread across forums, multiple emails (and addresses sometimes), even written letters. I have pretty severe ADHD, so it's real easy for me to lose track of details - I'm also paranoid about hard drive failures. So I use the information from your PayPal payment notification to set up your customer account and to keep track of orders and special notes. Humorous comments are also appreciated. razz
flight
Pics (remember, this is just the prototype):

Specs (with ±12V supply):
No input, ground reference/±reference-

• Minimum scaling: 0 -> 0.1V / ±0.1V
  • Middle scaling: 0 -> 5V / ±5V
  • Maximum scaling: 0 -> 10V / ±10V

AC input, ground reference-

• Minimum scaling: 10%
  • Middle scaling: 100%
  • Maximum scaling: 200%

Offset: ±5V

Gate-
Off: -12V
On: +12V

Trigger-
Off: -12V
On: +12v
Duration: 1.5mS
Kwote
Nice. I’m definitely up for two kits in frac format but I can’t foresee being able to fork over the cash for quite some time. here’s hoping this is an ongoing thing.
flight
Yup, don't worry.
krelnarb
I noticed on the prototype that the stick to panel is via the 3 screws securing the sticks orbit. So we don't need to drill into corners of the sticks chassis, this is sturdy enough?

Since I nabbed 4 sticks I would also be into (2) B-Bone kits, but I'd like to get the 'add a stick' first.

Thanks again

Happy, happy, joy(stick), joy(stick)
flight
Heh, happy happy!

Correct, no drilling required, and it is quite sturdy. The screws are very close to the pivot point, so there is very minimal torque applied to them. The kit will include the slightly longer screws you will need to attach your stick-joy thingy, also the spacers required since the pivot fixing washer is actually 1mm below the face of the cage.

You're very welcome. smile
revtor
Hey Flight, any update on the joystick module PCB's? I'd love to get one out in a month as a birthday gift if possible!!!

thanks
~Steve
flight
PCBs should be here in a week or two. I'll post when they're in.
tragedybysyntax
wow. I want 2 of these f'ng stat. fuck plan b's joystick......... I never got any info back from him anyway and I hear that all but 5 are already sent to customers? retarted...... smile
I just made my euro bigger so I can stick in 2 of these bad boys!
flight
I love you guys. smile
eyesaw
Hey Flight - Put me down for (2) 'just add joystick' euro modules. Did not realize you were doing this - just noticed - very nice!

Thanks, Bill
flight
Hey Bill, good to see you here!

Thanks! You are now on the list. smile
macumbista
Been in touch with Flight privately, seems he cant get ahold of these right now, so I'm curious if anyone from either of the group buys has any they would sell. I'm looking for 8-12 of them, I can work with 10K, would take 100K if you had them too! Sorry for dual-posting this.... reply by PM. Thx! D.
neandrewthal
Since this thread is back from the dead, are the pots the regular or extra long life version? Just curious.
flight
neandrewthal wrote:
Since this thread is back from the dead, are the pots the regular or extra long life version? Just curious.

Which pots?
neandrewthal
The song huei ones we bought like 572671536 of smile
flight
Heh, oh yeah.
Nope, they're standard-life pots.
flight
Alright, we're back on with the joystick group buy. A couple of us have funds set aside and it's going to happen one way or another.

It's a little different this time around though:
The previous aborted attempt looks unfavorable to the Japanese manufacturer, so we need to have a firm amount to work with. Then they will be more inclined to work a deal with us on pricing.
So, to take part in this, I will need:
  • Your preferred price per joystick.
  • Your absolute maximum price per joystick.
  • Desired quantity.
  • How much you can commit to spending. Not including shipping, just the joysticks!
  • Contact information
    • Forum name
    • Full name
    • Shipping address
    • Contact email
    • (Non-US residents or PO Box addresses)Phone number, including country code
    • Special shipping requirements (see below)
Send the above information and nothing else to: joystickbuy@flightofharmony.com
Anything else sent here will be ignored! These group buys take a lot of time, far too much of which is spent hunting down data, connecting orders to names, and sorting through multiple messages and general clutter.

Please use this forum if you have general questions that may apply to others, PM me if needed otherwise. Please read through this thread before asking any questions! All basic technical questions about these joysticks have been answered, cutout templates are available, joystick knobs are the tapered style.

Pricing: Between $25/each and $12/each. I'm not asking for a new quote until we have a FIRM quantity - both quantity of joysticks AND quantity of money.
Inbound Shipping: (This is shippinf from Japan to me.) Unknown, I'll let you know when I know.
Outbound Shipping: (This is shipping from me to you.) US Postal First-Class Parcel Post. Also (since I forgot this in previous group buys), to cover shipping materials (box, tape, label, packing material), please add USD$2.00 + $1.00 for every five joysticks after the first five, i.e.:

• 1-5 = $2.00
  • 6-10 = $3.00
  • 11-15 = $4.00
  • 16-20 = $5.00

Cutoff date: February 28.
Payment: Funds will be collected via PayPal. Collection will begin when a new quote is received.
almacrae
This is an old discussion, but I'm interested in getting some potentiometer joysticks.

Any leads are appreciated.
flight
almacrae wrote:
This is an old discussion, but I'm interested in getting some potentiometer joysticks.

Any leads are appreciated.
I don't stock any anymore, but you could ask some of the other manufacturers if they'd part with a few, like Danjel of Intellijel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 6