MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Low level reverb's signal in Music Easel FIXED! by myself.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Low level reverb's signal in Music Easel FIXED! by myself.
ibat
Hi there.
The spring reverb's signal in my Music Box were very low. After watched several tutorials about repairing damaged spring reverbs I decided to open my Easel to find out about the situation.
I noticed that the spring reverb system wasn't in its' place - springs should be parallel to the tank's frame. Moreover I noticed that springs were accidentally glued.
After correcting position of the springs system and removing the excess glue the reverb has started working correctly! wink

ooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooo

..smile
papz
Gluing the tank connectors is such a useless and stupid idea. d'oh!
ibat
I think so too smile
I forgot to mention that on the occasion of that operation I tuned up the reverb by removig those two bumper sponges which in my opinion are an unnecessary ballast smile
construct09
I wondered why the verb on my Bemi easel was so muffled, probably the gobs of silicone all over the length of the springs meh
djs
I’m guessing the quality control person was asleep the day this one got made.
papz
The what ? lol
ibat
hihi
ibat
construct09 wrote:
I wondered why the verb on my Bemi easel was so muffled, probably the gobs of silicone all over the length of the springs meh

Or other irregularity.. I reccomend to explore it.
doepferiano
CRAZY!
doepferiano
papz wrote:
The what ? lol

lol
rolsteins
ibat wrote:
Hi there.
The spring reverb's signal in my Music Box were very low. After watched several tutorials about repairing damaged spring reverbs I decided to open my Easel to find out about the situation.
I noticed that the spring reverb system wasn't in its' place - springs should be parallel to the tank's frame. Moreover I noticed that springs were accidentally glued.
After correcting position of the springs system and removing the excess glue the reverb has started working correctly! wink

ooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooo

..smile

Thanks for advice! It turned out I have had the same problem..
Peake
The reverb tanks don't have locking connectors so the MTAs which go onto them can under the worst jarring (transportation, shipping) come completely off so I can understand the use of hot glue or Loctite to keep them in place. But perhaps not that much of it, you know?
papz
I build, service, play, carry, ship and receive 208s or other devices with spring reverb for years without glued connectors and never saw or heard about one coming off, completely or partially. They stay in place firmly and are often so difficult to unplug that I have to use a small flat screwdriver to disconnect them without forcing or damaging the thin wire.
djs
You'd think that if they had a problem (given the hot glue gun 'fix') that they'd say "ok, let's just upgrade to a locking header". I wouldn't think it was a cost thing? Unless there was some other problem that required hot glue to fix it?
papz
No idea, I'm not in their head and I'm happy with that. Mr. Green
Peake
papz wrote:
I build, service, play, carry, ship and receive 208s or other devices with spring reverb for years without glued connectors and never saw or heard about one coming off, completely or partially. They stay in place firmly and are often so difficult to unplug that I have to use a small flat screwdriver to disconnect them without forcing or damaging the thin wire.

If you ship it without foam securing the reverb assembly it can shake around quite a bit and yes, the connector coming off is worst-case scenario but as it doesn't lock at all it's potentially prone to disconnection. Obviously I'm not saying use enough glue to run all over the place. Over time screws can come loose, etc. One less thing to worry about is good.

I've worked with synths for decades as well. Things that can go wrong, sometimes will. I've had loose connection inside a fuse once. The universe has a way to create little surprises such as that, you know.
ibat
Peake wrote:

Things that can go wrong, sometimes will. I've had loose connection inside a fuse once. The universe has a way to create little surprises such as that, you know.

This is natural perversity of inanimate objects Alien
papz
The natural perversity of animate humans may be in cause too. lol
djs
I'm going to go one further and posit a supernatural cause. The music easel is possessed by demons that are entrapped by hot glue.

Do not meddle with things you do not understand. That which is not reverberating can eternal lie. And with strange easels, even oscillations may die.
mestlick
Ha. With strange Easels, even infinitely sustained envelopes die.
Peake
papz wrote:
The natural perversity of animate humans may be in cause too. lol

All mechanical devices are subject to degradation over time. I prefer to diminish some possible issues as I'm thinking in terms of decades of use when possible. If the world hasn't yet proved to you what can go wrong, will, well, good luck with learning that.

Sometimes entropy has help. I'm going to continue to glue things; you do what you want.

papz
Please get down off your high horse. My joke refers to the initial post pics, not to you.
Buchla U.S.A.
Hey, everybody!

The purpose of the glue isn't to hold the connectors in place, but rather to keep the component below the connectors in place, as it is susceptible to vibration that causes its connecting wire to break.

The foam isn't present on all Easels, but was an attempt to mitigate against the tank vibration that caused the connection to break. The tank, being mounted on springs to reduce interfering vibration of the actual reverb springs, moves around quite violently with even mild movement. The foam was an initial attempt to diminish that vibration.

Buchla U.S.A. Quality Control currently investigates reverbs that don't "sound right."
papz
Buchla U.S.A. wrote:
to keep the component below the connectors in place, as it is susceptible to vibration

Do you mean the springs ? lol
ibat
Buchla U.S.A. wrote:
Hey, everybody!

The purpose of the glue isn't to hold the connectors in place, but rather to keep the component below the connectors in place, as it is susceptible to vibration that causes its connecting wire to break.

The foam isn't present on all Easels, but was an attempt to mitigate against the tank vibration that caused the connection to break. The tank, being mounted on springs to reduce interfering vibration of the actual reverb springs, moves around quite violently with even mild movement. The foam was an initial attempt to diminish that vibration.

Buchla U.S.A. Quality Control currently investigates reverbs that don't "sound right."

Thank you very much for explication.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2