MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Have I made a mistake ordering from GMSN?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Have I made a mistake ordering from GMSN?
chaotician
So I ordered a board for this Look Mum No Computer Safety Valve. I did this from a google link, however I then went to the homepage, having paid only to find that it had "GMSN! is no longer Open." in small writing under the header.

Can anyone reassure me? I don't want to have spunked a tenner up the wall.
sduck
You might want to go over to https://www.allthesynths.info and ask there - it's run by the GMSN guy. Although it might not help, it's a pretty dead board currently.
Revok
This is a really bizarre way to close up shop.

[/img]
degeneratedsines
if you read the post in his forum he says the shop will still be open untill January next year. https://forum.gmsn.co.uk/t/gmsn-is-no-longer-open/1196/27
chaotician
phew, thanks for the reassurance peeps
Jarno
Not sure why, but it seems they are rolling up shop. IIRC, I saw some GMSN things for sale at Pusherman, but that's all gone, as is all the build info.
Shame, because the quantiser looked interesting.

Gotta say, it is interesting that this is exactly the situation that open source was going to prevent.
Nick Barnard
Files are still up on cadlab, get them while you can I guess?!

https://cadlab.io/project/847/master/files
Jarno
Good find, no firmware for the quantiser though.

Also, I wonder how much stock resellers still have, but modular addict just posted a link to build docs which is now 404, as was the situation when the CGS site went.

I certainly do not want to come across as entitled, and it is a totally different discussion, but, I do think there's a sort of bare minimum set of requirements to selling DIY projects, either commercially or as a hobby, and a lot of projects just ain't cuttin' it.
Jaytee
Jarno wrote:
Good find, no firmware for the quantiser though.

Also, I wonder how much stock resellers still have, but modular addict just posted a link to build docs which is now 404, as was the situation when the CGS site went.

I certainly do not want to come across as entitled, and it is a totally different discussion, but, I do think there's a sort of bare minimum set of requirements to selling DIY projects, either commercially or as a hobby, and a lot of projects just ain't cuttin' it.


Can you clarify what you mean? Are you talking about design decisions or reliable hosting or something else entirely?
Jarno
Oh, no not design decisions. Reliable hosting, since there might be people that still have pcb's, i know some of my projects sometimes are shelved for a while, mostly because of wiring, and I do take care to download and archive everything i can find, but still.
joem
Jarno wrote:
Oh, no not design decisions. Reliable hosting, since there might be people that still have pcb's, i know some of my projects sometimes are shelved for a while, mostly because of wiring, and I do take care to download and archive everything i can find, but still.


I think if you're not soldering something when you get it, the responsibility is on you to make sure you've saved all the documentation you'll need by the time you get around to building it. Don't rely on someone else to hang on to the info you need for you.

Now, if the info is gone while somewhere is still selling the boards, that's a different question, and I'd agree that in that case, it's the seller's responsibility to provide the info (though only as long as the they're selling the boards).

In both cases, anything more is a nice plus, but definitely not a requirement.
Nick Barnard
joem wrote:

I think if you're not soldering something when you get it, the responsibility is on you to make sure you've saved all the documentation you'll need by the time you get around to building it.


Not something I've practiced in the past but this is a bit of a wake up call!
CoreInside
rob (gmsn owner) has a new job that he couldnt refuse
he's offering gmsn ownership rights along with his stock for £25,000
he said he's making £3000 a month atm

hope it stays open source
Jarno
3kGBP a month? I guess I need to recalibrate my thoughts on the DIY synth market.
sempervirent
Jarno wrote:
Not sure why, but it seems they are rolling up shop. IIRC, I saw some GMSN things for sale at Pusherman, but that's all gone, as is all the build info.

Rob had a bit of an argument on Facebook with the guy who runs Pusherman and asked for his stuff to be removed from the Pusherman site.
Jarno
Wow, yeah, fully agree with Rob in that discussion.
batchas
IMHO it is a pita to simply delete the forum like GMSN did.
Mostly with all the questions opened lately which were not answered or simply showing that code or circuit did not work.

And the forum is of course not archived.
sduck
See the second post in this thread. Reach him there.And yes, agree, he shouldn't have deleted it, or ran away from here either.
flts
FWIW, to contribute nothing useful in particular - I don't think the responsibility of providing customers "zero effort" level of documentation ends when one stops selling the product. It's a possibility one as a DIYer should be aware of and be prepared for, but not an excuse for bad service in the cases there are no serious obstacles for stopping to provide the documentation.

Based on the "if you need support, reply to the order confirmation mail" it sounds like his brush with The Pusherman Spirit Of Open Source might have had something to do with it, eg. he simply doesn't _want_ to offer the documentation openly anymore.
CoreInside
What happened with pusherman?
sduck
There's a link to that about 6 posts up.
Jaytee
sduck wrote:
There's a link to that about 6 posts up.


If there was some kind of argument in that link, it has since been deleted (or I’m missing it...but there aren’t that many comments to sift through).
sempervirent
Yeah, looks like the comments in question were deleted.
sduck
That's weird, they're gone. There are about 25 comments in that thread, but at the top it says there are 66 replies, so either they've been hidden or deleted.
wtk
sduck wrote:
That's weird, they're gone. There are about 25 comments in that thread, but at the top it says there are 66 replies, so either they've been hidden or deleted.


yes it seems deleted.. rob argued there about the monsoon pcb/panels being sold exclusively at pushermans until end of 2018, as it is based on open source clouds, so it should be publicly released straight away.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group