Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases

Post by chamomileshark » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:41 am

This is curious.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#detail ... /017988629

I've e-mailed Robin.

Update: Arturia releases Synthi V

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview
Last edited by chamomileshark on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 am

Doesn't prior art stop them doing that?
Or do trademarks go free if out of use, like lapsed web domains?
person, woman, man, camera, TV

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am

They are still making Synthi's those lovely EMS guys
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am

Arturia has probably licensed the Synthi from EMS and will be making a software Synthi instrument.

Also, if you look at the application, it is for a "figurative" mark meaning that it is the shape of the typeface that they are looking to protect, not the word itself. Did Arturia file an application for a trademark over the word "synthi" as well?

synthichap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthichap » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Intersting.

Of course, considering that they have digital matrix patching down already, they might attempt a hardware version.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

mritenburg wrote:Arturia has probably licensed the Synthi from EMS and will be making a software Synthi instrument.

Also, if you look at the application, it is for a "figurative" mark meaning that it is the shape of the typeface that they are looking to protect, not the word itself. Did Arturia file an application for a trademark over the word "synthi" as well?
It looks like the same typeface as that on my Synthi.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Good thing i just upgraded my V-Collection :)

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:29 pm

ArguZ wrote:Good thing i just upgraded my V-Collection :)
As I am never in a rush to upgrade I can catch the cheaper (but later) upgrades. The new version would normally be announced by this time of year.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:32 pm

chamomileshark wrote:
mritenburg wrote:Arturia has probably licensed the Synthi from EMS and will be making a software Synthi instrument.

Just what typeface is used by EMS?

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:14 am

jfloftin wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Eurostile Extended probably.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 am

Triglav wrote:
jfloftin wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:

Eurostile Extended probably.
I know that. The better choice is Microgamma font.

What I want to know is what did or does EMS use for the graphics on the machines themselves? Silverface or Morning Mist...

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am

For the Synthi A/AKS, texts are Akzidenz Grotesk and knobs scale numbers are Futura.
I don't know for the VCS3.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:14 am

Arturia committed this behind Robin Wood's back without informing him and without prior discussion.

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:54 am

Oeps,Behringer is running to late lol

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm

I thought and hoped this terrible info would cause more reactions. :despair:

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

synthi

Post by elmerfudd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Dunnoh, desensitized to these things, maybe? Its a rip and burn world, artists loose their rights of intellectual property, and all of us loose ownership of our own data on a daily basis. Robin should TM and register his fonts in the US, he can then get a judgement and make customs confiscate all the offending product as counterfeit. Worked for Louis Vuitton.....Don't even know if there will be trademark reciprocity after Britain leaves the EU so might just be an opening salvo.

Labulle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Labulle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:04 pm

I am shocked by this more than questionable behavior on the part of a brand like Arturia. Some companies would probably benefit from being more fair to those they take credit from in order to succeed.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 am

Labulle wrote:I am shocked by this more than questionable behavior on the part of a brand like Arturia. Some companies would probably benefit from being more fair to those they take credit from in order to succeed.
The good news is we get to pick and choose which greedy corporations we purchase from.

This and their handling of the Microfreak credit has made up my mind.

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:22 am

MindMachine wrote: This and their handling of the Microfreak credit has made up my mind.
yup, that's it for me.

that showed Arturia in a particular light - and this is just another move in the bad direction.

this is worth than what Behringer is doing. there is a difference between cloning 30 year old machines made by a big corporation VS synths still in production, made by a brand like EMS.

i see there is a way to do opposition to this trademark request.... and there is zero opposition. Maybe this is where EMS should act ?

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#detail ... /017988629

thetaflux
Common Wiggler

Post by thetaflux » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 am

Synesthesia wrote:
MindMachine wrote: This and their handling of the Microfreak credit has made up my mind.
this is worth than what Behringer is doing. there is a difference between cloning 30 year old machines made by a big corporation VS synths still in production, made by a brand like EMS.
Is it though? The system 100 series is still in production, by Malekko Heavy Industry, licensed from Roland. The same thing with the Odyssey, ARP, and Korg.

I see no difference between them. All three are despicable.

ix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ix » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Labulle wrote:I am shocked by this more than questionable behavior on the part of a brand like Arturia. Some companies would probably benefit from being more fair to those they take credit from in order to succeed.
The good news is we get to pick and choose which greedy corporations we purchase from.

This and their handling of the Microfreak credit has made up my mind.
bad news is it would appear that looking on most forums 98% of gear heads have zero ethics now toward rip off manufacturers and would sell their soul for anything if it was cheap and had 2 x osc and will support the Parasites

I think we live in a very dark age of selfish users personally , parasites and schemers and dominant businesses who really only care about their business profit margin and people seem to love them.,

Behringers just a cult really of cheap consumers with a massive ego maniac running things it would seem , its a bit creepy in all honesty how pathetically
cult follower like people became without question for one minute the ethics.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I am just waiting for the UL-thi

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks for confirming ix's post relevance.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 pm

ix wrote: bad news is it would appear that looking on most forums 98% of gear heads have zero ethics now toward rip off manufacturers and would sell their soul for anything if it was cheap and had 2 x osc and will support the Parasites

I think we live in a very dark age of selfish users personally , parasites and schemers and dominant businesses who really only care about their business profit margin and people seem to love them.,

Behringers just a cult really of cheap consumers with a massive ego maniac running things it would seem , its a bit creepy in all honesty how pathetically
cult follower like people became without question for one minute the ethics.

Capitalism much? While I agree I also hope that no one who cries about this also shops at Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.... EMS will continue to make small batches of synths at their current price point to the few that can afford it. If we want these mindsets to change then I hope we are all ready to take on the daily injustices of the companies that really have an effect on these ways of thinking. Stop creating the mindset for the cheapest price possible and maybe this will not happen so often.

It's very easy to criticize situations in the limited scope of the synth world while propagating the same very thing in daily life out of "convenience"
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Registering a trademark by Arturia is more towards others softsynth sellers.

Talking of Ethics....who invented the 'EMS' brand and the 'Synhi' names?

Robin Wood?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”