MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases
chamomileshark
This is curious.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/017988629

I've e-mailed Robin.

Update: Arturia releases Synthi V

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/synthi-v/overview
cretaceousear
Doesn't prior art stop them doing that?
Or do trademarks go free if out of use, like lapsed web domains?
leeski
They are still making Synthi's those lovely EMS guys
mritenburg
Arturia has probably licensed the Synthi from EMS and will be making a software Synthi instrument.

Also, if you look at the application, it is for a "figurative" mark meaning that it is the shape of the typeface that they are looking to protect, not the word itself. Did Arturia file an application for a trademark over the word "synthi" as well?
synthichap
Intersting.

Of course, considering that they have digital matrix patching down already, they might attempt a hardware version.
chamomileshark
mritenburg wrote:
Arturia has probably licensed the Synthi from EMS and will be making a software Synthi instrument.

Also, if you look at the application, it is for a "figurative" mark meaning that it is the shape of the typeface that they are looking to protect, not the word itself. Did Arturia file an application for a trademark over the word "synthi" as well?

It looks like the same typeface as that on my Synthi.
ArguZ
Good thing i just upgraded my V-Collection smile
ashleym
ArguZ wrote:
Good thing i just upgraded my V-Collection smile

As I am never in a rush to upgrade I can catch the cheaper (but later) upgrades. The new version would normally be announced by this time of year.
jfloftin
chamomileshark wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Just what typeface is used by EMS?
Triglav
jfloftin wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Eurostile Extended probably.
jfloftin
Triglav wrote:
jfloftin wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Eurostile Extended probably.

I know that. The better choice is Microgamma font.

What I want to know is what did or does EMS use for the graphics on the machines themselves? Silverface or Morning Mist...
papz
For the Synthi A/AKS, texts are Akzidenz Grotesk and knobs scale numbers are Futura.
I don't know for the VCS3.
papz
Arturia committed this behind Robin Wood's back without informing him and without prior discussion.
tobb
Oeps,Behringer is running to late lol
papz
I thought and hoped this terrible info would cause more reactions. seriously, i just don't get it
elmerfudd
Dunnoh, desensitized to these things, maybe? Its a rip and burn world, artists loose their rights of intellectual property, and all of us loose ownership of our own data on a daily basis. Robin should TM and register his fonts in the US, he can then get a judgement and make customs confiscate all the offending product as counterfeit. Worked for Louis Vuitton.....Don't even know if there will be trademark reciprocity after Britain leaves the EU so might just be an opening salvo.
Labulle
I am shocked by this more than questionable behavior on the part of a brand like Arturia. Some companies would probably benefit from being more fair to those they take credit from in order to succeed.
MindMachine
Labulle wrote:
I am shocked by this more than questionable behavior on the part of a brand like Arturia. Some companies would probably benefit from being more fair to those they take credit from in order to succeed.

The good news is we get to pick and choose which greedy corporations we purchase from.

This and their handling of the Microfreak credit has made up my mind.
Synesthesia
MindMachine wrote:

yup, that's it for me.

that showed Arturia in a particular light - and this is just another move in the bad direction.

this is worth than what Behringer is doing. there is a difference between cloning 30 year old machines made by a big corporation VS synths still in production, made by a brand like EMS.

i see there is a way to do opposition to this trademark request.... and there is zero opposition. Maybe this is where EMS should act ?

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/017988629
thetaflux
Synesthesia wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

this is worth than what Behringer is doing. there is a difference between cloning 30 year old machines made by a big corporation VS synths still in production, made by a brand like EMS.

Is it though? The system 100 series is still in production, by Malekko Heavy Industry, licensed from Roland. The same thing with the Odyssey, ARP, and Korg.

I see no difference between them. All three are despicable.
ix
MindMachine wrote:
Labulle wrote:

The good news is we get to pick and choose which greedy corporations we purchase from.

bad news is it would appear that looking on most forums 98% of gear heads have zero ethics now toward rip off manufacturers and would sell their soul for anything if it was cheap and had 2 x osc and will support the Parasites

I think we live in a very dark age of selfish users personally , parasites and schemers and dominant businesses who really only care about their business profit margin and people seem to love them.,

Behringers just a cult really of cheap consumers with a massive ego maniac running things it would seem , its a bit creepy in all honesty how pathetically
cult follower like people became without question for one minute the ethics.
ArguZ
I am just waiting for the UL-thi
papz
Thanks for confirming ix's post relevance.
Hi5
ix wrote:

bad news is it would appear that looking on most forums 98% of gear heads have zero ethics now toward rip off manufacturers and would sell their soul for anything if it was cheap and had 2 x osc and will support the Parasites

I think we live in a very dark age of selfish users personally , parasites and schemers and dominant businesses who really only care about their business profit margin and people seem to love them.,

Behringers just a cult really of cheap consumers with a massive ego maniac running things it would seem , its a bit creepy in all honesty how pathetically
cult follower like people became without question for one minute the ethics.

Capitalism much? While I agree I also hope that no one who cries about this also shops at Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.... EMS will continue to make small batches of synths at their current price point to the few that can afford it. If we want these mindsets to change then I hope we are all ready to take on the daily injustices of the companies that really have an effect on these ways of thinking. Stop creating the mindset for the cheapest price possible and maybe this will not happen so often.

It's very easy to criticize situations in the limited scope of the synth world while propagating the same very thing in daily life out of "convenience"
tobb
Registering a trademark by Arturia is more towards others softsynth sellers.

Talking of Ethics....who invented the 'EMS' brand and the 'Synhi' names?

Robin Wood?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3