MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Elektron Analog Heat MKII Users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Any Elektron Analog Heat MKII Users?
Chevron87
This cool looking little box of dirty joy sounds like a very interesting processor for guys like me who like to mangle stuff, especially when using the Overbridge plug in to control it and for audio I/O
djx
I only have the mk I but I love what it does. However if you especially want overbridge you should probably wait until it is actually released. I've been waiting for approx 18 months now. In the meantime controlling the heat via cv and midi works nicely.
CF3
djx wrote:
I only have the mk I but I love what it does. However if you especially want overbridge you should probably wait until it is actually released. I've been waiting for approx 18 months now. In the meantime controlling the heat via cv and midi works nicely.

Yeah, I wouldn’t buy the Analog Heat for Overbridge. It’s actually my favorite Elektron device ever. I think it sounds awesome. Love all the different distortion types. BUT, Elektron has really been struggling with Overbridge and computer apps in general. I have little faith at this point. I would definitely recommend an Analog Heat (MKI or MKII), just don’t get your hopes up for the USB/computer side of it.... its excellent (and stable) all by itself.

Hopefully they prove me wrong with the new Overbridge release.
Chevron87
Okay thanks for the heads up, i assumed Overbridge was out and working well.

One thing that appeals to me , in addition to the cool processing stuff, is that you can use Heat as an interface or ovwr USB as a hardware insert. Is Overbridge needed for this, or is it not needed.
mor4sso
I have MK1 and love it.
justin3am
I also really enjoy my AHmk1. Never tried using it as an audio interface though.
wildfrontiers
Have used it as an audio interface. Basically just acts like a soundcard. Worked pretty well, I recorded a whole album using it because I was in a pinch and didn't have anything else.

Overbridge was needed if you wanted to use the effect, that seemed to work OK. But just for a USB sound device, no Overbridge was needed.
Chevron87
I was thinking of using the Heat's audio capabilities over USB so I can use it as a hardware insert when mixing in my DAW. Going to read up on it, but I wonder if it's capable to do that without Overbridge.

Of course, Overbridge looks ideal if it functions as advertised.
Jean Luc Cougar
Chevron87 wrote:
I was thinking of using the Heat's audio capabilities over USB so I can use it as a hardware insert when mixing in my DAW. Going to read up on it, but I wonder if it's capable to do that without Overbridge.

You can do this w/o USB, just look at how you use any external effects with your DAW (I use Ableton, in this case it's pretty easy).

I am using a Heat MK1, and I still have the old Overbridge installed which works (although it adds horrendous latency). I basically use the VST to get the sound I want, and then bounce again to audio immediately.

At the price I paid (maybe $500 used) I am very satisfied, from my research, the other options are 3-4x more expensive. While Culture Vulture, etc might be worth 3-4x more, I can't see myself ever being able to afford a $2k+ box for saturation.

I highly caution anyone about buying it for Overbridge, Elektron has really blown it with their software development resulting in somewhat, or mostly unhappy customers for maybe 4 years. In short - only buy this box for what it can do now, as the software release has been a public disaster - they are years late, have an awkward payment structure, and their previous iterations were buggy (for some users).

I like Elektron's products, but their business practices put me off enough that I will never buy their products new, and I don't believe any of what they say until it's implemented.
anselmi
the only thing that I miss from my MK1 is MIDI triggered envelopes...audio trigger is OK for some stuff, but it would be great to have MIDI note trigger as well
Chevron87
Jean Luc Cougar wrote:
Chevron87 wrote:

You can do this w/o USB, just look at how you use any external effects with your DAW (I use Ableton, in this case it's pretty easy).

I am using a Heat MK1, and I still have the old Overbridge installed which works (although it adds horrendous latency). I basically use the VST to get the sound I want, and then bounce again to audio immediately.

At the price I paid (maybe $500 used) I am very satisfied, from my research, the other options are 3-4x more expensive. While Culture Vulture, etc might be worth 3-4x more, I can't see myself ever being able to afford a $2k+ box for saturation.

I highly caution anyone about buying it for Overbridge, Elektron has really blown it with their software development resulting in somewhat, or mostly unhappy customers for maybe 4 years. In short - only buy this box for what it can do now, as the software release has been a public disaster - they are years late, have an awkward payment structure, and their previous iterations were buggy (for some users).

I like Elektron's products, but their business practices put me off enough that I will never buy their products new, and I don't believe any of what they say until it's implemented.

I was more interested in using the USB Audio I/O as a neater and clutter-less solution rather than having more analog cables on my desktop. With or without Overbridge.

I actually have an 11th Anniversary 'mastering' Culture Vulture which I use often on a hardware insert. Which as you can imagine is awesome, but it really only has two types of overdrive (the peak functions I find unusable) and those are quite similar. I like the idea of the different drive types you get in Heat, with the addition of a filter and modulations sources.

I also have the Elektron Analag Drive which is a seriously cool mono guitar pedal, I love that box.
nectarios
Mk1 here.

When I opened OB it crashed with a *massive* noise that would have blown my speakers if they where not turned down.

I think its ok, it adds noise even in the clean boost setting which I had to get used to, no idea if they have fixed this in the MK2. Sent an audio clip to Elektron and they said its normal behavior so that rules out my unit being a lemon.
Needless to say that the other circuits add even more noise, so you'll need a gate (plug in) to insert on the channels you record through the Heat.

95% of the times I use the first two settings. The rest are just "meh"
For high gain distortion my cheap guitar pedals, eat the Heat for breakfast.

My screen is burnt around the edges too, so I did not pay for quality. My least favorite Elektron box I own, but I use in the live sets mainly for the DJ style filtering and for quick control of how much I am pushing the Finalizer which is the last box in my master buss insert chain.

If I could turn back time I would not have spent the 700€ for it.
Tumulishroomaroom
I have the MK1, got it used for 500€; so not too bad. It's permanently on the master here, I use 99% one of the three first modes which can already add a decent amount of saturation if pushed to the max. I never use any of the more fancy features such as LFO or enveloppe follower or even the filter.
I also use it as a sound card quite often, works fine, nothing fancy. Overbridge works ok and it's nice to have visual feedback and not plenty of cables around. Apparently you can record dry and wet at the same time ? I've never really looked into this.

Even for such a basic use I've always liked it. It sounds good, even at transparent settings it adds a little something. Nice little mojo box. I don't think there are many other stereo distortion boxes like that.
mor4sso
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
or even the filter.

the filter is soooooo goooood. very surgical and precise. I wish elektron used it on all of its gear.

i use mine on my master as well with the filter pretty much permanently set to high pass. toggle it on and off when needed (build ups, breakdowns, etc..)
Jean Luc Cougar
Interesting that you like the filter.

I find the resonance absolutely unusable above like 15-20ish. The entire rest of the range is unpleasant.

IMO this is my gripe with Elektron engine design, they give you so much range and flexibility the sweetspot is less obvious and a lot of parameter have a lot of their range where stuff just doesn’t sound good.
mor4sso
i'd agree probably 60% of the filter resonance is REALLY hot, but I rather have it be too much than not enough, you can always dial it back.

It's just so sharp around the cutoff, i really like that about it, especially in high pass
CF3
Jean Luc Cougar wrote:

I find the resonance absolutely unusable above like 15-20ish. The entire rest of the range is unpleasant.

IMO this is my gripe with Elektron engine design, they give you so much range and flexibility the sweetspot is less obvious and a lot of parameter have a lot of their range where stuff just doesn’t sound good.

If I have one beef with the Analog Heat it’s this. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine with filters in general.... unusable range of the resonance knob. Why the hell would anybody make a filter where the res self oscillates 1/2 way thru the travel? I literally never turn the res on the Analog Heat past about a 1/4 of the way. I generally like the character of the filter though. Just wish they’d dial the resonance back.... way back.
Tumulishroomaroom
Yeah, for me the AH filter is too dangerous to use of the master because of this, the resonance is wayyyy too much. I hate when filters turn instantly to sine. I have a WMD Overseer in my case which I use mostly in HiPass as a DJ filter, it's much, much better. Can be quite experimental too when heavily modulated.
Chevron87
I also don't get it when a filters resonance kicks in to self-oscillation too early, especially on a device that is not going to be used primarily for oscillators..

How do you guys find the envelope follower?
nectarios
CF3 wrote:
Jean Luc Cougar wrote:

If I have one beef with the Analog Heat it’s this. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine with filters in general.... unusable range of the resonance knob. Why the hell would anybody make a filter where the res self oscillates 1/2 way thru the travel? I literally never turn the res on the Analog Heat past about a 1/4 of the way. I generally like the character of the filter though. Just wish they’d dial the resonance back.... way back.

Same here, but I don't really use the filter much anyway as its nothing to write home about, well basically I mostly use it in live sets for high pass filtering of the mix without any resonance.
It would have been nice if the resonance was not from 0 to "watch your speakers" at a quarter of the knob's travel as it would have been much easier to dial in the amount of resonance that you want. Probably just bad design that they couldn't be asked to implement properly? Who knows.
justin3am
I was constantly running material through the filters on my Analog Four, so the filter section is a big part of why I got the Analog Heat. I think the filter sounds great. I find that the harder you drive it, the further you have to turn the resonance knob before oscillation kicks in (as is the case with most filters), it's just that the filters on the AH have a ton of headroom.

I love using a stepped LFO on the FreqPan parameter and using the envelope follower on the main cutoff.

I love that the envelope follower can be used on various gain stages, so that the AH can act as a compressor. Recently, I've been using it on the Dirt parameter (setting the Dirt parameter high, then using the envelope follower with negative depth, to reduce it's value).

I also find myself using the shelf filters a lot more than I though I would. I just wish you could change their position in the signal chain.
stickman
justin3am wrote:
I was constantly running material through the filters on my Analog Four, so the filter section is a big part of why I got the Analog Heat. I think the filter sounds great. I find that the harder you drive it, the further you have to turn the resonance knob before oscillation kicks in (as is the case with most filters), it's just that the filters on the AH have a ton of headroom.

I love using a stepped LFO on the FreqPan parameter and using the envelope follower on the main cutoff.

I love that the envelope follower can be used on various gain stages, so that the AH can act as a compressor. Recently, I've been using it on the Dirt parameter (setting the Dirt parameter high, then using the envelope follower with negative depth, to reduce it's value).

I also find myself using the shelf filters a lot more than I though I would. I just wish you could change their position in the signal chain.

How do you rate the filters vs. a4 svf?
starf
nectarios wrote:
Mk1 here.

When I opened OB it crashed with a *massive* noise that would have blown my speakers if they where not turned down.

Had something similar happen twice on stage, didn't dare using it as soundcard ever since. It basically did a small pop and then continued with very weird like bit-reduced noise. Had to not only restart the unit but also Ableton with Overbridge (perhaps even reboot my laptop, not sure now).
Too bad, would be nice to carry one less piece of equipment around.
Nutritional Zero
I did a modest EP with Analog Heat when I first got it a bit over a year ago. The tracks sat on my HD until a few weeks ago when I felt like mastering them.

During the sessions for the EP, I totally overdid the Analog Heat distortion on everything, I retracked everything through it, sometimes one at a time, sometimes in groups. It was new and I wanted to experiment.

Listening back now I really enjoy it! The distortion is over the top but who cares.

I MAY buy a second one at some point, perhaps if I spot a used MKII. There are too many things it sounds good permanently attached to.
Jean Luc Cougar
stickman wrote:

How do you rate the filters vs. a4 svf?

Before I got the Heat I was running a lot of stuff through the A4 external
Ins. TBH - if you want to do filtering more than saturation, and are on a budget I think the A4 might even be a better solution.

Pros of A4:
More filter options
Reverb
Chorus
Delay
Sequencable envelopes
2 distortion flavors

Cons:
Less distortion choices
Stereo configuration is a bit more annoying
Gain staging is less obvious
Less flexibility with dry / wet mix