Sampling off YouTube

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Chevron87
Common Wiggler

Post by Chevron87 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:47 am

I think it is always best to ask permission to use a sample. ESPECIALLY if it is a musical sample that is a core part within an arrangement.

I've sampled a lot of dialog from youtube for mix tapes and free releases. I always contact the creator, but very rarely hear back BUT importantly at least you can prove you tried to gain permission.

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Clipgrab. Free, updated regularly to deal with changes to YT etc. formats and access methods, allows you to choose which version (resolution/quality) you want to download (doesn't re-encode, thankfully), and can download just the audio if that's what you want.
https://clipgrab.org

fishphacurr
Common Wiggler

Post by fishphacurr » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:54 pm

leeski wrote:Maybe something like this

[video][/video]
Daaaaaaang I totally forgot about that video... I still have that on VHS hahah.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:43 am

alexander92 wrote:Don'nt you why you guys are still ripping with these old programs.
here's the answer:
To install it right away for all UNIX users (Linux, macOS, etc.), type:

sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
no thanks

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 am

All that’s doing is downloading the file as the root user and making it readable and executable by all users.

Moskowitz
Common Wiggler

Post by Moskowitz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:11 pm

I don't know the particulars but I would assume that the quality of audio on youtube is not so great so grabbing it as is and then converting it the format you need is fine. I just search 'download youtube' and use one of the converters that comes up then make .wav files of them as needed.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:11 am

Hainbach wrote:My videos get sampled all the time. I am fine with it as long as there is attribution and if it gets big or used commercially I get notified and cut in. Here is one of my most favorite examples:

[video][/video]

Would you have recognised the sample if he hadn't got in touch with you?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

WisdomWriter
Common Wiggler

Post by WisdomWriter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:26 pm

to me there is a pretty obvious line here. if someone completely rips off someone else then thats not ok. but using a blip of sound as a filler or a word said a certain way, i dont see anything wrong with that. personally i find it time consuming to go through the process. if i did it more often and learned how to more efficiently then maybe i would feel different.

Return to “Production Techniques”