MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sampling off YouTube
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Sampling off YouTube
Chevron87
I think it is always best to ask permission to use a sample. ESPECIALLY if it is a musical sample that is a core part within an arrangement.

I've sampled a lot of dialog from youtube for mix tapes and free releases. I always contact the creator, but very rarely hear back BUT importantly at least you can prove you tried to gain permission.
bhinton
Clipgrab. Free, updated regularly to deal with changes to YT etc. formats and access methods, allows you to choose which version (resolution/quality) you want to download (doesn't re-encode, thankfully), and can download just the audio if that's what you want.
https://clipgrab.org
fishphacurr
leeski wrote:
Maybe something like this

Daaaaaaang I totally forgot about that video... I still have that on VHS hahah.
Panason
alexander92 wrote:
Don'nt you why you guys are still ripping with these old programs.

here's the answer:

Quote:
To install it right away for all UNIX users (Linux, macOS, etc.), type:

sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

no thanks
mgscheue
All that’s doing is downloading the file as the root user and making it readable and executable by all users.
Moskowitz
I don't know the particulars but I would assume that the quality of audio on youtube is not so great so grabbing it as is and then converting it the format you need is fine. I just search 'download youtube' and use one of the converters that comes up then make .wav files of them as needed.
Multi Grooves
Hainbach wrote:
My videos get sampled all the time. I am fine with it as long as there is attribution and if it gets big or used commercially I get notified and cut in. Here is one of my most favorite examples:

Would you have recognised the sample if he hadn't got in touch with you?
WisdomWriter
to me there is a pretty obvious line here. if someone completely rips off someone else then thats not ok. but using a blip of sound as a filler or a word said a certain way, i dont see anything wrong with that. personally i find it time consuming to go through the process. if i did it more often and learned how to more efficiently then maybe i would feel different.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2