MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sampling off YouTube
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Sampling off YouTube
DT
Yo!

Do you sample off YouTube?
If so, how?

I am actually lucky cause I have both a laptop and a MacMini where I run Logic and I am actually thinking about recording videos thru the soundcard, instead of "downloading" the audio

Also, it legal?
Not sampling official videos / songs whatever, I mean random videos, etc
lisa
Legal for personal use or for sharing? In which country do you reside?
DT
for own productions

I live in Italy
DT
I mean, if I sample few secs of a girl singing in her bedroom or someone playing video games is it illegal?
or someone demonstrating a synth?

ofc I don't mean to sample published songs / content
suboptimal
I'm curious about the technical side of this as well.

From a legal standpoint, something posted on Youtube is probably deemed to be "published" regardless of the professionalism of the creator. But if by "published" you mean work from a professional outfit like Disney or whatever then you're right to avoid it.

The legality of sampling depends on how your local laws treat the videos as well as how the creator treats the material. Some creators allow others to use their material and say so in their video descriptions. Something like a "creative commons license" might allow you to use things for your own personal use or to create new videos with clips from the licensed video, but not to create commercial tracks.

I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of people shouldn't worry about taking snippets of material from things like random users' Youtube videos, even if there is a technical argument to be made that it's a violation of copyright law. The chances of any real consequences are extremely remote. The calculation changes if you plan to sell your recordings, or otherwise get famous enough to where your exposure will be more likely to be found by people who have their lawyers on speed dial. The vast majority of the creative public doesn't operate like this.
leeski
Maybe something like this

DT
suboptimal wrote:
I'm curious about the technical side of this as well.

From a legal standpoint, something posted on Youtube is probably deemed to be "published" regardless of the professionalism of the creator. But if by "published" you mean work from a professional outfit like Disney or whatever then you're right to avoid it.

The legality of sampling depends on how your local laws treat the videos as well as how the creator treats the material. Some creators allow others to use their material and say so in their video descriptions. Something like a "creative commons license" might allow you to use things for your own personal use or to create new videos with clips from the licensed video, but not to create commercial tracks.

I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of people shouldn't worry about taking snippets of material from things like random users' Youtube videos, even if there is a technical argument to be made that it's a violation of copyright law. The chances of any real consequences are extremely remote. The calculation changes if you plan to sell your recordings, or otherwise get famous enough to where your exposure will be more likely to be found by people who have their lawyers on speed dial. The vast majority of the creative public doesn't operate like this.

I release music commercially, yes.
But my records don't sell more than 1.000 physical copies currently, with max peaks of 50.000 Spotify plays which are fairly low numbers / exposure in the market.

But you never know, I mean, maybe a track gets popular and I might get caught.
I really don't know, why should someone demonstrating some Prophet 5 presets would ever complain about me ripping off a chord?
Also would they recognize sounds after they are heavily mangled and processed? I find it pretty impossible.

Clearing samples gotta be a pain in the ass but I don't want to avoid sampling also, which I find pretty inspiring and fun lately!
catchin
YouTube has a great page on this

and this is an interesting read on how Drake sampled from a YouTube video
sleepgardens
On a mac you can use Soudflower or Loopback to directly record Youtube audio into your DAW, or Audio Hijack to just record it on a file.

On windows you can use Synchronous Audio Router to do just the same.

Have fun.
shreddoggie
Why do a bunch of so-called musicians care if it is 'legal' to sample obscure sounds for their even more obscure productions that no one ever hears? At least you could believe in some sort of punk rock anarchist free art aesthetic instead of worrying about rights as if you have any. Any corporation that owns the rights to anything would grind your little sincere art into the ground if they felt threatened or stood to make a buck but you just bend over and find the Vaseline... #SAD - read up on sample trolling.

The most famous sample troll are Bridgeport music. They create nothing, they simply own the rights to recordings and litigate on their (the recordings) behalf. It is not about protecting the development costs of creative people, it is a predatory and stifling parasite living on the life blood of all creative people and by extension: everyone. If anyone is interested in how insane this is, take a look into the case of the buried 2 second sample in NWA’s 100 miles and Runnin’

The most meaningful thing to ponder is this: whose side are you on exactly? Sampling is alive and well, it is totally legal and practiced regularly, but by whom? Answer: those with the money to pay the fees. Meanwhile the exploited are in a passionate and self righteous fight to defend the rights of those who exploit them. You can sample as long as you’re Kanye - thanks to big corporations with big money shell games. To make matters worse, this kind of sampling is often the ‘cover version style’ (loop the hook verbatim) that is clearly not art such as one might find in The Orb or Public Enemy. Who would support this to the detriment of the health of art in the hands of true innovators? Yay for corporations owning everything and stifling art, all for the benefit of people who create nothing.

I sample any and everything indiscriminately and will continue to do so. More yellow vests - less kowtowing to sociopaths who make no secret of their hatred for you. Anyone afraid of having a huge hit and losing a lot of their huge profits because of an unauthorized sample needs their head examined.
thetwlo
https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/
xclark
The Range Journeys to the end of Youtube
To make his new album as the Range, James Hinton scoured YouTube’s deepest corners to find webcam randos to sample in his tracks.
Hainbach
My videos get sampled all the time. I am fine with it as long as there is attribution and if it gets big or used commercially I get notified and cut in. Here is one of my most favorite examples:

DT
shreddoggie wrote:
At least you could believe in some sort of punk rock anarchist free art aesthetic instead of worrying about rights as if you have any.

agree on this

don't agree on worrying if you plan to release your stuff on a commercial level
I don't think I'll ever sell 1.000.000 downloads or streams but you never know
Panason
Rogue Amoeba Loopback
suboptimal
In case I've been misunderstood, my point was not to suggest that people shouldn't sample, but that people can benefit from understanding the risk they are taking. I agree that the risk is tiny, but acting like it doesn't exist because it's a bunch of corporatist bullshit isn't allowing for a frank assessment by people who might take the risk more seriously, for whatever reason they may have.
catchin
hihi

I sample stuff from YouTube often. No one buys my crap anyway so the license owners aren't getting paid anyhow.
CF3
My soundcard goes into my console (via the patchbay), then I can record the pre-fade direct out of that signal (or post fade, or the signal recorded thru FX on a buss, etc...). No Soundflower or other trickery needed.
3pand
I also use soundflower and it works perfectly, maybe just be careful about downloading it from the right source? Also, depending on your interface, you might not need soundflower, I had a focusrite for a while that had a loopback feature that basically did the same thing. Have fun!
CF3
Another way to get the audio off of Youtube (and pretty much any web source) is something like KeepVid Pro.
You just copy/paste the web address and rip just the audio. Works really good. I use it all the time for various things.
samplebias2
I can confirm or deny NOTHING, but the bassline in this song sounds suspiciously similar to the raw, naked Sequential Pro-1 bass patch in the intro to 80's hit "I Wonder If I Take You Home" by Lisa Lisa:

https://youtu.be/FzXgU6gu_IU[/url]
drox
related viewing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5B-zfAIIo
Klangzaun
On a Mac I use audacity to sample from YouTube and on Windows I use waverec (very old program).

What is legal and what is not is written in the videos. You can check the license. But it is always more safe (and more polite) to ask the person, who uploaded the video, if you can use some parts of it.
matthewjuran
Some videos are set to Creative Commons Attribution, so if you follow that license (attribute it in the way the licensor wants or something like that) then you can do what you want with those videos. I posted some of my works with that.
alexander92
Don'nt you why you guys are still ripping with these old programs. https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl checck this out, you can actually rip real good quality of youtube nowadays. Mostly in a codec called Opus, it gave real results quality wise.

But yeah kinda cheap in a sense if you're sampling your favourite artits. So when I actually sample I'll make sure I do it in mp3, if rarely,,,, . I read an interview though about a famous producer who on purpose uploaded his tracks on youtube and sampled himself again just to get that youtube compression. Mr. Green
Chevron87
I think it is always best to ask permission to use a sample. ESPECIALLY if it is a musical sample that is a core part within an arrangement.

I've sampled a lot of dialog from youtube for mix tapes and free releases. I always contact the creator, but very rarely hear back BUT importantly at least you can prove you tried to gain permission.
bhinton
Clipgrab. Free, updated regularly to deal with changes to YT etc. formats and access methods, allows you to choose which version (resolution/quality) you want to download (doesn't re-encode, thankfully), and can download just the audio if that's what you want.
https://clipgrab.org
fishphacurr
leeski wrote:
Maybe something like this

Daaaaaaang I totally forgot about that video... I still have that on VHS hahah.
Panason
alexander92 wrote:
Don'nt you why you guys are still ripping with these old programs.

here's the answer:

Quote:
To install it right away for all UNIX users (Linux, macOS, etc.), type:

sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

no thanks
mgscheue
All that’s doing is downloading the file as the root user and making it readable and executable by all users.
Moskowitz
I don't know the particulars but I would assume that the quality of audio on youtube is not so great so grabbing it as is and then converting it the format you need is fine. I just search 'download youtube' and use one of the converters that comes up then make .wav files of them as needed.
Multi Grooves
Hainbach wrote:
My videos get sampled all the time. I am fine with it as long as there is attribution and if it gets big or used commercially I get notified and cut in. Here is one of my most favorite examples:

Would you have recognised the sample if he hadn't got in touch with you?
WisdomWriter
to me there is a pretty obvious line here. if someone completely rips off someone else then thats not ok. but using a blip of sound as a filler or a word said a certain way, i dont see anything wrong with that. personally i find it time consuming to go through the process. if i did it more often and learned how to more efficiently then maybe i would feel different.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 2