MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pigments
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Pigments
j_dowe
[update Jan 4: changed subject to just "Pigments," to discuss the merits of the software in general, and not just the "sound quality"]

Looking for opinions on the sound quality of Pigments (new Arturia software synth). It looks really nicely designed, but I'm curious how good the analog modeling is... from the initial demo, it still seems pretty digital/in-the-box sounding, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

To date, the most convincing analog synth emulation seems to be Softube's Modular (in my limited experience and opinion).
orangehexagon
Arturia makes really great software. I have their V Collection and in a mix I don't think anyone could spot the real thing vs. the software.

I would expect only the same quality from Pigment, but to me, the appeal of Pigment is not emulating synths from the past, but exploring new sounds. Seems like the wavetables and modulation are powerful. I have yet to give it a try, but I'll circle back when I do.

I personally wasn't a fan of Softube Module. There was something about it that I can't put my finger on.

For a hardware alternative, the Novation Peak does an amazing job emulating vintage analog with the diverge and slop parameters. I've made a number of very convincing Prophet 5 sounds.
Tunatoboggan
At the same (non-discounted price point), can't see a reason to pick this over Zebra
Slic
You can try the full working software free for a month so try it and see what your ears tell you.

I bought it for 69 USD (upgrade from v6) and for me it is synth of the year. People are almost universally saying it has one of the best GUIs for programming and feedback, sound is more subjective, but this is a full 6 osc VA and or Wavetable with 8 VA Arturia filters like the SEM.

It has a lot of more east coast modulation (random probability, Turin etc) and a powerful polyrhythmic sequencer. Play the sequence presets and you will find some very modular like sequences.

Looking at the layout of the synth it seems likely that they will be adding to the VA and Wavetable oscillator types, Arturia have a lot of instruments to pluck these things from....I expect FM, Granular etc as they all exist already in in V6.
grillo
Slic wrote:
People are almost universally saying it has one of the best GUIs for programming and feedback, sound is more subjective, but this is a full 6 osc VA and or Wavetable with 8 VA Arturia filters like the SEM.

This sounds really appealing to me. I honestly could never get into some of the arturia emulations because their guis are such a drag to work with, like the minimoog is fine, but the jupiter or the cs80 remade with almost the same front panel proportions of the hardware feel super fiddly.

If they can somehow package some or all of their emulation algos in a clean interface with a modern way of assigning modulation and all the extras like effects and sequencers then it's a winner.

The raw sounds from the demos sound fine to me.
mt3

orbita
The sound examples and a lot of the presets are very modern and edgy and put me off initially. I've downloaded the demo - which is actually a full featured version including saving until 10 Jan and out of the many soft synths I've had was the first that really found inviting for sound design (although that may in part be that my modular journey has taught me so much).

I was curious how analog it could sound and spend some time comparing the raw saw tooth bass sounds with my Behinger Model D. The raw waveform is pretty good - at least as good as the better virtual analog out there. I've not yet found a Virtual Analog that has quite that same low end roundness or top end fizz as real analog. Pulsar Modular is probably the best I've heard in software in that respect.
That said, I found the adjustable shaped envelopes really useful to help sculpt the sound which is often missing elsewhere and the visual modulation sources great for keeping things interesting. And there are plenty of filters to choose from including the SEM filter which I often use on other synths/samples. The combinator is a neat addition to the modulation. There is no dedicated FM on the OSC but you can apply via modulation.
At $69 upgrade from V6 I will definitely get it. I can imagine it becoming my go to software synth for designing my own sounds given the interface, sound and features.
Panason
j_dowe wrote:
from the initial demo, it still seems pretty digital/in-the-box sounding, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

the subjectivity of hearing is a thing... and so is the internet echo chamber.... why would you want to be persuaded? seriously, i just don't get it

You can't really judge a synth's sound until you've put it in a mix... auditioning synths solo is often deceptive and misleading.
j_dowe
Panason wrote:
why would you want to be persuaded? seriously, i just don't get it

I didn't say I wanted to be persuaded. I said "I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise"...

I was trying to express that while I've made some judgment, my mind is still open. With so many tools, I find it useful to get other perspectives, as my cursory look/listen may not be sufficient to fully grasp all the pros/cons of a piece of gear or software.
computer controlled
I bought it yesterday at the $69 upgrade price, no brainer! So far, it sounds wonderful. The modulation options are second to none, and the Wavetables sound really good. One thing i've found that it excels at is hard, edgy basses especially good for EBM sequences. The Arp and Sequencer is a nice addition and are easy to use. And all the effects! This will def be one of my most used synths for a long time.
starthief
I feel like it should be something I would love immensely, just for having linear and exponential FM, phase modulation, and then both phase distortion and wavefolding with audio rate modulation possible, and all the flexible routing and nice GUI. And wavetable-based; I used to love Serum before I went E352 and then E370.

But I feel like the sound isn't always there. This is the first time in 15+ years of using VST plugins that I want to call a synth "cold and sterile." Don't get me wrong, it's got some sweet spots that really sparkle or growl and sound great. But it makes me wonder why basic FM doesn't sound as alive as it does in Aalto, Buchla Easel V, Cadmium, my Eurorack gear etc.

There are also a few restrictions that are very VST-like and break the potential for more West Coast or modular-like use. The output VCA has an envelope permanently routed to it, and the only thing that can gate that envelope is MIDI -- even though there's a place in the GUI specifically to allow reassigning the gate, and it's enabled in the other envelopes. very frustrating The Turing Machine and Binary random modules are forced to use a clock, instead of an arbitrary trigger like the S&H. Stuff like that.

I'll probably pick it up, even though I'm really not using a lot of softsynths anymore, and it'll either be one of those synths that gets used once every 10 songs or so, or else 6 months will pass and I'll realize I've never really used it.
alexander92
I tried the demo, but the GUI just puts me off, all those vibrant colors. Also found it quite cluttered, couldn't find my way around with tons of modulation options. Shortly after I listened to the presets I uninstalled it.

I do like Arturia as a company, they make very good synths and VSTs. I have been getting into the DX7 emulation of theirs, which sounds fantastic.
zeit
Downloaded the demo and was impressed. I do not have any wavetable synths so that portion of the synth I love. I love the way this synth sounds. I'm not sure about "cold or sterile sounding", I"m not hearing that but I do love those types of sounds, fwiw....The UI is very clean and accessible. Also, it was a lot lighter on PC resources than other synths I've tried over the last month, that's a big plus for me. I will be adding this synth to my modest collection, no doubt.
j_dowe
I'm liking the arp. It has 1-16 steps for Octave, Velocity, Trig Prob, Gate Length, and Slide. Plus randomization %s for each (that can regenerate every X bars), and polyrhythm possibilities (by having different # of steps on parameters, and resyncable).

I imagine there must be other similarly well-designed arps, but from what I've used this excels in flexibility and ease of use.

applause
grillo
i took advantage of the basically full free demo and played with pigments over the holidays, but i'm still on the fence.

I like the interface, and there's a lot of scope for doing weird patching with loads of modulation, but i found I can't get patches to sound as good as I can with Serum.

I think Pigments has been somewhat inspired by Serum, but they also expanded on it and arturia has the definitely the edge when it comes to features.
Funky40
i bought it, i might quasi never use it.....who knows.
what i liked is the GUI,
though, with these given possibilitys it seemed to me that it lacks an envelope or two.

but hey, they need some stuff in the backhand for the V collection 7 or so.......
Rex Coil 7
Funky40 wrote:
i bought it, i might quasi never use it.....who knows.
what i liked is the GUI,
though, with these given possibilitys it seemed to me that it lacks an envelope or two.

but hey, they need some stuff in the backhand for the V collection 7 or so.......
"I might quasi never use it" ...... well that's got to be the most non-committal thing I've ever heard someone say! HAAHAA .. lol

... "might quasi" .... yea, that there is some "I ain't committing to nuthin!" shit goin' on!

lol lol lol lol lol (good on ya, mate!) thumbs up thumbs up

Ok, on to business here ...

Is it ok with Ableton, or is Pigments something best left to run stand alone or within the Arturia paradigm? Is it resource needy?

I can't test it because my computer's status is presently a cardboard box full of brand new computer parts that need to be assembled into an operating DAW. I'll be running Win10/Ableton Live 9.7.7 Suite.

seriously, i just don't get it
orangehexagon
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Is it ok with Ableton, or is Pigments something best left to run stand alone or within the Arturia paradigm? Is it resource needy?

It is quite needy. Ableton's wavetable and other VST's in the Arturia range are much less resource needy than pigments. it sounds great though!

seriously anyone that says it sounds sterile are just weird and/or don't know how to program a synth.

The GUI is vastly superior to those in other Arturia VST's
Rex Coil 7
My only use for these wavetable type things is for the cliche ~wub wub~ and vocalesque screaming squelch stuff.

However I've recently learned that those types of VSTs are not required if one owns Ableton and a decent audio interface that is equipped with more than two inputs and two outputs. Audio feedback tricks, and sample mangling are highly effective tools towards the same ends that wavetable VSTs can provide.

That said, I'd rather invest my time/energy into making Ableton and external processors work for me. Otherwise, I'm just going to sound like every other swingin dick that has Pigments (or Serum, or Massive, or .... or ... or ..).

seriously, i just don't get it

I think I'll choose another path ....

Dono-Kun Dance I will eat your brain. Dalek

lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1