MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ok, Reaktor vs. VCV vs. Softube Modular vs. Voltage Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ok, Reaktor vs. VCV vs. Softube Modular vs. Voltage Modular
The Space Disco
Ok...

Virtual Modular is the new black right!?

Cast your vote... in an short essay.

Hehe
droningspaghettimonster
just love reaktor, but I'd love to have virtual mutable CV on my PC too. can vcv rack send CV out through es3?
needto
droningsphagettimonster wrote:
just love reaktor, but I'd love to have virtual mutable CV on my PC too. can vcv rack send CV out through es3?

Not sure about the es3 but it definitely works win es8, there are some videos on youtube.

I'm all for VCV:
Free
Open source and extensible - many good ideas found in euro already implemented, there's an M-185 sequencer, various cartesian ones, the whole Mutable lineup and many many more.
VST plugin support
There is no midi out yet, unfortunately, but its probably coming.
Also, free.

I haven't used the others really though, wondering what other people think.
fac
Puredata with Automatonism would be my current favorite (plus it's free!)

Have yet to try VCV, but it looks pretty cool.

Also like Audiomulch and VAZ, but haven't used them in years.

I use soft-modulars mostly for teaching but also when traveling.
j_dowe
i vote for (not in order of preference, but in order of how much time I've spent w/ each):

• VCV for a huge array of free modules, and great community
• Softube for good analog emulation of real modules
• Reaktor for under the hood access

all have their issues as well. I haven't tried the Voltage Modular... didn't really see or hear much in the demos that caught my attention ... although I'd love to hear from any who have taken the plunge.

Dead Banana
mritenburg
I vote for Reaktor.

I'm not trying to take anything away from VCV or Softube because they are good tools, but Reaktor really isn't in the same class as VCV or Softube. Sure, all 3 can emulate modular synths, but emulating modular synths is just one of the many, many, many, many possible ways to use Reaktor. Reaktor is open-ended and extremely flexible. I mean, c'mon, people have built video games using Reaktor. Drum machines, samplers, monosynths, polysynths, modular synths, emulations of Arp, Moog, Buchla, EMS, Oberheim, Roland, Sequential, etc, etc, effects of all kinds, granular processors of all kinds, real-time audio stream processing, stutter editors, glitch editors, on and on and on an on.

The trick is to wait for a sale and score a full license of Reaktor for 1/2 price. it's well worth the $99 when it is 1/2 price. IMHO, it's worth the full price of $199, but I know everyone loves to save a little cash.
fac
mritenburg wrote:
I vote for Reaktor.

The trick is to wait for a sale and score a full license of Reaktor for 1/2 price. it's well worth the $99 when it is 1/2 price. IMHO, it's worth the full price of $199, but I know everyone loves to save a little cash.

I have considered buying it several times (probably once a year, when it's on sale), as I have considered Max/MSP. But I really don't see myself dedicating enough time to it to become competent enough with it. Basically a matter of too many synths, too little time. I started using Pd, Mulch and VAZ (plus the Nord Modulars and analog modulars) back when I didn't have any kids and had much more time and drive to learn new stuff. These days I rarely use any of them. I think about it all day, but then at night I'm just too tired.
Dilibob
Here's my take:

Vcv is best when I am integrating with my real eurorack and 5u

Reaktor is great when I am in the native instruments world (primarily I am a big kontkt user). Also when I have to code, but I am finding I haven't done any of that lately.

Softube is nice when I just want to quickly run something through in the daw, but not getting very tricky.

Overall I am shifting over to vcvrack more and more, especially as it is getting more robust.
mritenburg
Dilibob wrote:
Reaktor is great when I am in the native instruments world (primarily I am a big kontkt user). Also when I have to code.

Everything in Reaktor is drag-n-drop and connected with cables. There is no coding. Even if you wanted to dive all the way down into core modules to create, say, Chebyshev polynomials to emulate Bucha 200e waveshaping alogorithms, you still do it by connecting functional blocks of math functions with cables.

Reaktor works like any other VST instrument. It has a stand alone mode and it can be used in a DAW.

People should try out the free Reaktor player. It loads pre-built instruments. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor -6-player/
vromr
Sound quality shootout: Reaktor, Softube Modular, or VCV rack?
From casual listening, I rank VCV last. There’s a plasticness to all of these that make me crave real hardware more, but it’s worst with VCV.
rparmar
There's no beating Reaktor for versatility. Nor for sound. Since version 5 it has really been sweet.

Plus, the price keeps crashing. It's only 200 Euro for the whole thing, including thousands of instruments. Twice a year this gets cut in half.

But if you haven't tried VCV you really should.
The Space Disco
Well I LOVE the sound quality from both Reaktor and VCV. Mutable Instruments stuff is my favourite in VCV. But yes I love Reaktor too. Its hard to decide between the two. In Reaktor I miss sequencers like "Note Seq", "Marbles" and the "Turing Machine" and junk. In VCV I miss some of the very dope ass sounding oscillators.

What I love about VCV is that it is trying to emulate the real hardware with the feeling and work flow

and what I love about Reaktor is that it DOSENT try to emulate real hardware and with that feeling and work flow - example back page patching and stuff

Its like Bitwig VS Ableton I guess... if you have the time and energy invest time in both and alternate a little.

I started with reaktor and claimed its better than VCV then I claimed the opposite now Im just humbled to have both.

Something like that.
Dilibob
mritenburg wrote:
Dilibob wrote:
Reaktor is great when I am in the native instruments world (primarily I am a big kontkt user). Also when I have to code.

Everything in Reaktor is drag-n-drop and connected with cables. There is no coding. Even if you wanted to dive all the way down into core modules to create, say, Chebyshev polynomials to emulate Bucha 200e waveshaping alogorithms, you still do it by connecting functional blocks of math functions with cables.

Reaktor works like any other VST instrument. It has a stand alone mode and it can be used in a DAW.

People should try out the free Reaktor player. It loads pre-built instruments. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor -6-player/
When I meant programming I meant the reaktor blocks, which I view as node based programming. On the price for reaktor, that is a hot button for me, I had recently bought ultimate for close to 1k, then they do an micro upgrade with the only thing I want is some changes to blocks ... and the price of the upgrade is 400. Of course I could just buy a second full license of reaktor, for 200 ... but what total bs. To me hardware modules are always nicer than soft, aside from the price ... and when I started adding all my software cost up per year (most just to keep current on versions), it was over 3k(after 20 years of that what do I got, a box of old disks that won't run on any computer I have). There isn't the slightest chance I am going to spend a second (node) coding in reaktor, though I am thinking about doing some granular modules for vcv. There's also some other granular open source packages I like, but I have gotten multi core vcv working well and integrated with my physical racks so vcv is starting to have some workflow inertia.
j_dowe
Dilibob wrote:
On the price for reaktor, that is a hot button for me, I had recently bought ultimate for close to 1k, then they do an micro upgrade with the only thing I want is some changes to blocks ... and the price of the upgrade is 400. Of course I could just buy a second full license of reaktor, for 200 ... but what total bs.

when you say "micro upgrade" do you mean from v5 to v6?

also, isn't the upgrade for reaktor 99?
mt3
mritenburg wrote:
I vote for Reaktor.

I'm not trying to take anything away from VCV or Softube because they are good tools, but Reaktor really isn't in the same class as VCV or Softube. Sure, all 3 can emulate modular synths, but emulating modular synths is just one of the many, many, many, many possible ways to use Reaktor. Reaktor is open-ended and extremely flexible. I mean, c'mon, people have built video games using Reaktor. Drum machines, samplers, monosynths, polysynths, modular synths, emulations of Arp, Moog, Buchla, EMS, Oberheim, Roland, Sequential, etc, etc, effects of all kinds, granular processors of all kinds, real-time audio stream processing, stutter editors, glitch editors, on and on and on an on.

Everything here I agree with.
Dilibob
j_dowe wrote:
Dilibob wrote:
On the price for reaktor, that is a hot button for me, I had recently bought ultimate for close to 1k, then they do an micro upgrade with the only thing I want is some changes to blocks ... and the price of the upgrade is 400. Of course I could just buy a second full license of reaktor, for 200 ... but what total bs.

when you say "micro upgrade" do you mean from v5 to v6?

also, isn't the upgrade for reaktor 99?
For those that have recently purchased ultimate in 2018 (which includes reaktor) the upgrade price was 399. Native instruments does not allow splitting of licenses, so I would have to buy a second copy of reaktor for version 6. I am stuck on native instruments because my large sound libraries are in kontakt, which was why I have the ultimate license (which btw isn't even the top license anymore). All goes to say why I am switching to open source even if it is a bit painful.
hermbot
mt3 wrote:
mritenburg wrote:
I vote for Reaktor.

Everything here I agree with.

Yup - I've tried most of those and always come back to Reaktor.
j_dowe
Dilibob wrote:
For those that have recently purchased ultimate in 2018 (which includes reaktor) the upgrade price was 399. Native instruments does not allow splitting of licenses, so I would have to buy a second copy of reaktor for version 6.

I guess I'm confused. Did they change their policy? I have Komplete 10 Ultimate and then got a Reaktor 6 Update. I don't think I ever bought Reaktor alone... (I don't have a serial # for it, just the Update). Of course, I did that around three years ago...
CrysWiz
Reaktor. Super flexible. I wouldn’t consider it a modular synth, more like a modular enviroment. As a long time modular user (and builer)my introduction to Reaktor was a moment of joy.
VCV is quite awesome asa modular soft synth.
mritenburg
Dilibob wrote:
For those that have recently purchased ultimate in 2018 (which includes reaktor) the upgrade price was 399. Native instruments does not allow splitting of licenses, so I would have to buy a second copy of reaktor for version 6.

NI has been shipping Reaktor 6 since 2015. If you bought Komplete 12 Ultimate in 2018, it includes a copy of Reaktor 6. Why would you have to buy another license?
Unifono0815
The Space Disco wrote:
In Reaktor I miss sequencers like "Note Seq", "Marbles" and the "Turing Machine" and junk.

There are several Turing machines for Reaktor Blocks in the user library
hermbot
Unifono0815 wrote:
The Space Disco wrote:
In Reaktor I miss sequencers like "Note Seq", "Marbles" and the "Turing Machine" and junk.

Yes, just the Euro Reakt library alone will keep someone busy for a looong time.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/9093/

It does have a Turing machine as well as many, many other random CV modules.
Orwell
vromr wrote:
Sound quality shootout: Reaktor, Softube Modular, or VCV rack?
From casual listening, I rank VCV last. There’s a plasticness to all of these that make me crave real hardware more, but it’s worst with VCV.

i get what you mean but the VCV rack is quality when it comes to mutable. The mutable instruments are prefect sounding clones, if not better than the hardware. Softtubes mi clouds was horrible when i demoed it yesterday.
The Space Disco
hermbot wrote:
Unifono0815 wrote:
The Space Disco wrote:

Yes, just the Euro Reakt library alone will keep someone busy for a looong time.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/9093/

It does have a Turing machine as well as many, many other random CV modules.

Yeah I know - I should get into them... I just find Marbles and note seq being so easy to setup... well with vst host i think i can combine them two right?

testing VCVs "Branes" and making sequence out of sample and hold... guess i have a long way to go... haha, anyway, first patch w. Branes:

Branes video patch...
DanielW
I've just downloaded VCV the other day, and while it eats most of my CPU (2015 Macbook pro 3,1 i7, 16 GB RAM) it's really nice just to be able to make patches with all those free modules.

I really hope they will be able to develop it some more though, and I don't just mean stability and CPU issues. It would be nice to be able to manage modules a bit easier. Marking favorites for easier access for one. Or just listing frequently used above the rest.

Reaktor is great, but in a completely different way IMO. As for Softube – I can easily see it become rather expensive to make it really interesting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2