MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Samsung 1TB M.2 SSD part number difference ($$$)!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Samsung 1TB M.2 SSD part number difference ($$$)!
Rex Coil 7
(I'll also be putting this info in my project computer thread ... it seems important and should be part of the project)

I was gathering up some more new parts for my project computer. I looked closely at a very small difference in part numbers and discovered something pretty cool. When searching for "Samsung 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD" 1 terabyte solid state drives in M.2 format, two slightly different part numbers come up:

*** Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V6E1T0BW)

*** Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW)

One has a "V6" and the other has a "V7" in their number strings.

It took me about an hour to figure out if there is actually a functional difference between the two, or if it was due to so many people on eBay using information from existing ads to create their own ads (which is done very frequently). Nope ... it's the real deal. They are two different SSDs.

The "V6" specs out at ... 3,200MB/s Seq. Read ... 1,900MB/s Seq. Write

And retails for $450.00

LINK = https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives  /ssd-960-evo-m-2-1tb-mz-v6e1t0bw/

The "V7" specs out at ... 3,400MB/s Seq. Read ... 2,500MB/s Seq. Write

And retails for $259.99

LINK = https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives  /ssd-970-evo-nvme-m-2-1tb-mz-v7e1t0bw/

The thing is, on eBay the two are sold interchangeably for the same prices. So if you're not observant you'll end up buying an "V6" for the same price that you could have had an "V7" for. And ~no~ I didn't get the retail prices mixed up, the slower V6 actually retails for MORE than the faster V7 on Samsung's web page (for some reason) ... look at the prices in the links I provided.

Fortunately the 250gb Samsung that I already bought a few days ago turns out to be the speedier V7. I bought that before I learned about the differences in the part numbers, so I got a bit lucky.

The two also look different ... TOP picture is the 1TB V6, BOTTOM picture is the 1TB V7.

Rex Coil 7
Ha!! I'm the only dumass that hadn't figured this out before.

108 views, not one reply ... I can imagine 108 pairs of rolling eyeballs ... "geezis this idiot only just now getting it?"

lol

(unsubbed)
adam
i thought 960 and 970 were two different models, can be fairly normal for new versions of things to be cheaper
dubnspace
just bought a new Dell XPS to replace my old desktop and this whole SSD thing is new to me. Anyway, my Dell comes with a 500gb NVMe M.2 drive as it's main drive with OS and programs. I was going to just put in my current SATA drive for my audio drive, but am now considering putting in a 2nd SSD to handle audio files, etc.. The Dell only has 1 SSD port, will i get as good as perfomance using a PCIe adapter to put in a 2nd? Is SSD even a good idea to write/read audio files from a DAW?
listentoaheartbeat
NVMe/PCIe SSDs are overkill for audio in most applications. You will only notice a difference when copying huge amounts of data, but not when recording.

SATA HDDs are still fine except for extremely high track counts at high sample rates. SATA SSDs offer a nice sweet spot if you want data management to be a little snappier but don't want to pay premium for NVMe. Reliability is also not really an issue anymore, especially with MLC memory.

However, controller chips on SSDs can be flaky. If the controller goes bad, you can forget about your data or spend lots of money on a recovery job (memory is desoldered and soldered onto a blank controller PCB).

For this reason, I would choose brand and model carefully. Samsung uses their own controllers that have a great reputation. I've only had good experiences with them, too, while a Corsair MX500 SSD recently died on me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1