MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Storing Unused Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Storing Unused Modules
workingklass0
Hi all!

I was wondering: How do you all store the modules that you are not currently using? The reason I ask is because I have got some modules that are not part of my current rack (space is an issue right now) and are just sitting around collecting dust on my desk.

What I was thinking was buying a cheap tackle box (or something similar) and placing the unused modules in that.

Any suggestions?
Joe.
I kept a few in a (wooden) bottom drawer for a while. No chance of being knocked over or kicked accidentally, and it's dust free.

I'd avoid plastic and metal boxes.

Keeping the boxes/tubes they're sent in is a great idea btw, you can use them to store modules at a later date, or for packaging if you're going to sell them.

unrecordings
Being a 5U DIY type, I've a supply of conveniently sized boxes - Hoover out the cat hair, wrap modules in a layer of clean bubblewrap, then gently stack in box and lightly seal to avoid feline ingress

If you're regularly swapping out modules, then a note of what's in the box might be helpful
Shledge
I generally sell any modules I am not using. It would drive me nuts to have a pile of unused modules in a box.
cptnal
I still have all the original packaging on a shelf in a cupboard (closet), so if I swap something out it goes back on the shelf. I have a few that I swap in and out more often, according to mood, and they live on a shelf above the synth.
xenosapien
@Joe.

Any reasoning to why you´d avoid plastic boxes?

I´ve been storing my unused modules (those that fit that size of box, obviously) in empty "Ferrero ROCHER" boxes...

Those are clear plastic, meaning I can stack several of them in the back of my shelf and still see exactly what I´m grabbing when I need to.

unrecordings
xenosapien wrote:
@Joe.

Any reasoning to why you´d avoid plastic boxes?

Probably to avoid static, but that never bothers me, most of my modules aren't sensitive digital circuits
Joe.
Plenty of (hairy) people like me generate static during the day; tearing off fleecy sweatshirts, scooting across the carpet in fluffy woollen socks, locomoting about in corduroy pants.

It's like this diagram:
FUUUCCKKKK!!!
Except the cable is your fingertip.
lisa
Shledge wrote:
I generally sell any modules I am not using. It would drive me nuts to have a pile of unused modules in a box.

Same for me. Also, I don’t enjoy rearranging my rack so boxed modules would probably stay boxed. waah
darcmorcel
Can't afford collecting unused gear, problem solved lol
forestcaver
You could use a nice large wooden box - easy to diy. That’s what I do whenever I have modules that dont fit in my existing case. I find it convenient to run some metal strips across it, which stops the modules moving around. :-)
Cybananna
I always keep the pink anti static bubble wrap when I get it to either wrap spare modules or to use shipping modules. You also can wrap a module in aluminum foil to protect from static. Not just digital modules are at risk. Analog one have ICs that can get messed up too I believe. I have a card board box (shoe box would do) that I put them in after wrapping them.
Dcramer
You can always store em at my place spinning
anomie
Shledge wrote:

^^^^this^^^^

I store my unused ones on ebay! My studio's far too small to keep anything I'm not regularly using, and I have 2 MOTM modules there right now, the last from my current cleanout.

If you've got room and funds to keep surplus modules, it's worthwhile investing in antistatic bags to keep 'em in - I always have a few lying around for anything that's going to be out of use for a while.
monads
I keep them in original boxes. But it's only a very few I have unused at a time so it doesn't take much space.
sparks
I store my unused modules and a unused case at a friends house so he can have fun with them since I'm not.
Pelsea
The only modules I have retired are homemade. Those get parted out for reuse.
Parnelli
Thus far I have always built a bigger case to fit them, but I'm reaching my size limits, so I'll have to think about it. I think I'm at a point that if I want something new then something old has to go, but I've a little time to think about it yet.
pre55ure
Obviously you store them in your unused cases. (hides)

Dead Banana
Parnelli
Except I cannibalized my other cases to make the big one, rails, power supplies, etc..... but I do have a 3U 104 MN case tucked away now that I think of it!
sduck
I guess it all depends on how anal/ocd you are. Me, I tend to just put them wherever - I have a closet devoted to weird leftover crap like empty equipment boxes and whatever, and one of the shelves is full of unused modules, both euro and 5U, both in and out of boxes. I also have a pile of euro modules on top of the 5U cabinet.
CrysWiz
Wrapped in anti-static bag and in wooden wine box or fruit boxes. With small strips of cardboard to separate them.
ranix
Moon Modular ships modules in nice boxes, I put my unused modules in those boxes and stick em in the closet
JohnLRice
ranix wrote:
Moon Modular ships modules in nice boxes, I put my unused modules in those boxes and stick em in the closet
Pretty much what I do as well for my unused 5U, with yellow sticky notes on them so I know what's in the box. All my eurorack overflow in in a large unused case in a closet.
J3RK
Have you thought about getting a portable case? Then you can have them all racked in that case, and occasionally use them with your main system. When you're not using them, close up the case, and put it under the desk or something like that. That way, they're safe, but easily used if you feel like it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2