MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Corsynth DR-02 Snare Drum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Corsynth DR-02 Snare Drum
Thalassa
UPDATED 05/03/19:

The DR-02 Snare Drum is now available w00t w00t

You can find all the info , price , audio demos etc here :

https://corsynth.com/home/modules/dr02

Original post

Today while I was testing the DR-02 prototype I've recorded a few samples and I've uploaded a few of them to soundcloud. All was "played live" ( finger drumming ) so don't expect perfect tempo oops All the bass drums are the DR-01, the rest is the DR-02 without modulation just the front panel controls. This is just an small portion of what the module is capable of but you can get the idea smile

The module is almost ready, only minor tweaks left. What do you think ?

[s]https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/dr02test[/s]

UPDATED :

Another audio example , one DR-02 with modulation:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/dr02mod[/s]

Front Panel :

ualslosar
Pablo,
Impressive snare sounds out of your new module. I like it. Good work.

Larry
fac
I like it. Reminds me a lot of the Nord Modular drum modules, in terms of the range of sounds one can achieve (I'm listening through laptop speakers, though). I used to do some crazy drum stuff with my G2.
Thalassa
Thank you guys for the feedback smile The good thing about these modules is that you are not tied to the typical 808 , 909 sounds. You have almost all important parameters on the front panel so you can create plenty of different sounds smile
anomie
Really like this - I'm hearing everything from 909 to 606 snares (my faves) pls a lot beyond that too!
TimeRaveler
Sounds great! Now that we're getting some drums in MU, what do you guys think is the best drum-friendly sequencer available? I feel like a SimpleSeq per drum would be pretty cool for triggers and 'param-locking' something per step.
Thalassa
I use a beatstep pro , is not MU but it works great for triggering the modules. It has 8 drum channels an 2 sequencers so you can use the sequencers for modulation purposes.
alternating.bit
My initial reaction to just the photo was is 2U width really needed just for a snare? But after hearing the range of sound coming out of it I bit my tongue.
Nice sounds!
josaka
to my ears(only heard this demo).. comparing it with some of the Drum machines I have.. ..it could have a snappier attack.. for new school tech type stuff.. the attack transient is slightly long..

the timbres you can get with your module are great.. but personally the attack and possibly the envelope shape would put me off a bit..

having both the tanzbar and the DRM 1 mkIII the envelopes on the Tanzbar make it much more the go to.. the DRM sonic scope is incredible but how they work as drum units the tanzbar just has that magic feel..
cornutt
alternating.bit wrote:
My initial reaction to just the photo was is 2U width really needed just for a snare? But after hearing the range of sound coming out of it I bit my tongue.
Nice sounds!

Yeah, if I'm going to buy drum modules, I want ones that give you a lot of control and modulation options. This looks interesting.
steffengrondahl
TimeRaveler wrote:
Sounds great! Now that we're getting some drums in MU, what do you guys think is the best drum-friendly sequencer available? I feel like a SimpleSeq per drum would be pretty cool for triggers and 'param-locking' something per step.

I use the Moon Modular 568 trigger sequencer. Expensive but what a fantastic user interface thumbs up

And Pablo nice sounds. Will be my next order (unless the DR-03 is available before the DR-02 lol )
daveholiday
OHHHH HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

Not this guy yet again....

I took the time to play the clip backwards....I was shocked at the message I heard!!

"This module will be released the day before your biggest monthly payment comes due"

The nerve of some people....guess you will be getting a paypal notification the day before my house payment.....Jerk!

love sounds awesome...keep it coming, I want my Corsyth drum machine!!
boothnavy
lovely.
TimeRaveler
This seems like a happy medium between a typical drum module (with just the basic decay/tune controls) and something like Basimilus Iteritas.

I'd definitely prefer 3-4 very configurable/CV-able modules over a line of 8 simple modules for every drum type (might as well use a standard drum machine at that point).

I guess DR-03 would probably be Hats/Cymbals and after that...only Pablo knows!
Thalassa
Thanks all for your feedback smile

About the double size panel, the snare is one of the most complex drum sounds to synthesize. Normally in most drum machines only a small fraction of parameters are available to tweak by the user. The philosophy behind the DR series is to offer modules that are able to offer a wide range of sounds and to do that you have to put most of the important parameters in the control panel.

Behind the panel this module has :

2 VCOs with a sync circuit
1 Noise generator
4 AD Envelopes
3 VCAs
2 VCFs ( one 12db resonant high pass , and 6db non resonant lowpass )
1 Mixer

As you can see there is plenty of places to put a knob smile This module is design to make snare sounds but is also able to synthesize toms, bass drums , zaps , fm sounds, even basic noise hit-hats and cymbals

@josaka I will look into transient the attack smile

And since the cat is already out of the bag , here it is the front panel. Keep in mind that the final version can change slightly :

Dob
Nice to see dedicated 5U drum modules!! hyper

I would have loved to have control over those 4 A/D envelopes, though... those can make a beat come to life without loosing the timbral content. I like to use unsynchronized LFO's for that kind of thing. You could CV this snare to be hihat AND snare that way easily by having very short hits in between the longer snares.
Or at least affect 2 of the A/D's by CV... or 1 hyper

Actually... now I'm looking at the panel and the CV ins might as well affect the decay??? I'm assuming, from the input names, they affect filter cutoff... ???

Uhm... what do the LPF/HPF inputs do razz
Thalassa
Dob wrote:
Nice to see dedicated 5U drum modules!! hyper

I would have loved to have control over those 4 A/D envelopes, though... those can make a beat come to life without loosing the timbral content. I like to use unsynchronized LFO's for that kind of thing. You could CV this snare to be hihat AND snare that way easily by having very short hits in between the longer snares.
Or at least affect 2 of the A/D's by CV... or 1 hyper

Actually... now I'm looking at the panel and the CV ins might as well affect the decay??? I'm assuming, from the input names, they affect filter cutoff... ???

Uhm... what do the LPF/HPF inputs do razz

I though about vc envelopes but it complicates a lot the design :( . In case you want to do what you have described you can always use my C106 and an external VCA. Just patch the ouput of the DR-02 to the VCA and control the decay with the C106. hihi hihi

About the CV inputs

Tune CV : affects the head tune, for example using a velocity sensitive patch the harder you hit it the higher the tune. Also very useful for FM sounds

LPF and HPF : affects the filter cuttofs , again you can use to add dynamics to the sound or to create crazy sounds.
TimeRaveler
I have to agree with Dob, the main thing I would want to sequence on a snare drum is the decay/intensity, followed closely by attack (to mix in some brush & shaker type sounds).

I'd give up one of those filter CV inputs (or maybe the filter jack could affect both HP & LP together?) Or even the tune jack - since I'm typically not adjusting snare tune during a sequence - but that would be a last resort.

I know the design is pretty much complete, but something like an intensity knob/jack could be cool - affecting decay, filter brightness, volume, and very slightly pitch all in one.
Thalassa
At this moment the design is basically closed only minor tweaks left to do. As I said , adding vc envelopes would complicate too much the circuit and it is already quite complex, I know is a good feature but in this stage is impossible to add.

TimeRaveler wrote:
Or even the tune jack - since I'm typically not adjusting snare tune during a sequence - but that would be a last resort

The tune cv for me is the most important and useful cv input in the module. Audio modulation opens the gate for crazy sounds and FM sounds like the example below. The sound comes from just one DR-02 been modulated.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/dr02mod[/s]
TimeRaveler
Didn't even think of FM-ing it, yep you need that tune CV!
Thalassa
Today I've been recording the official demos for the module and I've put together a video with some of the loops that I've recorded. The demos were multitrack recorded and mixed , no FX or compression was used. Individual tracks are played after each loop. All sounds were created using the DR-02 , some auxiliar modules were used as modulation sources but all the audio comes from the DR-02. As you can see is capable of much more that just snare drums. Mr. Green

AMJ
AMJ
Cannot wait for this. I have two dr1. SSSSOOO excited!
Pablo, any thoughts about effect/filter modules?
bwhittington
steffengrondahl wrote:
TimeRaveler wrote:

I use the Moon Modular 568 trigger sequencer. Expensive but what a fantastic user interface thumbs up

It doesn't seem to be the popular choice anymore, but I am still partial to the Moon 563 for this sort of thing. You sacrifice memory and steps, but the 563 switches feels like the more playable interface, particularly with it being so quick to set a reset at any step. I have two 563's vs. zero 568's now, despite thinking the 568 was pretty cool. Two of the little guys just seemed like the more versatile choice for my use. And the 563 is super cheap in comparison.
Thalassa
AMJ wrote:
Cannot wait for this. I have two dr1. SSSSOOO excited!
Pablo, any thoughts about effect/filter modules?

smile I have a project for a new filter but there are a few modules before in the line smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2