MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Prok Drum modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Prok Drum modules
Bartelby
Finally out. I've been waiting for these for ages!
I've ordered a BD and SN module.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/manufacturer/prok-modular/pro k-drums/

windspirit
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

It looks like a great module.
Zymos
I need at least one of these!
Anyone know of US dealers. No problem with ordering from Thonk if not....
DonKartofflo
Its such a shame that they dont have accent ins :(
euromorcego
Rockin' Banana!

also waited quite a while for those. .... but unfortunately: "The software is an original development which has no relation to Radio Music and is not open source. The Teensy ... comes pre-programmed with the software already loaded".

I think this is a mistake, for two reasons: First, I actually broke 1-2 Teensies with the RadioMusic (always my fault). But then I could replace it because the software was available.

Second, good things usually come if things are OpenSource. It is BS to think people will buy less or "steal" things, often the contrary happens. For example, I would order 2-3 full kits right away, and then maybe do some self-sourced builds and maybe dabble in the software a bit (albeit very amateurish).

But since it seems I will not even be able to replace the Teensy when broken, I'll pass ... this thing is not for me.
windspirit
DonKartofflo wrote:

I feel like you could use one of the morph inputs as an accent, especially if you attenuate them.
ben_hex
windspirit wrote:
DonKartofflo wrote:

I feel like you could use one of the morph inputs as an accent, especially if you attenuate them.

that was my first thought and also my brief experience with them so far.
MDK
windspirit wrote:
DonKartofflo wrote:

Yes, absolutely. Most of the built in 'quads' (set of 4 patches that your morph between) are setup around them having a similar function to accented variations such as changing envelope timings and introducing more harmonics etc..

I'll certainly think about designing an extra patch bank that is purely focused on accent style morphs if someone doesn't beat me to it when the editor is available.
Monobass
euromorcego wrote:
But since it seems I will not even be able to replace the Teensy when broken, I'll pass ... this thing is not for me.

We will sell programmed Teensies sepereately and also provide firmware upon request to any previous buyers. It won't be a problem. Just ask smile
synthetek
Monobass wrote:

We will sell programmed Teensies sepereately and also provide firmware upon request to any previous buyers. It won't be a problem. Just ask smile

Can the programmed Teensies be used with a Radio Music/Chord Organ ?
Monobass
synthetek wrote:
Monobass wrote:

Can the programmed Teensies be used with a Radio Music/Chord Organ ?

Yep! The interface isn't so good when you don't have the LED's in the same configuration as on the prok modules (and the trigger button on the radio music doesn't have an LED inside either) but it functions.
Grom
bloody hell, I would love all 4. they sounds like such a quick fix for loading your digitakt to the brim with some kick ass drumsamples. they don't even need to be integrated into my live system. just sound design and pushing out kits at a exponential rate.
ugokcen
I’m really liking what I’m seeing (and hearing)! I prefer synthesized drums over samples but I have stayed away from drum modules so far due to cost and hp. Prok might change that.

Is the SD card slot being used for anything?
Monobass
ugokcen wrote:
I’m really liking what I’m seeing (and hearing)! I prefer synthesized drums over samples but I have stayed away from drum modules so far due to cost and hp. Prok might change that.

Is the SD card slot being used for anything?

The SD card is used to load new banks which you can create in the software editor. We'll release some more pre-prepared banks soon and then some artist banks and the software editor in 2019.
Monobass
ben_hex wrote:
windspirit wrote:
DonKartofflo wrote:

that was my first thought and also my brief experience with them so far.

Note also the module has a 6 pin expansion header on the back. More info next year.
Bartelby
Built the BD and SN this afternoon. Nice easy build, as usual with Thonk kits.
Only had time to test they work and a little play.
First impression is that these are nice sounding modules. Looking forward to when the editor is available and I’m curious about the expansion possibilities...
anselmi
really interested in this but I´d like to know more about the workflow with the editor

do you have any kind of audio clue when programming the banks? or you do it blindly and then pass the banks to the module using the card?

If yes, can you try the morphing in the editor itself before export? I think that this should be important to test if the variations would work in different musical scenarios
MDK
The editor connects via USB to the module so you can edit the patches in real time including controlling the X/Y morph.

If you have an SD card in the module it can also write the patches direct to SD. If there isn't an SD any changes will be lost when the module is switched off.

BUT There's also patch saving and loading from the computer as well so you can have your own local library of patches and assign them to whichever slots you like on the module and manually copy them to an SD card to use on the module.

We still have some work to do to make the editor suitable for general public usage but for those who are keen we'll have a beta ready hopefully in January.

Feel free to ask any questions about the details or suggest workflows you would like to have available.
anselmi
MDK wrote:
The editor connects via USB to the module so you can edit the patches in real time including controlling the X/Y morph.

If you have an SD card in the module it can also write the patches direct to SD. If there isn't an SD any changes will be lost when the module is switched off.

BUT There's also patch saving and loading from the computer as well so you can have your own local library of patches and assign them to whichever slots you like on the module and manually copy them to an SD card to use on the module.

We still have some work to do to make the editor suitable for general public usage but for those who are keen we'll have a beta ready hopefully in January.

Feel free to ask any questions about the details or suggest workflows you would like to have available.

great
where is the USB connector located? I hope you don´t have to dismount the modules to connect it...or yes?

Is it possible to have multiple banks in the SD card and just load them by one in a live situation? if yes, how many banks can you have in the SD card?

can you describe the synthesis architecture? or is it like a more open modular stuff (like editing in the nord modular editor)
MDK
The usb isn't on the front panel but underneath so probably not easily accessible in most cases. I have mine in one of these :

https://www.thonk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/skiff_3-4.jpg

So I can always plug them in as required.

The current firmware doesn't support multiple banks on the SD. it's something we're working out at the moment so how many and how you access them will depend on what we think works in terms of usability rather than any technical limitations.

As for the synthesis architecture there's 2 levels to look at this. Each module BD, SN, HH and CP has its own fixed architecture. We put schematics for them on the corresponding pages :

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/prok-bassdrum-kit/

e.g.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/BD-Schematic.jpg

The audio models are fixed at compile time so the architecture can't be edited or modified via the editor or SD etc.

But at the code level it is 'modular' : the code wiring looks pretty much like the schematics. We can update the models in future by adding new modules and create new models based on the same morphing architecture.
Monobass
The USB connector is on the back, I've got them mounted in the top row of a case with USB cables coming out of the back. The USB connector points downwards so to mount them permanently with a USB cable on the bottom row of a case you either need right angled USB connectors or clearance below the bottom rail.
anselmi
MDK wrote:
The usb isn't on the front panel but underneath so probably not easily accessible in most cases. I have mine in one of these :

https://www.thonk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/skiff_3-4.jpg

So I can always plug them in as required.

The current firmware doesn't support multiple banks on the SD. it's something we're working out at the moment so how many and how you access them will depend on what we think works in terms of usability rather than any technical limitations.

As for the synthesis architecture there's 2 levels to look at this. Each module BD, SN, HH and CP has its own fixed architecture. We put schematics for them on the corresponding pages :

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/prok-bassdrum-kit/

e.g.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/BD-Schematic.jpg

The audio models are fixed at compile time so the architecture can't be edited or modified via the editor or SD etc.

But at the code level it is 'modular' : the code wiring looks pretty much like the schematics. We can update the models in future by adding new modules and create new models based on the same morphing architecture.

thanks for the schematics pages
honestly I prefer your way of a fixed architecture since this keeps the instruments focused in what it should do (kicks, snares, etc)...more open approach would be distracting and loose character...this limitations adds personality to the sound and I by seeing the schematics there´s plenty of stuff to work with

I can live with the internal USB connector...I can leave a simple cable already attached to it, but I think that more than 1 bank in the SD is critical for live use, since I would use the 4 morphing patches to add expression to 1 sound more than like having several "static" sounds with X/Y control

EDIT: I just read that threre´s 4 banks of 4 patches...this is better
MDK
yeah the naming of patches / quads / banks takes a bit of getting used to.

we have 1 bank of 4 quads and each quad has 4 patches, so 16 in total per module.

There's 16 already in memory or you can choose to load 16 from the SD instead.
Bartelby
Might have to MacGyver some micro usb extensions into a panel as I have an enclosed case. Looks like an Xmas holiday project... Mr. Green
atte
MDK wrote:

Please tell me the editor will run on linux!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5