MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

D2000 opinions/experiences.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author D2000 opinions/experiences.
sillyquestions?
Hey, cant seem to find anywhere else with such a response for the metasonix stuff so guess ill post it here. This machine sounds so unique and amazing.

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on the d2000? Read the manual a few weeks back, I like it, very funny.

I notice things in there like, 'There may be hum, noise and
crosstalk on all inputs and outputs -- get used to it. It's vacuum tubes, and tubes are evil and unruly
little bastards'.

Whats everyones experience with this? Is it really a problem? I mean ive got a 20 year old Tube compressor and it's never hummed? Rarely any noise? Has anyone actually had hum from the unit itself? I know the MK1 did, but just wondering if this one was improved. seriously, i just don't get it

When using the individual outs is there much of a 'spill' from the other voices?

Does the unit have to be housed in a rack? I've only seen the back and front of it and it looks like it couldn't just sit on my desk?

How do you sync it up with other gear since theres no clock? hmmm.....

Can anyone send over some videos of them using the unit? I often get hard when I hear it...

Honest answers would be much appreciated.

nanners we're not worthy
Yes Powder
It sounds like you've already listened to samples, and have decided you like it. I'd say go for it; most of us here got into Metasonix just by taking the plunge and spending time learning how to use it. Just go for it thumbs up

Yes, there's some noise. It's not a mains-hum, though. It's also usually not as bad as you're probably thinking; it generally can be worked around, and oftentimes is inaudible. (A true creative would tell you to use it to your advantage!)

Quote:
Does the unit have to be housed in a rack? I've only seen the back and front of it and it looks like it couldn't just sit on my desk?

Hell naw! I mean if you plan on going on tour with it you probably should, but I just keep my S-2000 (similar enclosure) on my desk.

Quote:
How do you sync it up with other gear since theres no clock?

Each sound has a dedicated trigger input and audio input, and Tuning CV you can connect to your Eurorack or outboard sequencer. It also has power and space for an 8hp sequencing module like Pamela's Workout.
sillyquestions?
Cool man, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I dont just like it, i love it... eek!

So when you say noise... its not a mains hum? What type of noise are we talking? Im scared!

Just trying to get my head around this atm. Are you saying that using the triggers on my sequencer will be enough to keep my D2K in time with all of my other gear which is clocked via CV Gate and Midi?

Could you send me over some vids of you working with the machine? Maybe an example of the 'noise' the machine puts out, preferably at it's worst possible so I can then see how it will affect me! If you could do that it would be much appreciated.

Cheers again man ,
Yes Powder
I don't actually own a D-2000 yet, but it's on my wishlist. (My plan is to get one as a reward to myself should I land a state-job early next year. Otherwise, I hope to have enough money for one put aside by spring/summer.) Currently I have an S-2000, the R-series 52—57, and an RK6; so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect when I can finally pull the trigger on it.

sillyquestions? wrote:
So when you say noise... its not a mains hum? What type of noise are we talking? Im scared!

It's noise from the switching power supply. It's otherworldly! Here's a video of joey using it to great effect.

And here's a couple videos of xthrasherx getting some nice sounds without much PSU noise to speak of.

Quote:
Just trying to get my head around this atm. Are you saying that using the triggers on my sequencer will be enough to keep my D2K in time with all of my other gear which is clocked via CV Gate and Midi?

Yes. The triggers are what control each sound. The D-2000 has no internal sequencer.
sillyquestions?
Hmm I dunno, I cant really tell if where the noise is in them videos? I seen videos of Allesandro Cortini using it and there wasnt noise?

Cool, well thanks for you input man its much appreciated. Im probably going to order tomorrow. Cheers!
depth20
I sometimes use a noise gate with my D1000 when I want a clean beat.
sillyquestions?
depth20 wrote:
I sometimes use a noise gate with my D1000 when I want a clean beat.

Is it really that noisy? Do you think the mk2 will be improved?
lisa
Would it be a problem for you if it is really noisy? I think that if you dislike noise then stuff from Metasonix probably won’t be a great fit for you.
sillyquestions?
Well it depends on the noise? Ive yet to discover that kind of noise it really is. Like I said before, ive heard a video of Allesandro cortini doing a video and theres no noise. Its very clean sounding. How can that be possible if the units are 'noisy'?

I dont think the noise would really be that much of a problem but im trying to get a distinct sound of what the noise is so I can see if Id be able to work around. Do you have a d2000?
lisa
I don't have one but it's very clear from many sound demos how very noisy it is. I think that it might elude you because it's so obvious that you're thinking that it must be one of the noise parts, not the background noise.

Listen to the beginning of this official demo from Metasonix:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/metasonix/d2000demo1wav[/s]

Metasonix wrote:
This is the raw unprocessed output of a D-2000 being sequenced by a Delptronics Triggerman. First bass, then adding other drums [...] Yes, this is exactly what it sounds like. No, there are no effects or EQ added.
sillyquestions?
Okay yeah so im hearing the link between the videos now but still doesnt explain how this doesnt have that noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RuJ4Nxd7s
lisa
Noise gate?
sillyquestions?
Okay, fair enough. Thanks for your input by the way. I often find a noise gate takes too much away from the attack of a drum? Would you agree?
Yes Powder
Metasonix! The Agonizer! Agony! EMBRACE THE NOISE!Agony! The Agonizer! Metasonix!
Yes Powder
sillyquestions? wrote:
Okay yeah so im hearing the link between the videos now but still doesnt explain how this doesnt have that noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RuJ4Nxd7s

He's using the individual outputs on each voice, which are less noisy than the mix-out.
sillyquestions?
fuck it, im going for it
Yes Powder
Enjoy it! thumbs up
xthrasherx
Just to chime in with some of my own experience (thanks Yes Powder for sharing the videos), but most of my unwanted noise / hum came from the D2000 picking a power hum from my Beat Step Pro. Took a while to figure it out, but once I isolated the BSP power source (was previously getting power from the computer), any unwanted noise went away. That doesn't mean the D2000 doesn't have its quirks, but it just takes some time to dial in and figure work arounds. Both of those linked videos were recorded with the main out for what its worth.
sillyquestions?
Thanks man. Ill be using the BSP as well. Does it work okay? Ive got power conditioners to power it so hopefully noise won't be too much of a problem. Are the individual outputs quite isolated from each other or is that one of the quirks?

Have you ever tried it with a trigger sequencer?
xthrasherx
BSP works great, though you'll need to play around with the gate times a little bit which can be adjusted per track and per step. Different gate lenghts can cause different sounds / dynamics depending on the voice, so you can get some good dynamics out of a single voice.

The biggest noise issue for me was a result of powering the BSP through the USB on my computer. Doing so can create a groundloop, which I never noticed until using with the D2000. Easy fix and not an issue anymore.

I find the individual outs to be mostly isolated from eachother, but there are a lot of variables that can impact it such as the trigger source, voltage of the trigger source, that type of thing. I also found it is a little temperamental about what the individual out is being fed into, specifically the "drum" voices. I had a few mixers available to test with and can multi-track it just fine.

As for trigger sequencers, as the linked videos above show, I personally have used it with the BSP (my favorite overall), Euclidean Circles, and the FH-1 (Octatrack midi to cv). I also attempted to use my Gotharman LD2 eurorack expansion as a trigger source, but the gate lengths are too long and not adjustable as far as I can tell (causes a double trigger on the drum voices).

Anyway, hope this helps. Don't expect clean or predictable overall. It is a wonderful instrument, but you have to embrace it for what it is. I've tried to get along with other drum machines, but none of them quite worked for what goes on in my head. The D2000 solved that twisted
sillyquestions?
xthrasherx wrote:
I also found it is a little temperamental about what the individual out is being fed into, specifically the "drum" voices. I had a few mixers available to test with and can multi-track it just fine.

What do you mean here? Could you explain a little further? I play to multitrack it with my mixer too.

Yeah I get what you mean when you say you've tried out a few drum machines and they've not tickled you the right way. I just sold both my RYTM and DFAM to fund this thing... The videos ive seen are simply stunning. Have you tried the MK1? If so, how does it compare to the mk2?

Cool, well un till i've got enough money saved i'm going to stick with the BSP. It's actually a very good sequencer if you have modular stuff.

Thanks very much for the reply. Appreciated.
sillyquestions?
plan*
xthrasherx
Here is what Eric told me when I inquired about the “problem” I was experiencing.

Quote:
I know, setting the tuning and resonance is a little difficult. And connecting a load to an individual output can cause problems--they can only feed a high impedance input. Don't try to drive 600 ohm inputs on a mixer or such.

I haven’t had any further issues since sending the signals to high impedance inputs. Individual outs work well with my WMD Performance Mixer, my Boss BX16, and my Behringer XR18. It did not work well with my Sputnik stereo mixer, but I found the controls on that lacking in general.

Here’s a quick video I put together a while back of the D2000 and the KV100. The D2000 was sequenced by the BSP and the KV100 by the MakeNoise Rene. Individual outs recorded and mixed in Logic.

sillyquestions?
That video sounds great. Just having a look at your soundcloud just now. Some cool stuff there. Nice ideas and production.

About the individual outs.. My mixer seems to only have to hi-z switches for high impedance. Does this mean that I could only MTK 2 channels at once? Im guessing so.

By the way... does the triggers on the BSP still keep in time with every other bit of equipment thats running of it's clock?
xthrasherx
Depends I guess. IF you end up having an issue sending the individual out into the mixer, then try a hi-z input or maybe send that voice into another VCA. I haven’t had to really worry about it in a long while, which probably means I did something wrong to begin with lol

Ultimately they are vacuum tubes and can be quirky from time to time. I still have my custom built hi-gain tube amp from when I was in a loud obnoxious thrash metal band and that needed a noise gate in front of the amp and in the fx loop to keep everything from running away with feedback. In my experience, the metasonix stuff is much tamer than most of the guitar amps I’ve had experience with (in terms of crosstalk or interference... not in sound twisted ).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2