MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

22-Space cabinet - looking different MU modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 22-Space cabinet - looking different MU modules
Synth Con Meo
Ok, so in a previous thread that I started I asked about the Synthesizers.com cabinets and if people were happy with them. I ended up splurging and ordering at 44-Studio and two 22-Studio cabinets. Also I ordered a few more
modules to help fill in the gaps. This leaves me with one empty 22-Studio case that I am thinking about maybe getting some other brand modules. I am looking for module that are different or sound different than the .COM modules.

First off I want to stick with MU sized modules, not to take away from MOTM size and such but I want to keep things fairly consistent. My next move eventually I will probably go with MOTM or other sized modules in another cabinet but not now.
Also I want them to be the standard .COM/Moog esthetic style panels, more or less the black with the silver edges. My first choice would be preassembled. So I’ve been looking at MOON, STG, Corsynth, Krisp1 and such. Which I know Noisebug
carries a lot of those brands. And as far as DIY that would be my second choice but I would rather have a full kit and have the panels available. Not to say I wouldn’t eventually go for a DIY that I would have to source components and such but
I don’t have the time to do so.

My current cabinets contain all but one .COM modules, so I have VCO’s (5 actually, 2 of which I got used), Transistor and State Variable filters, along with the Filter bank. EG’s, VCO’s, LFO’s. ++’s. Q960 with the trimmings, Q119 with it’s toys. So
basically a real nice setup. I did just get the Synthetic Sound Radio Music on sale. What I am looking for is some extra modules that are different, like other brand VCO’s that sound different then the MOOGY .COM stuff. EG’s, VCA’s, LFO’s, FX.
I know many of you have had years of experience with working with other brand modules so I am hoping for some recommendations from your knowledge.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos demoing modules, especially from JIR which is always great. Maybe a MOON 517 or a couple 517s’s. Or the Synthetic Sound 5-Pulser/Dual Analog XOR. A decent Phaser maybe, or STG- Wavefolder. Krisp1 OCTO?
I know there was a recent thread about Must have Modules in 5U which has some good recommendations but again there is some MOTM sized modules in there and it’s a little hard to glean just MU stuff from that thread. I did see a recommendation
for a Wogglebug from Synthcube but again that’s MOTM, would be nice if there as an MU Wogglebug.

So without going on and on more than I have I think you might get the idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks

Synth Con Meo
hsosdrum
If you're looking for modules with more of a non-Dotcom personality, I would check out the Corsynth C110 VC filter. I got one a few weeks ago and wound up replacing my Moon 517S with it (I thought the 517S behaved almost exactly like the Dotcom Q107 with its clipping jumper set to Off — Hard Clipping.)

The C110 sounds noticeably different from the 107 — I would characterize it as sounding somewhat more reedy and synth-like. Although it's not as flexible as the 107, I find that it works well for bass passages (although ladder filters like the Q150 are still the king for this application) and can be made to do all sorts of weird and wonderful things for lead passages.

The only don-Dotcom oscillator I've used is the SSL 1200, which I love for both its sound and its 1U width (I don't love its lacking an octave range switch). However, if anything I think it sounds even a bit more Moog-y than the Dotcom Q106/106A, which I think are pretty sonically neutral.

I'm sure others here with more experience than myself can point you in all sorts of new directions. thumbs up
josaka
might be selling a couple of 517s .. or swaps..
Dave Peck
Synth Con Meo wrote:
...Or the Synthetic Sound 5-Pulser/Dual Analog XOR. A decent Phaser maybe, or STG- Wavefolder.

Yup. I would recommend getting some of these less 'bread-n-butter' sound processing modules. Also consider the Happy Nerding Super Sawtor and FM Aid modules. And more mixers and VCAs.
josaka
the SSL DDVCO .. megaohm delta. basimilus magnus ...are all different/worthy..
levelhead3
Second vote for Happy Nerding! Fun modules (pun intended) and Igor's good people too.
Just me
Fill it with STG soundlabs sequencing.
JohnLRice
Synth Con Meo wrote:
I’ve been watching a lot of videos demoing modules, especially from JIR which is always great. Maybe a MOON 517 or a couple 517s’s. Or the Synthetic Sound 5-Pulser/Dual Analog XOR. A decent Phaser maybe, or STG- Wavefolder. Krisp1 OCTO?
Thanks for watching my videos and for the kind words! cool All the above mentioned modules are cool, also the Happy Nerding 5U stuff. If you want really different tonalities and if you don't have any eurorack stuff look at some of the recently ported over modules like the offerings from FreeState FX and Noise Engineering? COTK has lots of really interesting modules as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1