MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Merry Xmas .!! ..........+ Treats..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Merry Xmas .!! ..........+ Treats..
josaka
Merry Xmas All !!!
Are you treating yourself or are being treated to anything nice for crimbles.. ?

I through pure timing and bad luck have have been forced buy quite a few modules.. smile..living in the wartorn UK .. brexit is playing havoc with the £.. so it forced my hand into purchasing a few modules.. should be getting 3 SW oscillators 2x921 and a single 901 (to add to my others)
also these came up second hand so..I just had to.. an SSL envelope gen a Q157 a Q114 and a (j)Q150..

so .. completely by accident.. I should be having a bumper module bump..

what do you have planned..?

have a great christmas whatever is going on smile smile

PS: I have 2x moon 517s for Swaps or sale..
ranix
I'm cleaning out, repairing, and upgrading all my computers this holiday season. I put together a new primary machine and it kind of triggered a cascade of hand-me-down upgrades. I've got a badass machine in the living room for entertainment and somewhat less-capable ones in the office for music and work use, but every year or two they need some heavy elbow grease and a can of compressed air. The new schtick this year is water cooling, I am trying to eliminate fan noise from my apartment. Right now the living room is a disaster.

I also have to finish wiring up some 5V power in the case I picked up last summer from Mark11Audio and put my new STG Envelope Generator and Switch into service. Should be enough to keep me busy over the holidays.

Eric the Red
I had a great year at work this year and got a nice little bonus. I am working on putting together the most massive parts list ever and ordering t nags for the 90ish PCBs on the bench... probably spending New Year’s Eve doing this.
fac
I got an STG Mankato and Mixer a couple months ago; my first modules after more than 3 years of not buying anything. Still have 7 spaces left in my MU system, so I might get a set of Corsynth drum modules once the DR-02 is available. Either that or a Moog DFAM; I haven't quite decided yet.
Rex Coil 7
I bought my disabled brother a new Korg Monologue and a new Arturia Drumbrute Impact.

Got my wife a new Korg Kaosillator.

All three of those goodies are hidden under my side of the bed, waiting to make my family happy on Christmas morning. It will be a musical morning, that's for sure!

applause
josaka
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I bought my disabled brother a new Korg Monologue and a new Arturia Drumbrute Impact.

All three of those goodies are hidden under my side of the bed, waiting to make my family happy on Christmas morning. It will be a musical morning, that's for sure!

applause

this sounds like a fun noisy christmas morning.. !
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

applause

Sure does!

By the way, part of crinkles for you has left L.A. ... it just might show up in time!

Trampoline
josaka
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
josaka wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

applause

Sure does!

By the way, part of crinkles for you has left L.A. ... it just might show up in time!
Trampoline

should do.. its also going to be great.. looking forward to the 157 chaos.. !!
its going to be primarily hooked up to 5 SW921.. smile

going to combine two slew generators and a .com noise module behind a single panel too ! smile
JohnLRice
Mountains of ongoing projects, mostly trouble shooting shit! meh hihi My newest 5U acquisition was the Marienberg VC Sine Phase VCO which is pretty sweet, even though I had to modify the panel so I could mount it. Unfortunately it has developed a slight problem (1 out of the 8 pulse outputs has gone bad cry ) so hopefully Marienberg can advise me on the repair. (since I've fucked with it I doubt I can exchange it oops )
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
(since I've fucked with it I doubt I can exchange it oops )

JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
(since I've fucked with it I doubt I can exchange it oops )

waah hihi
hsosdrum
Now that Dotcom has released a 1U version of the Q150 I put in a quote for one, along with another Q125 processor (gotta control the 150 thru the 125 top section) and a Q181 pitch wheel. My emerging philosophy seems to be that there's no such thing as too many ladder filters (this'll be #3 screaming goo yo.)

To do this it looks like I'll be squeezing my unused P22 cab (which has its own power supply) into the system so I have some extra room to play around with. It'll give me a place to put the various and sundry modules that are sitting unused on my shelf (I'm lookin' at you, Q127 FFB, and you Q130 clipper/rectifier.). Once I'm happy with what's in the P22 I'll add 22-unit studio cab and transfer everything into it.
josaka
wondering why you are buying the 125 when the Q114 is out.. ?

2x the 125 + a whole load of other options..
Rex Coil 7
Ok, I just bought a used Strymon Blue Sky for my wife on eBay. She's asleep on the couch and totally unwitting, other than her mentioning "that Strymon reverb thing" three or four times over the last six months, we've not discussed the idea of her getting one for Christmas so she really has no idea that it's coming.

Two things need to happen now:

1.) I'll need to sell one of my Dot Com QKB61 five octave keyboards with walnut sides and top to pay for this. Not the one with the ribbon controllers and the stick (no way!), but the "bare one".

2.) I must do my best at concealing any email messages we rec'v regarding eBay/Paypal transactions for this reverb. I've already had to hem~n~haw my way through questions regarding hiding of the Korg Kaosillator that I bought for her (which is still under my side of the bed, wrapped up in plain wrapping).

I'll surely miss the Dot Com keyboard .... but they'll make more of them. I can always save my pennies and get another someday. Totally minor detail.

So more sprinkles for the cringles in our little home. Now my brother gets "two stuffs" and my wife gets "two stuffs". They'll get up on Christmas morning and see these pretty boxes under our tiny little two foot tall Christmas tree. I can't wait!!!!!

Trampoline w00t The Chewbacca Defense w00t w00t!!
hsosdrum
josaka wrote:
wondering why you are buying the 125 when the Q114 is out.. ?

2x the 125 + a whole load of other options..

In addition to the two Q114's that I'm using as oscillator mixers in voices I also have a third Q114 that's reserved strictly for signal processing — I even had Roger substitute a X10 boost for the X2 boost in Ch1 to provide make-up gain for the Q127, which drops the signal by 6dB – 8dB when the BP filters are switched into the signal path. At the moment my processing Q114 has 3 open channels, so I don't have an immediate need for a fourth one. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the Q114 — I find being able to use it as a distributor or configure it as two 2-channel mixers extremely powerful. thumbs up

I find the 125 top section's combination of 200% gain and negative offset to be perfect for getting a really powerful EG-driven filter sweep on the Q150 (and also on the Grove G294A.) I know you can also do that with 2 channels on the 114, but for me the 125 is a more elegant solution. Plus, the 125 is half the cost of the 114.
Faustgeist
josaka wrote:

what do you have planned..?

have a great Christmas whatever is going on smile smile

Merry Xmas Josaka!

My sister and her family live in Portland, OR. I will be going there for a week vacation in a few days. There I plan to eat good food, grab books at Powells & visit Control Voltage + hopefully a few other smaller modular stores. Not sure if any of them sell 5U . .

As for gifts - my nephew is into guitar and needs a few more years before I buy him a synth such as the MiniBrut 2. But I always let him noodle on the portable euro case.

For myself (ahem) I ordered a Klee to be built by MegaOhm and DSLman is working up a custom Haible. January will be fun!

But mostly I am expanding my music room by enclosing a porch. That will take 10 weeks of work and of course it will get a lot messier before it gets cleaner. Dead Banana

Hope everyone has a relaxing and musical holiday!
~Robin
josaka
thought you were a space junky like me.. smile

hadn't looked at the price for a while they used to be $125 ..no?
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
thought you were a space junky ...
Hey ... check your PMs .... cringles goodies are en route!
josaka
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
josaka wrote:
thought you were a space junky ...
Hey ... check your PMs .... cringles goodies are en route!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

very very close now..smile I live 7-8 miles from heathrow !
but thanks to uk customs .. that can be a week or more !!
can be less.. but 6 days is regular if they collar you.. plus you get some nice new charges added in from them and from the post service(which you have already paid for!).. I also like how they charge VAT on the shipping fees and count it as part of the cost of your item.. its like some kind of freudian nightmare.. smile
lets hope it doesnt get pulled smile ..thats my christmas wish sorted !!

rant over... (for now)
Rex Coil 7
Redneck well that just figures!
hsosdrum
josaka wrote:

The first time I ordered one was May of 2017 and it was $80 (I just checked the quote Dotcom sent me for that order). I can't say what it may have sold for before then.

If by "space junky" you mean someone who never has enough cabinet space for all their modules then yep, I'm a space junky. hihi
Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
josaka wrote:

The first time I ordered one was May of 2017 and it was $80 (I just checked the quote Dotcom sent me for that order). I can't say what it may have sold for before then.
We're still talking about the Q125, right? If so .. yuppers .. $80.00 they be, so sayeth that most sacred of websites:

LINK = https://synthesizers.com/q125.html

I used to feel as though the Q125 Signal Processor was redundant, especially with the Q114 coming along as the new kid in school with all the wealthy-parents-money, good looks, and "chick-killer car" thing goin' on. But the Q125 is actually a better device in the purpose it was intended for. The Q114 has all of these ~features~, but they're not accessible unless you remove it from it's mount in your cabinet and fiddle-dick with jumper links, and perhaps write down/keep notes about how you've configured those jumper links, which really reduces all of those kewl kid features' usefulness. Certainly removes those additional features from immediacy-of-use, of that there's no doubt.

(C'Mon Roger, where's that bloody Q114 AID MODULE? The one that I think I vaguely recall reading someone's rants about "the glaringly obvious need for" in this subforum? Y'know ... that Q114 Aid Module)

ahem ... meh

That said, the Q125 is a far better tool ... everything it was designed to do ... right here, right now, no fuddup jumper links to futz with. It does this one thing, and does the HELL out of it!
fac
hsosdrum wrote:

The Q125 originally sold for $70 (in 2000-2005). It was bumped to $80 in 2006.
hsosdrum
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I used to feel as though the Q125 Signal Processor was redundant, especially with the Q114 coming along as the new kid in school with all the wealthy-parents-money, good looks, and "chick-killer car" thing goin' on. But the Q125 is actually a better device in the purpose it was intended for. The Q114 has all of these ~features~, but they're not accessible unless you remove it from it's mount in your cabinet and fiddle-dick with jumper links, and perhaps write down/keep notes about how you've configured those jumper links, which really reduces all of those kewl kid features' usefulness. Certainly removes those additional features from immediacy-of-use, of that there's no doubt.

(C'Mon Roger, where's that bloody Q114 AID MODULE? The one that I think I vaguely recall reading someone's rants about "the glaringly obvious need for" in this subforum? Y'know ... that Q114 Aid Module)

That said, the Q125 is a far better tool ... everything it was designed to do ... right here, right now, no fuddup jumper links to futz with. It does this one thing, and does the HELL out of it!

Must say that I agree with you, Rex. The main reason I don't use my dedicated-processor Q114 for the boost+negative voltage offset that the Q125 does so well is that it's Channel 1 that has the secondary function defaulted to voltage inversion, and that happens to be the channel that I had Roger change from a 2X boost to a 10X boost for my Q127. So I need to keep that channel open.

I could pull the unit out of the case and set, say Channel 3's secondary function to Invert, but then the function wouldn't match the friggin' panel graphics. d'oh!

I understand your desire for a sidecar module, but I'd never dedicate a 1U space just for that. Instead, I think the most elegant solution would have been replacing the function switches with a 5-way pushbutton and a 5-color LED. Each press of the button would cycle to the next function, and the LED color would change to tell you what was active. love
Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Must say that I agree with you, Rex. The main reason I don't use my dedicated-processor Q114 for the boost+negative voltage offset that the Q125 does so well is that it's Channel 1 that has the secondary function defaulted to voltage inversion, and that happens to be the channel that I had Roger change from a 2X boost to a 10X boost for my Q127. So I need to keep that channel open.

I could pull the unit out of the case and set, say Channel 3's secondary function to Invert, but then the function wouldn't match the friggin' panel graphics. d'oh!

I understand your desire for a sidecar module, but I'd never dedicate a 1U space just for that. Instead, I think the most elegant solution would have been replacing the function switches with a 5-way pushbutton and a 5-color LED. Each press of the button would cycle to the next function, and the LED color would change to tell you what was active. love
I wouldn't care how it got done, just get it done! The reason I came up with the aid module 4ch rotary switch thing is that it permits people that already spent $160-sumthing on the Q114 to add more functionality. It would also not require complete redesign of the Q114 itself (which the multi-color LED/pushbutton cycle thing would). Then if he (Roger) felt the need, he could create the LED/pushbutton version. The same way he came up with the Q106 and Q141 and then later came up with the Q106A which combined the two. That way, those of us that spent piles on collections of Q106 VCOs still have the option of adding the "aid", while not forcing us to invest many times more on all new Q106As just to obtain the function that the Q141 offers.

seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3