MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel, and voltage control of timbre?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel, and voltage control of timbre?
mousegarden
I've noticed that it's easy to apply CV to pitch on the Easel, and AM modulations, but it seems that variations in timbre using CV have been designed out. It's very frustrating, for instance, not being able to route the modulation oscillator to a Timbre CV iinput on complex oscillator.
I'm wondering how people have approached this? and how is it possible to set-up subtle slowly changing timbral modulations.
Neovintage
You can use the black (blue on BEMI) banana labelled "Mod CV Out" at the top right in the output section.
This gives the waveforms of the Mod Osc so you can mod whatever you want, so timbre is possible. You can also set the Mod Osc switch to AM and use the banana in frequency of the Complex Osc and have both FM and AM at the same time.

If you want to have CV control for the waveshape between the sine and the selected waveform on the CO you can use a program card or Papz's Toolboxes.
You can also have CV for the selected waveform.

Check this link, you will have a lot of answers.
ArguZ
One of the reasons we made the cardOC

In one of the modes it will give you 4 LFOs that are pre-routed to LPG 1, LPG 2, pitch and Timbre shape which is not accessible via that CV inputs.
With just one extra wire you also could use the timbre input CV and feed it slow Lorenz functions which are even more interesting than simple LFOs as they alter the pattern in X and Y at the same time.
And with the attenuator you can directly shape the intensity without menu diving.
mousegarden
ArguZ wrote:
One of the reasons we made the cardOC

In one of the modes it will give you 4 LFOs that are pre-routed to LPG 1, LPG 2, pitch and Timbre shape which is not accessible via that CV inputs.
With just one wie you also could use the timbre input CV with a cable and feed it slow lorenz functions which are even more interesting than simple LFOs as they alter the pattern in X and Y at the same time.
And with the attenuator you can directly shape the intensity without menu diving.

Thanks for all the info, and that link.
I would like to buy a cardOC, do I get it direct or are there dealers?
PS, guess it's on pre-order.
vgermuse
If a Bemi Easel I use the EG in self-cycle mode with Attack and Decay at 0 for a long, slow LFO routed to timbre. Or the same with a 208r using the Toolbox.
Cheers!
mousegarden
vgermuse wrote:
If a Bemi Easel I use the EG in self-cycle mode with Attack and Decay at 0 for a long, slow LFO routed to timbre. Or the same with a 208r using the Toolbox.
Cheers!

Thanks, I did exactly as you say with the EG yesterday, but can't find a way to directly access the Timbre of the CO. Also, my EG stops working if I change it's function, I have to turn my Easel off and on again to get it to self cycle, same with the Pulser, it's really annoying.
Also, I think I have to get this all in perspective, the whole point is that the Easel should be a self contained performance instrument, once you start adding all sorts of things to it it sort of contradicts that whole concept.
vgermuse
Timbre, Timbre . . .

Here is a very sloppy, early morning video tutorial on accessing both Timbre Slider and Timbre Level knob simultaneously using just a 120k resistor and a program card that comes with the Easel.

Here is the link

You will be accessing/automating the Timbre Level:

via the EG in self-cycle mode:

mousegarden
vgermuse wrote:
Timbre, Timbre . . .

Here is a very sloppy, early morning video tutorial on accessing both Timbre Slider and Timbre Level knob simultaneously using just a 120k resistor and a program card that comes with the Easel.

Here is the link

You will be accessing/automating the Timbre Level:

via the EG in self-cycle mode:

Thanks! That's exactly what I need to do, the effect on the video is exactly what I had in my mind. Just need to get a card now.
papz
The CV of this knob is a standard feature of the 208 ToolBox. Thanks to a banana socket any CV source can be patched to control it and there's an attenuator knob to scale the CV amplitude that works like the 208's sliders.
papz
Corrupt
An excellent product in so many ways.
papz
Thanks Chugging Beers
mousegarden
papz wrote:
The CV of this knob is a standard feature of the 208 ToolBox. Thanks to a banana socket any CV source can be patched to control it and there's an attenuator knob to scale the CV amplitude that works like the 208's sliders.

I must admit, the Toolbox looks like an overal solution, if I get one I may not need a program card and I'll have extra benefits too?
papz
Definitely.

The ToolBox is born from a program card on which I added a few resistors and switches to control some "hidden" settings, then attenuators, then other routings, then banana sockets points, then active circuits... and finally I made a neat one.

Here's Mrs. ToolBox Grandmother zombie

Pogram cards are a very clever presets memory solution but the more complex the card patch is the less live interaction with the settings is possible.
vgermuse
Needless-to-say @papz Toolbox is brillant and definitely my card of choice for live interaction/performance It's peanut butter jelly time!
hermbot
papz, how is the the envelope looping switch on the toolbox different than the envelope "self looping" switch on the easel itself?
papz
Thanks Todd Chugging Beers

On the BEMI Easel the new cycle starts immediately at the end of the decay. On the original 70s units and clones the envelope is not self-cycling, unless modified.

With the ToolBox looper circuit the retrig signal can be delayed with the knob up to 7-8 seconds. It actually adds a 4th envelope time similar to the "off" time of the EMS Synthi A and VCS3 envelope generator. This delay time is also voltage controllable.
Umcorps
Well, if this is going to turn into a "praise the Toolbox" thread, I'd better jump right in now.

Quote:
I must admit, the Toolbox looks like an overal solution, if I get one I may not need a program card and I'll have extra benefits too?

Exactly! And if you order one to include the rear card slot you can still add a program card anyway.

Plus you get to deal with Papz who is an absolute gent.

I just got a Toolbox from him the other week and its transformed what I can do with the Easel. I'm currently at the "lets chuck everything at it" stage of exploration. As seen in this thread. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210922
mousegarden
Great! I need to know about a standard ready made Tool Box, as I'm not a DIY person. The card expansion slot on the back looks cool.
Just a question, it says in the diagram that the input to the CO shape "is not progressive" Please could you explain this?
papz
Thanks Mark Chugging Beers

The "CO waveshape CV in" banana socket is a CV input to the CO waveshape switch, the change is not progressive, the waveform changes when a certain voltage is reached. The behaviour is the same as if the switch is switched manually.

The "CO amplitude CV attenuator" banana socket and pot are a CV input to the waveshape level pot, the change is progressive and subtle variations are possible. The behaviour is the same as if the pot is turned manually.

Please find more info and user manual on my website http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html
I'll be happy to build a ToolBox for you, feel free to pm me.
mousegarden
papz wrote:
Thanks Mark Chugging Beers

The "CO waveshape CV in" banana socket is a CV input to the CO waveshape switch, the change is not progressive, the waveform changes when a certain voltage is reached. The behaviour is the same as if the switch is switched manually.

The "CO amplitude CV attenuator" banana socket and pot are a CV input to the waveshape level pot, the change is progressive and subtle variations are possible. The behaviour is the same as if the pot is turned manually.

Please find more info and user manual on my website http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html
I'll be happy to build a ToolBox for you, feel free to pm me.

Thanks Papz, I'm away from home right now, I'll send you a pm after the holidays.
I'm looking forward to getting more into the Easel during/afterChristmas!

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1