MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Balanced TRS cables with unbalanced outputs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Balanced TRS cables with unbalanced outputs?
sillyquestions?
Hello, just looking for some tips here,

Got myself a prophet 6 and ive read it's unbalanced outputs. Currently using the unit in mono and taking a balanced TRS mogami cable from the output to the input of my Focusrite ISA 2 and then into my desk. There is an incredible amount of noise floor coming from the unit. So much so it's un-usable... Is my cabling correct? Could it be a matter of I need to use an unbalanced cable as thats what the unit outputs? When I use the pre-amp for any of my other equiptment theres no noise what so ever! Just the P6?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
BugBrand
Yes, try an unbalanced cable (surprised you haven't already!)
Or - check the Rane App Note for specific cabling
sillyquestions?
Yeah I know... ive actually got no un-balanced ones kicking around. Strange. Thanks for the reply man!
involver
Make sure you're not plugged into the headphone out too.
sillyquestions?
involver wrote:
Make sure you're not plugged into the headphone out too.
aha yeah! oh ive made sure alright!!
sillyquestions?
hmmm... just tried an unbalanced cable, no change...
gruebleengourd
sillyquestions? wrote:
There is an incredible amount of noise floor coming from the unit. So much so it's un-usable.

What is the actual S/N ?
sillyquestions?
Couldnt tell you right now, it's tucked away and difficult to get into from the back. Ill try get in later. How come your asking? Is there dodgy ones?
sillyquestions?
Wait, i think you mean the prophet 6 dont you?
sillyquestions?
01288 is my p6 serial!
Panason
Maybe he meant signal-to-noise ratio , lololol Rockin' Banana!
sillyquestions?
haha very frustrating applause nanners
sillyquestions?
How do you even calculate the signal to noise? haha thats hilarious I thought it was serial number.
dubonaire
sillyquestions? wrote:
How do you even calculate the signal to noise? haha thats hilarious I thought it was serial number.

Measure the sound level in db of just the noise with no note being played on the synth, then measure the sound level of the signal with a note playing. Subtract the noise db level from the signal db level.

But you don't actually need to do that. Just adjust the level of a signal from the synth to 0 db. And then turn off the note and see what level just the noise is. A high noise level might be say -30db on the meter. A low noise level might be -80db or lower on the meter. -100db would be very low and an excellent spec.

There could be a number of reasons why you are getting noise. Have a look at the frequency spectrum of the noise as well.
dubonaire
Here my Rev2 is going through a Soundcraft MTK22 into Ableton. You can see the level peaking at -6db when a note is being played, and then with no note being played. The noise is low. S/N is high enough that the noise is not noticeable.

sillyquestions?
Cool, thanks man. I think im just putting too much gain into my pre-amp and not paying much attention to gain staging. Sort of had a go there and there was definate results.

Im using the 12MTK and ive always had problems with it recording into ableton that high. Is this just merely as an example?
Rupert the not so great
sillyquestions? wrote:

This is funny... hihi applause It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1