MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jumbling ciat gear with ES-8/computer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Jumbling ciat gear with ES-8/computer
rodrigo
I had a quick search, but didn't turn up anything related to ciat stuff specifically, but basically I want to find out of there's some sort of jumbler/sanitizer for making it possible to send/receive CV/audio from ciat/banana/wooden gear (specifically Plumbutter, Rolzer, Deerhorn).

I've read that the brown jacks in particular send out big negative spikes that can potentially fry other euro modules. Is that also the case for something like an Expert Sleepers ES-8?

If so, is there some kind of limiting resistor or similar that can be used to bring the voltages down to "safe" levels?

Beyond the brown jacks, is it ok to plug in to everything else? (white outputs, CV I/O etc...)
rodrigo
Ok, I found some good info in these threads:

Voltage readings from @Setherian:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116667&highlight=

Solid info from @pugix:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147562&highlight=
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193151&highlight=

@pugix mentions something about having a 10k resistor in series when sending CV *into* the CL stuff, which is good to know. Can probably just build something like that into a DIY jumbler.

Beyond the fact that the browns are negative and "fishy", I didn't turn up anything on potentially cleaning them up for CV use elsewhere. Since it's just a transistor connection there, are there some components that can be added to the output to clean them up for safe usage elsewhere?

In terms of rolz (either on the PB or a Rolzer), I suppose I can just tape into the orange jacks, and leave the browns alone, or as I read in one of the threads (can't find who/where now), but that if you want to take CV out from a rolz, to tape into an orange, and if you want to send CV in, to use the blue jacks (on a PB, not rolzer obviously).
mrbloor
My understanding with browns was that because they are input & output then careful patching from hot outputs, not that they might damage the inputs of other things. I'm often wrong though ;-).

This explains a lot Rolzer
rodrigo
Ah interesting, hmmm.

I think I might end up making some banana->euro cables with 10k resistors inside (as per @pugix's suggestion), and then slowly/carefully experiment.
mrbloor
rodrigo wrote:
Ah interesting, hmmm.

I think I might end up making some banana->euro cables with 10k resistors inside (as per @pugix's suggestion), and then slowly/carefully experiment.

The true spirit of Ciat Lonbarde.
ookrsia
rodrigo wrote:

@pugix mentions something about having a 10k resistor in series when sending CV *into* the CL stuff, which is good to know. Can probably just build something like that into a DIY jumbler.

Just to confirm: running the signal through an attenuator before it gets to any CL gear does the same trick, right?

Thanks for an interesting topic!
rodrigo
Hmm, I suppose so, though he mentioned something about current/impedances so maybe a straight resistor does something different than an (active) attenuator?

For my purposes in-line cables would be better since I don't have that many attenuators in my rack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1