MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1 MIDI in to: one per channel multi MIDI outs box ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author 1 MIDI in to: one per channel multi MIDI outs box ?
Plattform
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little box that could split my midi input into independant midi outputs, one per channel. Like this :

MIDI in 1:
-> Channel 1 to MIDI out 1 (all channels)
-> Channel 2 to MIDI out 2 (all channels)
-> Channel 3 to MIDI out 3 (all channels)
-> Channel 4 to MIDI out 4 (all channels)...

So this is not a thru box I'm looking for (or one that can do this aswell maybe)

The idea is to have one keyboard controling different analog synths each one being a channel, so when you play chords, each synths plays a different note for this chords, and when you play a melody, evey next note you play will change the synths that plays aswell.

It is quite hard to explain in a simple way I hope you got the idea !

For now I don't think such a thing exist...
Muzone
Mutable Instruments MIDIpal does this, but is discontinued unfortunately....
Plattform
The MIDIpal is the closest thing I've found yes, but has only one MIDI out, I would need at least 4...
Muzone
MIDI Pal into a MIDI thru box would work maybe?
Plattform
well a Midi thru box will just duplicate the same midi signal so it wouldn't work

all the synths will play the same thing
Muzone
Yes, but if the signal goes first to the MIDI Pal then to the Thru box won't it be duplicating the already assigned notes/channel?
I'm not sure - it's above my level of MIDI-Fu.....
JohnLRice
Just an FYI to maybe help in describing what you are looking for to others (assuming that I've actually understood what you are looking for! hihi ) but it's not what you need for your setup. The Vermona PerFOURmer is a 4 voice synth that has several different modes and some of them rotate the voice allocation with each new MIDI note received. You can see this happening in this person's video:

Now, this might not be what you need either but take a close look at the Future Retro Zillion, it has some really powerful tools for controlling output to MIDI channels but I'm not sure if those would be usable from a keyboard etc:
http://www.future-retro.com/pdf/zillionmanual.pdf
Watch this video starting at 15:00

Also this thread may be of interest?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43919
At the end of the thread the Monome Norns is mentioned that is a scriptable box that might be able to do what you want?
https://monome.org/norns/
umma gumma
Plattform wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little box that could split my midi input into independant midi outputs, one per channel. Like this :

MIDI in 1:
-> Channel 1 to MIDI out 1 (all channels)
-> Channel 2 to MIDI out 2 (all channels)
-> Channel 3 to MIDI out 3 (all channels)
-> Channel 4 to MIDI out 4 (all channels)...

So this is not a thru box I'm looking for (or one that can do this aswell maybe)

The idea is to have one keyboard controling different analog synths each one being a channel, so when you play chords, each synths plays a different note for this chords, and when you play a melody, evey next note you play will change the synths that plays aswell.

It is quite hard to explain in a simple way I hope you got the idea !

For now I don't think such a thing exist...

I have been using a midibro + motu 6 channel midi splitter to do exactly this

midibro has several options for the note priority/chaining etc

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/midibro/

see: "Dispatcher: Play a rack of monophonic synths like a polysynth. The Midibro will automatically route each note of a chord to a different MIDI channel."
Plattform
Thanks for your post JohnLRice, yep the idea is the same than this "mode" on the vermona ! But with seperate synths.

the Future Retro Zillion is interesting, but I really need at least 4 midi DIN outputs...

umma gumma, yes this box seems to be what I need, there is just an important detail that is missing, it's the independant Midi DIN outputs per channel...

What is the motu 6 channel midi splitter ? I don't find anything on internet, but it could be what I need if it can take one midi din input and split (note clone all) its channels into seperate midi din outputs !
JohnLRice
Plattform wrote:

the Future Retro Zillion is interesting, but I really need at least 4 midi DIN outputs...

umma gumma, yes this box seems to be what I need, there is just an important detail that is missing, it's the independant Midi DIN outputs per channel...

What is the motu 6 channel midi splitter ? I don't find anything on internet, but it could be what I need if it can take one midi din input and split (note clone all) its channels into seperate midi din outputs !
I think what ever you find to do the channel/note rotating will likely only have one out and then you'll need another box to distribute it? Before I first posted I was going to suggest just a MOTU MIDI Express XT because of all it's powerful mapping features but I don't think it can do exactly what you want by itself?
http://motu.com/products/midi/xpressxt_usb
umma gumma may be referring to one of the smaller versions,maybe:
http://motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb
Plattform
I already have a Miditech Midiface 4x4, But it needs a computer to work, and a DAW to split the channels before (wich I do, and it's great !)
But here I don't want the computer involved in this configuration, that is why it is a bit complicated haha

Yes I think I will need two boxes.

With just the MIDIpal or MIDIbro, I would need to be able to change the midi input channel of each synths, and they would all need a midi thru aswell... two of them have this, but not the others...
Plattform
Muzone, the thru box will only take what is in it's input, and duplicate/clone it and send it to the midi ouputs, so all the synths will receive the same info wich is not what I need for this configuration
Muzone
There's a new box going into crowdfunding early 2019 - looks like it may do what you want?
https://blokas.io/midihub/
umma gumma
yes I am using a MOTU Micro Express, it has 6 outs

actually my stuff is all disconnected right now: am in the middle of reorganizing. But the midibro feeds the notes to the MOTU, and the MOTU sends to each synth a different note. no messing with individual synth midi channels needed, they are all using ch1 AFAIK
Plattform
Thanks Muzone, it seems to be the perfect box ! I'm going to follow that project really closely !

umma gumma, this configuration seems pretty cool, so it's like this:

any midi keyboard midi out -> midibro in

midibro out -> Motu In (just one of the 4 ins)

and then the Motu is automatically splitting the midi in channel one into midi out 1, channel 2 into midi out 2 ... ? There will need some settings to do this no ? How is it possible if they're all on channel one ?
EDIT: the synths are on channel one, my bad !

and Motu out 1 -> synth 1 / Motu out 2 -> synth 2 / Motu out 3 -> synth 3...
umma gumma
yep, that's it

I guess since the midibro is distributing the voices to each midi channel, the motu just feeds to each synth ( 1-6 ) on ch1

it was a while ago I configured it, but that I *believe* is how it's working. there are a lot of routing possibilities using the motu software; you may be able to do more elaborate stuff?
Plattform
Okay well I contacted the guys from this : https://blokas.io/midihub/ explaining my needs, to know if this is possible with their Midihub.
So basicly I said that:

"I'd like to do a configuration with 4 analog synths and one midi keyboard to do that: Play chords and dispatch the notes to different synths or play a melody, and when I play the next note, it's played by the next synth each time. Is it possible to do this:

- Keyboard Midi out (all channels) -> Midihub midi In port A

- Midihub splitting the voices (1st part*): channel 1 to midi out port A (channel 1) / channel 2 to midi out port B (channel 1) / channel 3 to midi out port C (channel 1) / channel 4 to midi out port D (channel 1)

* - And if I can't make my midi keyboard to limit its midi channels to 4, do that in addition to the (1st part*) :
- Midihub splitting the voices (part 2): channel 5 to midi out port A (channel 1) / channel 6 to midi out port B (channel 1) / channel 7 to midi out port C (channel 1) / channel 8 to midi out port D (channel 1) and keep the loop going like this ?"

It is long and need some concentration to be understood, but I think this is the best and more precise way to explain what I need here.

I'll keep you inform when I get an answer, and if this is not possible I will look closer on the MIDIbro / Motu configuration.
Sandrine
This could be done easily with an Arduino Atmega 2560 and some modified MIDI software. The Atmega has 4 USARTs thus could drive 4 MIDI outs.
I don't think there's any pre-made shields for 4 MIDI outs but breadboarding 4 singles would work so you'd need 5 of these:
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/SparkFun/BOB-09118?qs=WyAARYrbSnZE XFnzRWwZ4Q%3D%3D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImc3q7r_P3wIVwh-tBh3irQiGEAQYASABEgJ c5PD_BwE

I guess the scheme on which notes to what output would have to be first come first served, but an array of past notes went to which output could be checked for proximity to get more consistency i.e.

note 36 went to out2 note 27 went to out3 note 31 went to out4 so in a new chord of 24, 27, 32, & 35 (in order struck) the note 27 would go to out-3 again and note 35 would go to out-2 because it is close to note 36, while note 32 would go to out-4 because it is close to note 31.
Singles notes played would always go to out-1 which in this case would be note 24

It would be an even more interesting algorithm if ranges priorities were thrown in for the first note i.e. lower notes always go toward midi out 1 if first note struck, while higher notes always go toward midi out 4

Cheers!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1