MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oscillators Leaking When Unpatched……In a Different Case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Oscillators Leaking When Unpatched……In a Different Case
jsheaucsb
Have any of you ever experienced this? My 200e case has always been a bit noisy, so this year, I decided to put all non-e modules in a separate case.

I have a 24wls with all "e" modules [save for a 288v]. And I now have a 18wls which contains, among others, a 262v. The boats are grounded to each other with a banana cable.

What's strange is when I sweep the fundamental pitch knob of the 262v, there is a faint but definitive leak in the 24wls master audio out [a 227e]. Even when I disconnect the banana ground, the leak is still present.

I'm at a loss. How can a module with no audio jacks connected leak sound into a physically different case?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

Thanks for reading!
darcmorcel
I just read this today; not Buchla related but still might be a hint :

http://www.serge-fans.com/wizardry.htm

See the "General Wizardry and Things I found out the hard way" part of the page.
jsheaucsb
darcmorcel

Thanks for the link! Very interesting……could definitely be what's going on.[/b]
djs
Just for clarification- both cases are on the same power supply, correct? how are they connected to that power supply?
jsheaucsb
Each case has its own power brick. They were both connected to a Monster Power conditioner at the studio. I tried moving them both to a Furman unit in the studio and it made no difference.

I also tried placing the 262v in the middle and lower boats (it currently resides in the top most boat) and, again no change.

The Serge article is good food for thought. I tried using the tinijax outputs on the 227e by connecting them to an ES-8 (expert sleepers euro module) that connects via ADAT to my computer. The bleed was still there.

hmmm.....
djs
What if you move the cases to completely separate house circuits (different breakers, different rooms)... still interference?
jsheaucsb
Thanks djs!

This test has provided some insight. In a different room on a different breaker, there's no interference. In the same room on a separate circuit., there's no interference.

In fact, if all cables are unplugged AND the ground banana connecting the two cases is unplugged, there's no interference.

There's only bleed if a Tinijax cable or banana cable is connecting the two cases. I always thought that the black connector in the back of the case is supposed to ground one case to the other. Am I wrong?

Still, its curious that only the 262v leaks when any cable is connected between the 2 cases [even when it itself isn't connected by a cable]
djs
jsheaucsb wrote:

Still, its curious that only the 262v leaks when any cable is connected between the 2 cases [even when it itself isn't connected by a cable]

My bet is that the 262v is leaking through the ground. Grounding the two cases together via the banana jack isn't likely to fix this..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1