MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boss ME-5M Old Skool Multi Effects Unit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Boss ME-5M Old Skool Multi Effects Unit
Chevron87
I can say this now that I recently bought one for very little money, but have you guys checked out this unit? They go for very little and you get 4/5 classic Boss pedals in one unit and you can save settings!
Homepage Englisch
I bought ME-8 recently (for cheaper than 80% of any of mine pedal effects) and I absolutely love it. Half of the circuitry is analog, sounds are gorgeous, it was a game-changer. It inspires me to make music.
Chevron87
Awesome! The Me-8 looks like a bargain, I've just looked on Ebay UK a few of gone for around £70. Crazy considering what you get!

Are you hooking up complex effects set ups or do you use single pedal types?
Homepage Englisch
Chevron87 wrote:
Awesome! The Me-8 looks like a bargain, I've just looked on Ebay UK a few of gone for around £70. Crazy considering what you get!

Are you hooking up complex effects set ups or do you use single pedal types?

Sometimes I just turn on distortion, phaser and a bit of reverb and noodle away pentatonic scales pretending to be a rock star.

Most of the times, though, I try to create unusual and complex patches. So far I managed to get organ, harmonica, Andean pipes, Kraftwerk-style synth pads and crazy abstract sounds.

I think all of the old blue "ME" series sound great. Yours have knobs, mine digital interface with those cumbersome up down left right buttons. Resolution is not great, but there's still a universe of sounds to explore. 3 months since the purchase and our honeymoon is not over yet. 50 user presets, almost all used now.

Sorry I'm getting carried away, but I have to say how content I am. Those distortions and overdrives are...I know the word "organic" is overused, but I would without shame share the stage with Warren Ellis or PJ Harvey with this thing. Parametric equalizer, epic phasers and flangers, tremolo, ring modulator, compressor (I finally learned how to use one!). Reverbs and delay are digital but very decent (can do Karplus-Strong). All LFOs tempo-synced. Pitch shifter/harmonizer not the best, but fun tool to explore.

In a word, worthy of getting. I wrote half a dozen new songs based around my presets. And I haven't tried it with my modular yet!
Chevron87
I don't mind the concept of digital control cursor buttons to control pedal parameter, in fact for a unit with so many effects in it does make a lot of sense.

I am curious about the pitch and harmoniser stuff, I actually like lo-fi harmonizers so I can imagine the options would be a lot of fun.
mbauer
Great unit. Have and love the Boss SE 50 and 70 half rack units as well that go for peanuts.
Chevron87
The Boss SE 50 is another very cool effects unit that I used to use a lot in the early 2000s for line level stuff. Does it take a guitar level input or would be people mostly be using it in the effects loop?
mbauer
You would want it for mostly effects loop. It doesn't have any amp modeling like a zoom 9030 does. Here's a list of it's fx https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowledge_base/201948229/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1