MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How come Reaktor blocks sounds so darn good!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author How come Reaktor blocks sounds so darn good!?
The Space Disco
Been thinking, how come Reaktor blocks sounds so incredible good!? Compare to "others" stuff that sounds amazingly good I still always think Reaktor just a little further - all the time. How come? Is there some hidden oversampling going on or secret ingredients!?

Sorry for not understanding, but would love some technical insight(s)... There must be something going on... Russia? Guinness ftw!

Love!

/Space
Chevron87
I can't shed any light on the reasons why, but I agree Reaktor Blocks (and Reaktor in general) sounds very good.
colb
The Space Disco wrote:
Been thinking, how come Reaktor blocks sounds so incredible good!? Compare to "others" stuff that sounds amazingly good I still always think Reaktor just a little further - all the time. How come? Is there some hidden oversampling going on or secret ingredients!?

Sorry for not understanding, but would love some technical insight(s)... There must be something going on... Russia? Guinness ftw!

Love!

/Space

They sound good because they are developed by engineers why are REALLY good at what they do!

Most of the Blocks stuff is developed in Reaktor core, and apart from a very few exceptions, all the code is open and browsable, so you can read through it and see for yourself. For the most part, the oscillators use polyBleps for alias reduction, and the filters are 'ZDF' models of varying complexity. Some Blocks use 2x oversampling to further improve aliasing reduction. And of course you can set extra levels of oversampling on the main Reaktor interface.
On top of that, there seems to be a level of tuning and tweaking of parameters, and sometimes modding of the library components to achieve the extra magic.
But as I say, it's all there for you to read through!

Exceptions being the Monark filter macro which is locked, and the Driver macro which is also locked, I guess because these are both derived from full price NI products and have extra special DSP voodoo that they want to keep secret.
The Space Disco
Appreciate the response... never heard of polybleps before.
mritenburg
NI publishes a bunch of scientific/engineering articles on their DSP behind Reaktor. You might enjoy these, most of this goes way over my head:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor -6/dsp-articles/
The Space Disco
Kool, thanks for that... yeah some heavy shish... bet its useful thou.
Chevron87
mritenburg wrote:
NI publishes a bunch of scientific/engineering articles on their DSP behind Reaktor. You might enjoy these, most of this goes way over my head:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor -6/dsp-articles/

Great thanks for posting!
tuttlerecall
mritenburg wrote:

these are great. i had no idea they posted these. thanks.
mt3
j_dowe
do you think it sounds better than Softube Modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1