MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES1 and presonus digmax FS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES1 and presonus digmax FS
Weston Underwood
Hi Os,

I've tried for two days! Help.

To start with I just plugged it all in . Used AC encoder. Could only calibrate about 1 octave. I then measured the voltages and they were low so calibration here we come.

Now a couple of questions. I want to use it for both LFO duties etc and pitch. Should I use bipolar or monopolar? What are the pro's and con's of each?

Second I tried to follow the instructions. Measure the voltage between pin 1 of resistor pack 2 and what? I picked the tip end of the socket? Is that correct?

when setting up the DC offset which mode should I have AC encoder in? If I choose bipolar then obviously the dc offset for the rest of the channels is wrong until I set setup a channel with ac encoder set up for each of them (by 2.5V?!)

Sorry to be a pain. My electronics A level was 25 years ago and I've not thought about any electronics since then!

Ta in advance

Weston
os
Bipolar is generally more useful, but the downside is that you use up half your voltage range on negative voltages. If you're struggling for voltage, that might be bad.

Sounds like you're getting a very low voltage from your audio interface. What is it?

Quote:
Measure the voltage between pin 1 of resistor pack 2 and what?

Ground. Easiest place is probably the shield connection on any of the output jacks.

Quote:
when setting up the DC offset which mode should I have AC encoder in?

If you're shooting for bipolar operation, put it in bipolar mode.

Since you have such low voltage, the easiest setup is probably:
- unipolar: just turn the gain pots fully counter-clockwise.
- bipolar: turn the gain pots fully counter-clockwise, then with the AC Encoder outputting its signal for bipolar zero, adjust the DC offset to bring the output voltage to zero.
Weston Underwood
Presonus Digimax FS

Actually I could get decent + & -ve voltages +/-10v with the gain turned all the way up. What I wasn't sure about was when to zero. i.e. with dc plug in engaged and ac converter on or off, bipolar or unipolar.

Is the shield connector the same as the sleeve?

I did give it an initial calibrate using a best guess and I did have it running and calibrated with a reasonable octave range, although the calibration line wasn't a straight line and had some serious dips at the lower end of the scale. But the notes a were a bit wobbly and it suddenly stopped working.

As for the wobbly sound when I did have it running, will it matter that it's a didgmax running over ADAT via a MOTU? I don't like things too simple.

I'll have another go later.
os
Quote:
Presonus Digimax FS

Ah yes, you said that in the subject line oops

Quote:
Is the shield connector the same as the sleeve?

Yes.

Quote:
As for the wobbly sound when I did have it running, will it matter that it's a didgmax running over ADAT via a MOTU? I don't like things too simple.

No, that shouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
Actually I could get decent + & -ve voltages +/-10v with the gain turned all the way up. What I wasn't sure about was when to zero. i.e. with dc plug in engaged and ac converter on or off, bipolar or unipolar.

OK. Don't apply more gain than you need, or you'll be amplifying any noise etc. in the system.

If you're measuring the output voltage, trim it for zero when the AC Encoder is enabled, and if you want bipolar outputs, have the AC Encoder in bipolar mode. Adjust the gain to the right ballpark figure (with DC plug-in sending +1), set the DC offset for zero (with DC plug-in sending 0), then trim the gain to get a more accurate zero (with DC plug-in sending 0). Then trim the gain of all the other channels for a correct zero.
Weston Underwood
I've a feeling this is going to take a very long time!

I've got SW DC running on zero. I've SW AC bipolar enabled.

Measured dc offset of zero between pin 1 RN2 and sleeve. Interestingly at zero 2.5v between tip and sleeve?

Then put +1v through dc -> Then where do I measure?

I tried tip/sleeve and got +5v at 1.0v on dc. 0v t/s at 0v on dc and 0v at -1v on dc.

So then I tried the alternate calibration method of set zero dc offset. Set gain to+10v. Reset dc offset to zero. At tip to sleeve I get +5.34v to -4.5v.

But when I try to calibrate I get a tiny range, maybe 1 octave and all of the notes are oscillating. And the gate stays +ve and the note continues to ring.

Seems to get a different calibration each time.

???
os
If you have +5.34v to -4.5v on the outputs, then that's pretty good. So the remaining issue is the calibration.

Check your routings in the DAW. Quite often people seem to manage to route audio out of the same channel that's outputting the CVs, which is bad. Similarly, make sure it's only the synth you're trying to calibrate that's coming into the Voice Controller's input.
Weston Underwood
Out of interest I take it that tip/sleeve is the correct measurement.
os
The sleeve is at ground, so the terms "the voltage at the tip" and "the voltage between tip and sleeve" are equivalent.

When I refer to output voltages, I'm referring to the voltage at the tip.
Weston Underwood
Found problem!

Voltage issue on the case it was sat in. There was an intermittent problem with the -12v rail and that was changing the output voltages.

Now solved! Thanks Os.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1