MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patching Eurorack to Motu ultralite Mk3 (Too Many Audio Inp)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Patching Eurorack to Motu ultralite Mk3 (Too Many Audio Inp)
Steverido
Hey Guys, I have written this post here because it relates to my Eurorack. Feel free to move if I am incorrect. hihi

I am sure that my issue is common and my online research suggests that there is no such solutions.

I have run out of audio inputs from my Eurorack and hardware gear and currently have to unplug a device and plug another in to enable me to work with my various tools. I have a template in Ableton which also means that I have to reconfigure that before I start trying to produce. This kills my creativity immediately.

Is there a solution to have two 6.35mm jacks with one singular 6.35mm
output that can feed into my Motu ultralite?

I think that the only way is to buy another Mackie mixer so that cabling goes into that first and then into the Motu Ultralite and then out of that into another mixer which feeds my usual audio inputs like PC and then out to Monitors.

This surely is a common problem for people in studios.

Merry Christmas all.
seychmar
There are many ways to tackle this situation, but you are right, a mixer is the easiest way. The first thing to determine is exactly how many inputs you need, as this will dictate the size of the mixer. I will use a Behringer X-air xr18 (the one I use) as an example but you could use any other mixer. The idea is to use an external mixer as a submixer before hitting your audio interface.

The x-air has 16 main inputs, so you could connect up to 16 inputs from your modular. Each channel can be set up as you like with compression, eq etc. This is another advantage as the mixer allows you to shape the sound, take out hiss or hum, etc.

The XR18 has 6 aux outs and 2 main outs. Connect the 6 aux outs to the MOTU’s inputs 3-8. This allows you to record groups or even individual tracks from the modular separately by bussing these groups to XR18 aux outputs 1-6. This allows you to add effects in the DAW, mix in the box, etc.

For monitoring from the DAW, just use the MOTU’s main outputs. You may need to set up the MOTU to make sure your main outputs are only receiving the master signal from the DAW.

There are many other ways to achieve the same result. This is just the one I use. Happy recording!
Be Sandy?
Another possibility is to use an analogue to spdif convertor to give you two extra input channels for your modular synth on the Motu.
This is a cheap one (there are loads of others):
https://www.thomann.de/ie/swissonic_converter_ad_24_192.htm

Quote:
I think that the only way is to buy another Mackie mixer so that cabling goes into that first and then into the Motu Ultralite and then out of that into another mixer which feeds my usual audio inputs like PC and then out to Monitors.

You shouldn't need two mixers if you go that route. One mixer in front of the Motu to expand inputs that way then connect the Motu directly to your PC via the USB connection.
Steverido
seychmar wrote:
There are many ways to tackle this situation, but you are right, a mixer is the easiest way. The first thing to determine is exactly how many inputs you need, as this will dictate the size of the mixer. I will use a Behringer X-air xr18 (the one I use) as an example but you could use any other mixer. The idea is to use an external mixer as a submixer before hitting your audio interface.

The x-air has 16 main inputs, so you could connect up to 16 inputs from your modular. Each channel can be set up as you like with compression, eq etc. This is another advantage as the mixer allows you to shape the sound, take out hiss or hum, etc.

The XR18 has 6 aux outs and 2 main outs. Connect the 6 aux outs to the MOTU’s inputs 3-8. This allows you to record groups or even individual tracks from the modular separately by bussing these groups to XR18 aux outputs 1-6. This allows you to add effects in the DAW, mix in the box, etc.

For monitoring from the DAW, just use the MOTU’s main outputs. You may need to set up the MOTU to make sure your main outputs are only receiving the master signal from the DAW.

There are many other ways to achieve the same result. This is just the one I use. Happy recording!

Thanks, I will look at this option.
Steverido
Be Sandy? wrote:
Another possibility is to use an analogue to spdif convertor to give you two extra input channels for your modular synth on the Motu.

Quote:

You shouldn't need two mixers if you go that route. One mixer in front of the Motu to expand inputs that way then connect the Motu directly to your PC via the USB connection.

Could be a great option. Thanks.
Steverido
Be Sandy? wrote:

Quote:

Could be a great option. Thanks.
DeepSeaDriver
I mean, what you're describing, 2 inputs and 1 output is literally a mixer, so there's that.
If that's all you want, small mixers in your eurorack rig work just fine, and you can get a few for cheap, like the bastl abc, which can function as two separate 3 in 1 out mixers.
You can also get a Line Mixer rather than a full sized desk mixer if you don't want/need any eq or preamps.
The other option is a patchbay, will would still involve plugging and unplugging cables, but you can leave what you use the most set up statically (normalled) and then patch in anything you want to change right from the front, without having to move and fiddle around with the back of your motu and long cables
Agawell
another option would be to add another audio interface - for example an es8, or another motu

both win10 and macOS support using multiple audio interfaces
Shledge
Agawell wrote:

both win10 and macOS support using multiple audio interfaces

Not for ASIO.
Agawell
isn't that what asio4all does???
Shledge
Asio4all isn't really ASIO. It won't match the performance of a dedicated ASIO driver.
Agawell
well the OP could always try it and see (borrow a 2nd interface etc) before committing to anything

might work for them
Shledge
Pretty sure you can just ADAT it for the same thing
Agawell
that's what I thought too but couldn't see ADAT I/O when I looked up the ultralite mk3 - just looked again and no there's no adat on the mk3 - but it looks like you can chain them (if you use firewire)

from the ultralite mk2 manual:

Connecting other MOTU FireWire interfaces
You can add an original MOTU 828 to the end of a
FireWire daisy chain (because the 828 has only one
FireWire port), or you can mix and match multiple
UltraLites with other MOTU FireWire interfaces
using a standard FireWire hub. You can also add
828mkIIs, 828mk3s, 896HDs, 896mk3s, Travelers
and UltraLites, which have two FireWire ports
convenient for daisy-chaining. Up to four
interfaces can be combined on one FireWire bus.

so you could get an older, used, ultralite - I think they're pretty cheap - and go: pc -> ultralite -> ultralite mk3 which would add another 8 channels

I think the ultralite software handles this so even in ASIO they appear as a single interface - but I might be wrong
Steverido
Thanks for all of your input gents.

I ended up part exchanging my Motu MK3 for a Motu Pre8. I also bought the Behringher ADA8200.

Perfect solution. My DRM1 goes into the ADA8200 and my modular and other synth goes into the Motu. I now have 3 spare inputs too.

applause
Agawell
how are you finding the behringher ada8200?

I'm considering this to expand my es8
Steverido
Agawell wrote:
how are you finding the behringher ada8200?

I'm considering this to expand my es8

Really well so far. Plug and play. Had to switch on ADAT in the Motu audio settings and away it went.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1