Tap Tempo

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Tap Tempo

Post by MrDys » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 pm

So, let's say I have a delay pedal that has tap tempo capabilities. Instead of tapping, I want that tap to come from a CV source. Am I correct in thinking that I can just wire up a jack to the tap switch terminals (which will short upon an incoming CV signal) to get a CV-controlled tempo delay?

Or is it much more complicated than that?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Totally depends upon how it is implemented in that particular product. What product are you speaking of?

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Boss RE-20. This is all theoretical; I don't own any outboard effects, but the way I work is trending towards that direction. I'm open to other delays. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a quick and dirty DIY way to do what I want.

All else fails, I can stay in the modular realm and go with a Modcan Digital Delay (which already has CV tempo) + some sort of FX insert module (like the Stilton Adapter, or Doepfer's).

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:41 am

To be certain that it would work, I'd need to see a schematic or the unit itself.

I downloaded the OM (Owner's Manual) and there is a foot-pedal input on the back of the unit that will control Intensity & Repeats. I'd bet that you could hit this with around +3 through +5VDC although I'm not sure if this input would respond to clock pulses & lock to that tempo.

You could always measure (or obtain a schematic) in order to see if what kind of voltage is used to trigger the tap-tempo on the right-most pedal. Once you've got that, you've got the keys to the universe.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 am

You'd probably need to use some sort of electronic switch such as the CD4016 or 4066 (Quad CMOS SPDT analogue switch). Your CV/trig input controls the closing of that switch rather than actually going to the RC20's circuit. You may need a bit of conditioning on the input control, but that'd depend on the exact setup...

Return to “Music Tech DIY”