MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiring a breakout cable for a 200e system to 218e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Wiring a breakout cable for a 200e system to 218e
rkilman
I know just enough to get myself into trouble so want to check with more DIY savvy folks here before I do anything....I'm thinking of putting my 218e in a custom enclosure and attaching the seven wires that currently go to the EDAC connector to a 7 pin din connector. Then using a 7 pin din cable to go to my 200e cabinet, where i'll have another 7 pin din connecter wired to the EDAC connector, plugged into one of the 200e's power/bus boards. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Any issues with the din cable being 10 or 25ft long? Thanks!

rkilman
Anyone?
sempervirent
Should work, good idea to make the cable removable.

Electrical resistance increases with cable length and the wires are of a relatively small gauge already. So if you're concerned about the longer cable run, you could wire up your EDAC-to-DIN cable first, then check the voltage with DIN cables of the length that you want to use and make sure you're not seeing excessive voltage drop.

If everything's good you could take the next step and change the 218e connector.

Post some pics if you move forward, curious to see what enclosure you would use for the 218e. Maybe a shallow "skiff" like the LEM218 minus the extra ports that you don't need?
rkilman
sempervirent wrote:
Should work, good idea to make the cable removable.

Electrical resistance increases with cable length and the wires are of a relatively small gauge already. So if you're concerned about the longer cable run, you could wire up your EDAC-to-DIN cable first, then check the voltage with DIN cables of the length that you want to use and make sure you're not seeing excessive voltage drop.

If everything's good you could take the next step and change the 218e connector.

Post some pics if you move forward, curious to see what enclosure you would use for the 218e. Maybe a shallow "skiff" like the LEM218 minus the extra ports that you don't need?

Thanks! I going to order parts tonight and will post some pics when done. Going to use this for the enclosure...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T573ZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smi d=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

A little deeper than I'd probably prefer, but can't beat the price.
Drillionaire
If you're using this in a 200e system, and after doing the mod you notice your preset manager locking up, it might be worth disconnecting the yellow and green wires from your extension. The I2C bus doesn't like long cable runs.
rkilman
Drillionaire wrote:
If you're using this in a 200e system, and after doing the mod you notice your preset manager locking up, it might be worth disconnecting the yellow and green wires from your extension. The I2C bus doesn't like long cable runs.

Ah, good to know, thank you! I will be using it in a 200e system and want to use the I2C bus with the 218e. If I experience issues, I'll know to try a shorter cable, and if that doesn't work, abandon the project or the hope of using the I2C bus.
dougcl
rkilman wrote:

Ah, good to know, thank you! I will be using it in a 200e system and want to use the I2C bus with the 218e. If I experience issues, I'll know to try a shorter cable, and if that doesn't work, abandon the project or the hope of using the I2C bus.

If you run into trouble, a bus repeater on one or both ends of the cable might help.
rkilman
dougcl wrote:
rkilman wrote:

If you run into trouble, a bus repeater on one or both ends of the cable might help.

Do you think it would work to drill holes in the bus repeaters card edge to wire to the 7-pin din jacks? That could be handy so I could leave the 218e stock, otherwise I plan on cutting it's cable to solder each end to a jack. PM me details on ordering if so, thanks!

Also, enclosure arrived...looks pretty slick:

The 218e is ever so slightly longer than the 17" case...which I presume is why they can flex a little in the middle if put in a 200e boat. Anyone have any suggestions for how to cleanly trim off one edge? I'm guessing sanding with a medium grit paper a little at a time until it fits perfectly.
Drillionaire
If you go the sanding route, I'd be very careful about the clear coat peeling up. I'm not sure of a good way to prevent this from happening. Once the clear coat starts peeling it spreads pretty easily, especially with the earlier produced units.
Possibly sealing the very edge of the keyboards where you sand with epoxy once you get it to length could prevent this from being an issue with use and wear/tear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1