MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best EQ plugin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Best EQ plugin
DT
Sounds like a noob question but what's your fav EQ plugin out there?

I use Logic Pro X, the built in one is quite good / simple

What about your go-to EQ?
UAD? Slate? FabFilter seems interesting with that "solo" button on the frequency you cutting / adding

Nice one and happy 2019 ya'll
jimfowler
If I have to use a plug-in eq it’s fabfilter.
ngarjuna
Acustica Pink for broad cuts and boosts: the combo of the included units (550a, 550b, 5500 & some vintage CAPI I barely use) and easy UI make it a quick way to get great sounding broad moves in a hurry. I mix for a living so I’m eq’ing pretty much all day long and Pink is my go to for sound and speed. The low shelves (killing proximity effect) and presence (3khz) are usually my biggest problem areas and Pink makes really fast work of those cuts while still sounding terrific.

TDR Nova for subtle cuts and boosts: if I have to get surgical with the Q or worry about blending I usually grab for Nova. The parallel action can keep things gentle while the UI and feature set make it easy to zero in on stuff and fix it with minimal intrusion. Has the solo per band, spectrum analyzer, dynamic eq. Very advanced and transparent.
ETA: somehow I neglected to mention that Nova is FREE!

Honorable mention to the Sie-Q from Soundtoys which is another great example of a great sounding EQ that makes very fast work of eq’ing.

One thing I’ve learned is that for me, when it comes to EQs, more features just get in the way more. It’s rare cases that require special features so I reserve my use of such devices for the cases where they’re needed.
Tunatoboggan
I really like the Sonnox EQ for 90% of use cases. Quick and clean, easier on the eyes than Avid EQ III

It doesn't have a spectrum analyzer though, so for that I like the Ozone EQ. You can do the fabfilter band solo thing too. Even lets you see the changes in phase, very handy
Chevron87
You have to try the Fabfilter Pro-Q3, for most EQ jobs it covers eveything and also very good for mastering Linear Phase mode. Plus all the extras like a good spectrum analyser, EQ match, tilt curve, extreme slopes, M & S, level match and now dynamic EQ as an option too..

I also really like the Brainworx EQ V3.

For more of an analog sound I really like the Softube E & K Series SSL.
martinjuenke
The EQs (LinearPhase, Vintage) in LogicPro are covering all you need. I would not buy something additional. The money can be used for something more useful...
cretaceousear
As a Reaper user I'm fine with the built in Cockos Eq for most things - I also use Nova sometimes.
Not mentioned yet is the free http://photosounder.com/splineeq/ SplineEQ by Photosound - lets you draw the curve with er.. splines.
It can do very sharp cuts and has a groovy colour based spectrum display - useful for surgical removals and nice to look at.
Linear phase if that's important to you. Free version is 4 band - paid for up to 60.
mritenburg
martinjuenke wrote:
The EQs (LinearPhase, Vintage) in LogicPro are covering all you need. I would not buy something additional. The money can be used for something more useful...

This is good advice. Knowing the difference between transparent (linear phase) and colored (vintage) EQ's and how to use them is more important than having any one "go to" EQ.
DT
mritenburg wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:

This is good advice. Knowing the difference between transparent (linear phase) and colored (vintage) EQ's and how to use them is more important than having any one "go to" EQ.

Both great advices.
Incredible I wasn't even aware of the Vintage EQ series in Logic!
Sometimes solution is under your nose.

Would be great if you could explain me difference between linear and colored?
Maybe linear is more suitable to "remove" frequency and vintage to "add"?
induktor
jimfowler wrote:
If I have to use a plug-in eq it’s fabfilter.

Agreed. For mastering I generally use my hardware EQ's but the Pro Q is great for surgical stuff. I've been using the Pro Q 2 for quite a while and just picked up version 3.
Panason
ngarjuna wrote:

One thing I’ve learned is that for me, when it comes to EQs, more features just get in the way more.

For me this ends up applying to all plugins. If I'm presented with a crapload of controls, tiny buttons (often unlabelled) , drop down menus, tabs, back panels etc... i end up simply not using that plugin.
Mantaray
I also like Fabfilter Pro Q, all the features and visual feedback make it indispensable.
chvad
Voxengo Gliss. It's basically the only EQ I use anymore.
Mantaray
chvad wrote:
Voxengo Gliss. It's basically the only EQ I use anymore.

This one slipped under my radar. Will check it out, looks very cool. Have you compared it to Fabfilter Pro Q 3 which also has dynamic EQ?
chvad
ive never used the fab eq so its hard to compare. i have the fab saturn and i think fab has the better GUI in some cases in general but under the hood... the voxengo stuff does a lot for me.
Chevron87
You know you most likely can do a lot with the Logic stock plug ins, and I am a big fan of using proprietary plug ins - but I find the tactile nature of Pro-Q3 and range of cool features makes the cost well worth it. It's also great that I can sue the same EQ across different DAWs.
TXBDan
Cubase has good channel strip EQs and even the FrequencyEQ (very FF Pro-Q-like) is solid, but i STILL got FF Pro Q because the UI is so good.

I like in Pro-Q3 how you can monitor the spectra of all the EQs in use and it highlights hotspots, etc.
tuttlerecall
I would recommend using a range depending on the use. I like using something like Fabfilter to strip away unwanted frequencies but also use something with analog emulation to add character.

Fabfilter like everyone has mentioned is a good choice for a modern surgical EQ, it has a very good interface.

Softube's tube tech and the sie-q in soundtoys is also great. These emulate different analog EQs.

DMG's EQuilibrium combines both of these in one plugin. You can mix and match different techniques with different analog emulations on each band if you like.
Chevron87
tuttlerecall wrote:
I would recommend using a range depending on the use. I like using something like Fabfilter to strip away unwanted frequencies but also use something with analog emulation to add character.

Fabfilter like everyone has mentioned is a good choice for a modern surgical EQ, it has a very good interface.

Softube's tube tech and the sie-q in soundtoys is also great. These emulate different analog EQs.

DMG's EQuilibrium combines both of these in one plugin. You can mix and match different techniques with different analog emulations on each band if you like.

Wise words. I use Fabfilter for cleaning up and shaping sounds, then more 'analog' style for adding character or weight, cripsness, bite etc
DJMaytag
Fabfilter Pro-Q and Maag EQ4 are my most used EQ’s.
josaka
no mention for the DMG Equlibrium... ?
sounds very close to my hardware..
Chevron87
There was a time when DMG Equlibrium was battling with Pro-Q V1 for users, I demoed both and came away with Pro-Q only because the interface seemed marginally more intuitive. I know there have been some updates sonce then on Equlibrium so I may revisit as I really like DMGs plug ins.
chiavere
DJMaytag wrote:
Fabfilter Pro-Q and Maag EQ4 are my most used EQ’s.

+1 to both of these - also my most used eq plugins. All the fabfilter stuff is great, super functional, and the best GUI in the business, for my taste.
CosmicFlight
DMG Audio Equick Miley Cyrus

https://dmgaudio.com/products_equick.php
Monotremata
Most of the time its the standard old stock Logic EQ for me. I can get away with very little subtractive EQ'ing in my own stuff because its mainly synth/sample based. I know where stuff is going to sit in the mix while Im writing it so I can just shape those tracks themselves with any filters/eqs they have. That way Im not wasting any precious CPU running a bunch of 'simple' high pass shelves or the giant -everything@400hz you use on drums and things like that. If I run out of bands on something, I have Fabfilter around. Its an amazing surgical tool.

If I ever boost with an EQ, I want something thats going to add color because I can just boost it the same way I cut things on the synth itself. I have the good old Waves Studio Classics. I usually grab the APIs, sometimes the SSLs. The V series hasn't really done anything for me so eh. Just tried Overloud's API 550 demo this morning and I might have to grab that. I only tried it on a couple of guitar tracks in a mix this morning but I liked it alot better than the Waves one.
pekbro
Toneboosters, Tokyo Dawn Labs and DDMF make some very good EQ's on the more affordable side of things. If you don't want to spring for the pricey stuff. thumbs up
motanero
+1 for Fabfilter Pro-Q3. So flexible and musical.
calaveras
martinjuenke wrote:

They are goo dEQs to be sure. I often turn to linear phase when I need a precise EQ with no magic fairy dust.

The Logic pro compressor, forget the name, but it's the one with Fet, Tube and other modes works really well.
That said, huge fan of UAD Neve plugins.
Even teh older ones have a nice way of warming stuff up and giving you some good harmonic enrichment, which sometimes our synths and drum machines lack. Especially softsynths!

This is also a workflow thing for me.
The linear phase EQ is a great example of too many options. All of the bands cover the entire audible frequency range, and can hit just about any combination of gain, Q and freq.

The 1081 on the other hand only has 4 bands, two of which are shelving. But it also has high and low cut filters. You have limited frequencies to work with as well.
That's my least limited EQ. The Helios, Trident and 1073 EQs all have less frequencies and less bands. This forces you to think about what you are EQing. And honestly, whether you need to EQ.
With plugins it is easy to just throw an EQ on every single channel. But sometimes the best approach is to not EQ things that already sound big. And EQ the less important things around that.

Basically, with the infinite choices of DAW land, I find I work faster with tools that limit my choices. It's a pleasant side effect that the UAD plugins sound good too.
WaveCollector
I'm not super well-versed in EQs, but I am also a fan of the Waves API 550 plugins
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 2