NEW AJH Synth Fixed Filter Bank 914

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

NEW AJH Synth Fixed Filter Bank 914

Post by ben_hex » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:22 am

Hello all, here's my video with the brand new AJH Synth Fixed Filter Bank 914. My favourite thing is the CV over dry/wet blend on the mix out (with option to have an entirely different "dry side") and left/right CV modulation too.

[video][/video]

"As you expect from anything AJH this sounds great. It takes a single input and gives us a huge range of tonal sculpting that can be spread across left and right bands creating a stereo image, you can take the ALL summed output or the mix output that allows crossfading between dry/wet and fading and modulating between the left and right bands. The Dry/Wet blend allows you to take a single input and re-balance the dry level to match the wet or even plug in a different sound to fade between processed wet sounds and something else entirely as the dry signal. The inbuilt feedback path is tapped from the mix output meaning any changes to dry/wet blend and the left/right blend control affects the feedback path too.

http://www.ajhsynth.com

TIMING INDEX / SECTIONS

00:12 Patch Previews

00:57 Features, what is it, verbal run down … stereo imaging, mixed out, feedback paths, second input to the dry/wet etc.

04:01 Sound demo - wave shaping, feedback, input drive and more

09:42 Ambient sound demo, basic shaping over full mixes

10:43 Adding animation, tonal sculpting and modulation over wavetable drones. Here we use different crossfader audio to merge wet affected sounds with different dry sources.

14:02 Shaping noise sources and percussion sounds and synthesis.

16:02 No input FEEDBACK … THIS IS ACE! I got lost in this and performed some music to release I was that excited.

20:52 Using the filter bank to process and influence FX feedback paths. This patch uses the Filter Bank to colour and shape the delay trails in a patch.

22:11 Shaping classic synth tones and synth riffs

23:49 Quick tonal exploration shaping drum beats

24:26 Modulating dry/wet and left/right blend for animated sounds."
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:36 am

I really like the sound of this module but imagine how amazing CV control of each of the bands would be? Do any similar filterbanks exist with CV control of each band?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Sounds amazing i defo need this in my rack, superb module actually, can't wait for it to drop!

Does sound fantastic though i really really love the tones and timbres Ben is able to get here i'm also wondering what vocals sound like through this type of filter bank did you try a vocal patch Ben?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm

skkatter wrote:I really like the sound of this module but imagine how amazing CV control of each of the bands would be? Do any similar filterbanks exist with CV control of each band?
Sort of: see Frap Tools Fumana and the Verbos Bark Filter.

Adding all that cv would make the module much larger and more expensive, but I’m not sure it would make it better.

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Nice overview video. I watched it at lunch.

FarmerPhilip
Common Wiggler

Post by FarmerPhilip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Yum. Nice ambient drone possibilities!

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sort of: see Frap Tools Fumana and the Verbos Bark Filter.

Adding all that cv would make the module much larger and more expensive, but I’m not sure it would make it better.
The triple band formant filter on the Fenix II works great with CV control for each of the three bands. This potentially would be even more fun with CV control of each band, I'd definitely pony up the extra cash for that kind of functionality.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:51 pm

got mine today.. I am very impressed by how insane good those inductors sound! (and i do have a serge resEQ/A-128/SMR)

+ the "modulation" add-ons are very useful ("morph" between two filter settings)

thanks AJH for this.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Great video, definitely sounds like an inductor FFB - wonder, is there any images online of the back of the module? Curious how they fit wound-inductor coils into a eurorack footprint.

Beautiful sound. Price is great, too - Easily half the cost of COTK or Synth-Werk 5U equivalent.

- Thank you, DivKid!
Last edited by EPTC on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

leitner6
Common Wiggler

Post by leitner6 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 pm

I dont think it uses inductors.

From the AJH web page:
“For the FFB 914 we have used Gyrator based active inductor circuitry which exactly replicates the vintage passive inductor / capacitor based filter design - this is an important design element, because a major difference between the two topologies is that the phase change versus frequency is lower with L/C filters compared to Sallen Key R/C filters. “

Anyone have a picture of her backside?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 am

yes, there are active inductors.
I use as end of chain a SPL Passeq with passive inductors and still, the 914 is supreme. The way it carves out frequencies is a delight.
(no, I paid for it and I usually don't praise products)
Low / High pass...just go and listen to it.
(the demo video didn't work for me to understand the sounds)
Is SMD on the back and will fit in a 4ms pod.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:39 am

pelang, i agree it sounds truly great! but to leitner6's point, are there coils on the back of the module? on the moog-sized inductor FFBs there's a coil (usually a round spindle of wire) for each frequency band.

example: viewtopic.php?t=180179
or in low-profile: viewtopic.php?t=143963
and in euro: viewtopic.php?t=116142

and i say that loving the sound of the ajh.
Last edited by EPTC on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm

EPTC wrote:pelang, are there coils on the back of the module?

no... or at least not to my knowledge

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm

pelang wrote:no... or at least not to my knowledge
Ah cool - That might explain the nicer cost on the thing (it's typically $300-$500 for inductors by themselves, as parts)

Sound is absolutely uncanny, though - Enjoy that beautiful module!
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word
Support the show: https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/spoken- ... sodes-1-10

This week's episode is on noise and fixed filter bank sound design for Eraserhead and 2001, A Space Odyssey:

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm

But where will I put it?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

LiftedTraces
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LiftedTraces » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:27 pm

lovely, I had an original for a while and this looks very promising!

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 pm

my serge resEQ uses Styroflex's and Burr-Brown Op-amps...the SPL passeq runs with 120V (they developed transistors for that) and 144 custom coils...
I don't know what kind of black magic ajh but in there 914 but to my ears, it sounds better than my resEQ/SPL.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:48 pm

pelang wrote:my serge resEQ uses Styroflex's and Burr-Brown Op-amps...the SPL passeq runs with 120V (they developed transistors for that) and 144 custom coils...
I don't know what kind of black magic ajh but in there 914 but to my ears, it sounds better than my resEQ/SPL.
Would be nice to compare with a passive inductor.

gridrunner
Common Wiggler

Post by gridrunner » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:34 am

Are any of these out in the field yet? I would love to hear some reviews. I'm curious if anyone has used one to process other instruments too.

rechner7
Common Wiggler

Post by rechner7 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm

i have to question to this exciting topic:
1) i have very general question regarding the choice of frequency values in fixed filterbanks:
the 914 is spaced with factor of sqrt(2) between two bands. there are other models like the cheap doepfer a128 with 3/2 (perect fifth) or bark scale on verbos ffb. I am just wondering if (and how) the spacing influences the tonal characteristic of a ffb? especially the 914 spacing should lead to a more resonant behavior if used with pure waveform like square or saws.. has anyone some insights to this topic?

2) and a last specific question to the ajh ffb914:
does the strength of the overall feedback decrease, if the mix wet/dry knob is turned counterclockwise (i.e. to a more dry mix)?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”