MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quadraphonic / Ambisonic / distribution platform?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Quadraphonic / Ambisonic / distribution platform?
ummo
Hello, I'm looking for a periphonic (quad, or ambisonic, or spatial sound) streaming service / distribution platform for my cassette tape label, BUIO (https://brud.bandcamp.com/)

We release quadraphonic and ambisonic cassette tapes.

I'm looking for a way to distribute/stream the quad/ambi tracks themselves, ala bandcamp, mixcloud et al. Do you know of any?

If there isn't one, I'm planning on building one myself. Is there a need for this for more than simply Buio?

In the "Production Techniques" subforum I have asked about if anyone knows ambisonic cassette tape producers. AFAIK, I haven't come across any, Buio seems to be the only one. If you know of any, please let me know, as I'm looking for similar practices.

If this is the wrong sub-forum, or there is a better one to post to, do tell me which one I should post this on.
chiavere
I would love to see this exist - I record and perform in quad a lot, and as far as I know the only “off the shelf” option is enabling download on SoundCloud tracks so people can download the originally uploaded quad file, but there is obviously no way to monetize that (for the artist, anyway - grrrr, SoundCloud)
ummo
Thanks chiavere.

Is anyone else interested in this? If so, I could seriously look into setting something up.

What specs are you looking at? Streaming? Or download only? FLAC?

Anything else?

Given the niche nature of this service, any thoughts/comments on how to finance it are welcome...
PrimateSynthesis
I would look for something that distributes 5.1
solaris
ummo wrote:

how the hell do you encode+decode ambisonics on a tape?

ages ago, probably around the last glacial era, I did a double cassette tape release conceived to be played simultaneously (on 4 loudspeakers) and thus producing "mesmerizing phantom-sound images and complex interference beats".
that wasn't exactly "easy listening".
chiavere
Well, there are a couple audiophile sites that sell hi-res multichannel filed for download, like HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds, but if you could make something that also streamed multichannel FLAC and/or WAV (I imagine bandwith would be an issue here) as well as sales like Bandcamp, that would be useful to this small (but growing, I suspect) niche of listeners and producers.
ummo
solaris wrote:
ummo wrote:

how the hell do you encode+decode ambisonics on a tape?

first order ambisonics is 4-channel sound. we use a computer running a Max/MSP ambisonics patch that reads in various sources (mostly modular, Ciat-Lonbarde) via a soundcard and outputs 4 channels.

this is fed to a 4-track cassette recorder that records onto all four tracks at once.

hope this makes sense.
similarly, for quadraphonic, we use an all-analog hardware quad panner made by karl ekdahl of knas music, the quad massager.

the same 4-track with 4 tape outputs serves as the playback device, going to 4 individual speakers.

hope this makes sense. there isn't any decoding going on once recorded onto cassette tape. the cassettes are thus "pre-panned", so to speak.
solaris
@ummo
so one (simply) needs a 4-track for playback.
but what's the difference between 1st order ambisonics and the other quad technique you are describing? seems the same thing.
secretkillerofnames
Not sure this helps but doesn't YouTube support Ambisonics?
It's mainly used for those panoramic 3D videos.

ps Praise )+(
ummo
@secretkillerofnames what do you mean "ps Praise )+("

@solaris
w.r.t how the final "product" is played, yes, they are similar
the difference lies in *how* the spatialization/panning was achieved

in the case of quad, we can have a fully analog, all-hardware panning/spatialization while with ambisonics computers are involved. this is significant especially for tapes of live performances.

e.g., i personally play all-analog modular synths, with no menus, screens, etc. ambisonics requires a computer, or a processor, at the minimum. this changes performativity.

not to mention, the original ambisonics paper called for tetrahedral speakers. which we (the art-entitiy i run, brud: https://brud.xyz) are currently building out.

brud will run rib (http://ribrib.nl) and radio juju till 2020, where we will be dealing with such issues, come say hi.
chiavere
secretkillerofnames wrote:
Not sure this helps but doesn't YouTube support Ambisonics?
It's mainly used for those panoramic 3D videos.

Yep, you can encode first order ambisonic B-format audio into 360 youtube (and facebook) videos, but they are meant for headphone playback, and also for directional audio if, for example, you are watching using a VR headset, and turn your head, your sonic perspective will also change. Youtube also allows a stereo "lock track," so you could have the directional audio but also have a voice-over or other sound locked to a specific spatial location.
zygurt
This is probably my biggest gripe with surround, is getting it to people in an easy way. Interesting about the 360 youtube videos. Do you have experience working with this? What's a good workflow?
peripatitis
Ambisonics is not a 4 channel format, you record 4 channels but you can decode it to as many channels you need and it seems that since with this technique you also record height you probably need 16 channels as a minimum.
You can decode to a binaural format of course, but you do not ambisonics to do that. .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1