MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Refinish beater guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Refinish beater guitar
calaveras
So I found a Les Paul style guitar in a trash can in Brooklyn.
It's mostly there. Missing the nut for the output jack and the pickup screws.
Found all those in my junk jar or at the ACE hardware.
So it's more or less functional.
Only problem is that it't this ugly brown bursted finish. Not my jam.
Any tips for cheap and quick refinish?
I've done this a few times previously and always kind of do a sloppy job.
Trying to do this one better.
drinkcorpsevomit
Cover it in aluminium foil and then a coat of clear varnish. Or cover it in leaves and a coat of clear varnish. Or cover it in bat excrement and a coat of clear varnish.

Really though, if you cant solve this one yourself without posting on a forum, maybe place the guitar back in the trash and become a real estate agent or something more rewarding. I'm sure it would result in a happier you.
calaveras
okay, how do YOU apply a clear coat of varnish. Do you use spray on, or brush on clear coat?
I've used both and the spray on is easier, but smells like cancer. Brush on requires more buffing and polishing, as well as turning into a goopy, running, bubble befouled mess too easily.

ps I do like the idea of aluminum foil and clear coat.
Revok
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:

Really though, if you cant solve this one yourself without posting on a forum, maybe place the guitar back in the trash and become a real estate agent or something more rewarding. I'm sure it would result in a happier you.

^Completely uncalled for.

calaveras, how "pro" do you want it to look? You could always go for a textured finish using rollers or hammered finish sprays to avoid the sanding/buffing process.
sduck
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:

That's a really shitty response. Grow up.

Refinishing involves removing the old finish first, which is the hard part of the job. Usually the best way is just lots of careful sanding, best done by hand to avoid removing too much of the actual wood. Wear eye and nose protection while doing this - the dust generated can be nasty. You can also probably get away with a random orbital sander. Some people advocate using a heat gun - I guess it depends on what kind of finish you have. There are tons of youtube vids about this - might be worth some research there.

Wish I had more practical advice - the one time I refinished a guitar it was a ton of work, and came out really badly. We didn't have the internet for practical advice back then, I was just winging it.
drift
https://www.inzaneskins.com/inzane-skins-designs.php
Kent
sduck wrote:

That's a really shitty response. Grow up.

Hey, take it easy on the fella. He's showing everyone how edgy he is. Not a very good job, but 'oh, so cool' nonetheless.
Just me
His user name shows just how hip slick and cool he is. What you put in is what comes out.

To the OP it is just down to a lot of hand work. The base has to be perfect for the finish to be perfect. Any corrner cut is a reduction in the finished product. I prefer using spray guns because the ease the amount of hand work in the finish they do not eliminate it. Take your time. Don't get in a hurry. A quick refinish will take a minimum of a week if you work hard at it. A few weeks if you only want to spend an hour or two a day at it.
Chrome Dinette
You might try gluing anything on paper you like to the surface of the guitar using 3M77 adhesive.

Then go over it with the 2 part epoxy finish sold at hardware stores for the purposes of covering restaurant tables.

If you do this, it's a good idea to go around any exposed edges with a paint pen as the epoxy can wick into the paper which looks ugly.

guitar with black light poster as finish

it works on pedals, too:

black light pedals
GuyaGuy
Assuming you’re doing this in a Brooklyn apartment and don’t have access to lots of equipment I’d recommend:

1) Remove finish with soy gel or similar. It does most of the work for you and the alternatives are more toxic and messier.
2) Do a wipe on stain in your color of choice. If the guitar has binding you’ll need to scrape that after staining. Takes a while.
3) Use wipe on poly for the protective coat

That’s just the high level steps of course. You’ll still need to sand, tape, buff, etc. None of it is hard but it’s also never quick.
cretaceousear
I've seen photos of people using a sort of vinyl stick-on designed for cars - it was on an archtop so fine for LP contours. The one I saw was a blingy sort of sparkling dark blue - sort of thing Prince might have had. It sticks in my head as shortly before I'd seen a Lamborghini with the same finish.
I mean good taste can FO right?
I can prolly fnd the original thead if you're interested - was on a Gretsch forum.
jules
I would first start to string it to see if I like to play it, or if it could be useful (alternate tunings, electronic curiosity), even in it's ugly state.
That could save you some time.
I've done the mistake of spending quite some time trying to improve instruments (make them look nice), that turned out to be practically useless.
But never stop keep on trying.
Chevron87
jules wrote:
I would first start to string it to see if I like to play it, or if it could be useful (alternate tunings, electronic curiosity), even in it's ugly state.
That could save you some time.
I've done the mistake of spending quite some time trying to improve instruments (make them look nice), that turned out to be practically useless.
But never stop keep on trying.

This is good advice. Set it up with new strings, intonate and clean up before doing any serious cosmetic work, just to make sure it is good to play, stays in tune and check for any warping or serious flaws that make it unplayable and the reason you may have found it in the trash in the first place.
Rex Coil 7
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:
Cover it in aluminium foil and then a coat of clear varnish. Or cover it in leaves and a coat of clear varnish. Or cover it in bat excrement and a coat of clear varnish.

... this guy ^^

... on the rag cuz his mum grounded him from playing Fortnite for using a swear word at the dinner table and using his sister's eye liner ...
1986Bowler
If you want to paint, take a look at some of the new matt finishes out there. You could sand it down, and either use aniline dyes, and then just either use a wipe on sealer, or you could spray it with a flat paint, and let it be- no futzing around with poly or nitro, no 10-12 layers, etc.

I did my DIYSolo guitar with 2 coats of primer and then a couple of coats of metallic automotive paint- love the way it looks.

If it's an archtop, you could decoupage it, cover it with stickers, or use a wrap like the guys are talking about.

If it's not an archtop, you can use drum skin wrap to just cover the top.

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul in Cherry Sunburst and I hate the look- if it wasn't for the bookmatched veneer on top, I'd spray paint it flat black.

Best of luck- and remember- don't like it? Sand 'er down and do it again!
criticalmonkey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7koRkRu1U4
MindMachine
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:

A little chilly in mom's basement?

I have a Harmony Rebel with the Pea Green finish. The neck got melted as it sat in a Chinese made guitar stand. Whatever chemicals were in the 'surgical' tubing covering the holder melted the finish away from that spot on the neck.

I'm considering selling it for parts or doing a wet sand on the neck to try and smooth it down.

Please update the thread as you make progress.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1