MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kudos to OS! Silent Way + ES-1 = teh win
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Kudos to OS! Silent Way + ES-1 = teh win
Oldstench
The subject just about says it all. Finally got some serious time to sit down and dork about with Silent Way interfacing with the ES-1.
Setup within Cubase 5.5 was a breeze following OS's video demo. My Z3000 Mk2 and my Anti-Osc track like nobody's business. The DC plugin with Reaktor CC raping is ridiculously nuts.
It's just shitloads of fun.

Get it - you won't regret it.

w00t

(Not a shill for Expert Sleepers).
os
Guinness ftw!
JP
applause applause applause applause

I'd ditto that statement.

I'm actually starting to realize how many modules I don't really need any more. Basic vanilla LFO's and envelope generators all seem rather redundant now I can do it with the ES1
Oldstench
Exactly. And depending on how fancy you can want to get with your programming (and how simplified you want your modular system to be) you can get rid of analog sequencers, clock dividers/multipliers, logic and probably some other shit that I can't think of.

That being said, I still love those modules and think that SW + ES-1 compliments rather than obviates said modules.
qu.one
JP wrote:
applause applause applause applause

I'd ditto that statement.

I'm actually starting to realize how many modules I don't really need any more. Basic vanilla LFO's and envelope generators all seem rather redundant now I can do it with the ES1

i'm getting my ES-1 soon and am looking forward to it.. can't wait for at the studio goodness... i just wouldn't toss some modules that you might need when NOT in the studio though.
jenamu6
Do you still need a second sound card to use this?
JP
qu.one wrote:

i'm getting my ES-1 soon and am looking forward to it.. can't wait for at the studio goodness... i just wouldn't toss some modules that you might need when NOT in the studio though.

True, except I don't see myself using my rig anywhere that my laptop won't be, they go hand in hand with my music. I'd probably keep 1 lfo and adsr around just for when I want to jam on the system.

I'm now toying with not having my es1 in the rack at all, but making a new faceplate and putting it in an enclosure with my audio interface, so I'd have a box with 8 outs and wall wart power in and a usb in. Remove a huge amount of the clutter from having an 8 cable snake. Not sure yet though.
os
jenamu6 wrote:
Do you still need a second sound card to use this?

Only if you don't have any spare outputs on your first sound card.
jenamu6
Just hypothetical.......how hard would it be to make something like this standalone, like a self contained USB device
os
That basically means making a USB audio interface. Not hard in the absolute sense, but trickier than I currently have resources for.
jenamu6
It wouldn't have to be a sound interface now would it?

A voltage meter/distributor and a frequency counter would suffice.......or am I thinking to simple?
Oldstench
JP wrote:

I'm now toying with not having my es1 in the rack at all, but making a new faceplate and putting it in an enclosure with my audio interface, so I'd have a box with 8 outs and wall wart power in and a usb in. Remove a huge amount of the clutter from having an 8 cable snake. Not sure yet though.

If you do this, please post a how-to. I have no idea how to make a wallwart to 12v module bridge.
JP
Oldstench wrote:
If you do this, please post a how-to. I have no idea how to make a wallwart to 12v module bridge.

I'd spend $60 a use one of these http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100mnt/

smile

I probably need to find a couple of other modules for this.

Maybe a midi to cv, midi to trigger & es-1 in a beauty case would hit the spot.
JP
OH Man, it's meant to be…

32hp in a beauty case:

elby midi-trigger: 14hp
doepfer midi-cv: 6hp
es1: 12 hp
os
Or

ES-1: 8 HP
ES-2: 4 HP

SlayerBadger!
os
Oldstench wrote:

See also
http://www.flightofharmony.com/product-lines/power/power-module
os
jenamu6 wrote:
It wouldn't have to be a sound interface now would it?

The whole point of the Silent Way approach is to have the DAW treat CVs like audio. So to have the DAW output the CVs, it has to see the device as an audio interface.
Oldstench
Sometimes I feel like such an idiot. I was about to suggest an "improvement" to the step LFO where the right channel could optionally output triggers for each step. I was stymied last night because if all the steps are high, my EGs don't see each step as a discreet trigger.

As I was writing my suggestion down, I started thinking about how you can set individual sequence lengths for each channel and had the eureka moment where it dawned on me - right channel to 32 steps (or whatever) and set every other step to a high value - voila triggers!

Then I looked at the picture in the manual of the step LFO... d'oh!
os
LOL.

It is actually on my to-do list to add a trigger interpolation type, so you wouldn't have to use a double length sequence, but as you've found, it does work quite well as it is.
Oldstench
Gotta say, Asym on the step LFO is the shit. Here's a stupid, simple little ditty I patched together last night demonstrating it.

http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/piston-sings

Have I mentioned I really dig it? thumbs up
Oldstench
Hell - this thing makes the Piston Honda track over 6 octaves easily for me...
I am blown away by this product.
skweeegor
Absolutely love this shiz. Opens up a small system SO much.
josefranco
Silent Way and ES-1 are amazing! So much goodness here. Silent Way LFO and Pittsburgh Modular's VILFO are going to be best friends. Thanks Os!
hednoize
Oldstench wrote:
Gotta say, Asym on the step LFO is the shit. Here's a stupid, simple little ditty I patched together last night demonstrating it.

http://soundcloud.com/oldstench/piston-sings

Man, that is really cool riff. Love it!
os
I love this thread. I might make it sticky. razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2