MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mixer to mixer signal level
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author mixer to mixer signal level
k_dada
Hello MW,

I have two mixers: Intellijel mixup and Manhattan Analog CP3. I got the Mixup because it had stereo in/out and my plan was to use the CP3 as a "submixer" going into the Mixup. CP3 --> mixup (mono channel) --> Pittsburgh Modular Outs

Since the CP3 has some gain, I was concerned that I would end up with gain from the CP3 added to gain from the mixup. But it has been the opposite: the signal from the CP3 is lower. If I route the CP3 to channel 4 of the mix up (stereo ins with no attenuation or mute) then the signal is at the same volume as if it was going straight into the Outs.

So I have a solution, but why does this happen? Is this expected going from mixer --> mixer? Or is something wrong here? I have only a super basic knowledge of electronics, but I'd like to understand this.

Thanks
Jay F.
Hello,

According to the manual, Mixup channel 4 is at unity gain.

I don't know the CP3 very well, but most mixers are adders followed by a small attenuation stage in order not to saturate the ouput stage or the input of the next module. Maybe the CP3 is close to unity as well. Hence the same volume if you send your signal via CP3 - Mixup - Outs or directly to the Outs.
k_dada
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that makes sense for channel 4, I think. I'm still unclear why I lose volume on the channels 1, 2, 3.
Dave Peck
k_dada wrote:
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that makes sense for channel 4, I think. I'm still unclear why I lose volume on the channels 1, 2, 3.

It just means that the mixer channels are UNITY GAIN when the control is at max. So the most signal you will ever get out of any mixer channel is the same level as what went in. The channel level controls only attenuate the signal, they do not boost the signal.

Same as a VCA - even though it's called an 'amplifier', they generally only pass a unity gain signal. The level coming out is the same as what went in, or less if the controls are set to attenuate it. But the circuit doesn't boost the signal level so the signal can never be a higher level coming out than what went in.
k_dada
Hey Dave,

Thanks for your explanation. I think I get it.

Since the level controls don't boost, they only attenuate, and channel 4 does not have a level control, the volume is the same.

The other channels of the mixup do attenuate, so to match the volume level of the CP3, the controls for the other channels would have to be at max.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1