MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The perfect sequencer...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author The perfect sequencer...
snaper
Hi Guys,

My music is sometimes fully random, you know, like that crazy stuff Devine does, or, minimal, repetitive techno.
For the techno things, I like to use MIDI note sequencers, with 1 button randomisation, because, honestly, I'm not really good making melodies, but, I can program Max to generate a melody for me grin

In the past year I used Bricks (my own creation) as my main sequencer with my modular systems and with my beloved Nord Micro.

Since I've updated my studio with a G1, I thought, it would be great to create a new MIDI sequencer, with melodies in mind.

So far, it is almost ready, yet, I think I can pack more features to it.
What I have now :

- it is basically a dual 16 step sequencer
- both sequencers share the same clock source with random tempo, swing and random swing

So, the clock is the same, but, the top and bottom seq. is "separated", like this :

- in the top seq. you can set the note values (with settings for the lowest and highest notes) and the length of the notes (in intervals, not milliseconds); of course, the seq. has it's own direction and length settings
- the bottom seq. is for velocity (again, with settings for the highest and lowest amount) and for note delay (again, in intervals, not in milliseconds); and, this one also has its own direction and length settings.

You can randomise basically everything, I mean, the note values, note lengths, velocity values, note delays, you can turn on and off steps (that part is driven by the top, note seq.), etc., and there is a global randomisation / reset button.

Of course, you can save patterns, randomly recall them, save patterns or pattern banks into files.

For my own needs, it is enough, but I was wondering this morning, maybe, there are some features that others would like to have in a sequencer.
Mantaray
I like to be able to advance each step with MIDI note input. So note input basically can control the clock. Gives the ability to do polyrhythms and custom swing. If I understand correctly your device does not do polyrhythms, is this correct?
snaper
Mantaray wrote:
I like to be able to advance each step with MIDI note input. So note input basically can control the clock. Gives the ability to do polyrhythms and custom swing. If I understand correctly your device does not do polyrhythms, is this correct?

Well, no, no polyrhythms.
I had plans for that, I mean, different resolution for each seq. is possible, it is just hard to implement here, but who know, maybe I'll give a try.
On the other hands, it does kinda' polyrhythm, cause you can set different lengths and directions, so the result is kinda' asymmetric.
ignatius
can set different note intervals per sequencer? is that different than step sequence length?
snaper
ignatius wrote:
can set different note intervals per sequencer? is that different than step sequence length?

Note lengths are set on the top seq., the bottom one controls the note delay, so, this makes it even more "asymmetric".
Panason
Preset chords and scales. For each step dial in a chord selected from a list of chords based on chosen scale and root note. Another dial can strum or arpeggiate the notes in the chord by an adjustable speed.
ege.gonul
Cirklon is the KING. But can't do polyrhythms which is not a big deal because polyrhythms most of the time sounds unmusically disorienting (not true if its multiple like 1.5 which makes them triplets) .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1