MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY wooden computer case project video #1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY wooden computer case project video #1
Rex Coil 7
If you're into DIY, metalworking, clever and innovative creation, and just plain building really neat stuff, you simply must watch this video. This is just great workmanship and "working with one's hands" in a very interesting manner.

This fella builds an entire computer case out of aluminum, wood, and friggin ROPE. I really love how he took on several challenges that would have stopped lesser builders dead in their tracks. Especially the graphics card mounting and cooling challenges.

I was most impressed with the way he tackled various metalworking problems. He's really good at working with wood as well, but the metalworking stuff is just really my kinda thing.

You may wish to keep a pencil/paper handy to take a few notes. I'm serious! Even though I've been metalworking since 1970 (I was 10yrs old then), and basically feeding my family for 40 years "with my hands", I learned a few new things in this video.

Observe, young Skywalker.

Enjoy!

arthurdent
DAMN, that's nice thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up I don't need another computer right now but I'm almost tempted to start working on one just 'cause. Run out to one of the local Amish lumber mills, maybe get me some cherry, start building a box.
Rex Coil 7
Thing is, these methods and such can be applied to pretty much anything you build.

My thing with this project is just the way he solved problems and went about dealing with them. I'm always impressed with "never quit!" approaches to things, and this guy just mowed the damned lawn!

(um ... what?)

lol
ObsoleteModular
coffee machine
Rex Coil 7
ObsoleteModular wrote:
coffee machine
Pfft! My wife and I thought the same thing first time we saw it.

The "Mr. Computer" .... or perhaps the Mr. "Coffooter"

lol
arthurdent
I couldn't find anything on how much time he actually spent on the project, just trying brainstorm and/or prototype fitting all of the pieces/parts together. I wonder how much stuff ended up in the garbage heap - brackets, pieces of wood, etc. - that didn't work the first, second, third time around. Or maybe the guy is just that good and he did it right the first time.
Eric the Red
arthurdent wrote:
I couldn't find anything on how much time he actually spent on the project, just trying brainstorm and/or prototype fitting all of the pieces/parts together. I wonder how much stuff ended up in the garbage heap - brackets, pieces of wood, etc. - that didn't work the first, second, third time around. Or maybe the guy is just that good and he did it right the first time.

In MaximumPC, they always have a “custom build” PC they feature in the magazine. Typically these builds take anywhere fro24-man hours to 1000+ depending on how custom it is.
cretaceousear
Sorry to be negative - reminds of the days when hi-fi and tvs were disguised as pieces of furniture.
There's no functional design aspect - no "form follows function".
It's just wrappng something up in other stuff - the rope is meaningless decoration.
The thing you're making Rex, looks 100 times more faithful to its function and componentry thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
cretaceousear wrote:
Sorry to be negative - reminds of the days when hi-fi and tvs were disguised as pieces of furniture.
There's no functional design aspect - no "form follows function".
It's just wrappng something up in other stuff - the rope is meaningless decoration.
The thing you're making Rex, looks 100 times more faithful to its function and componentry thumbs up
Thank you very much. we're not worthy

(01/18/19 - I am not monitoring this thread)

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1