MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to get +/-5 volts LFO from Pamela's New Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How to get +/-5 volts LFO from Pamela's New Workout
tonymasiello
Hi all,

I own a Pam's and would like to use it to create an LFO with a very specific clock division to send to Erica XFade. The problem is that Pam's outputs 0v to +5v while XFade expects -5v to +5 volts.

For now I am using Batumi with a clock sync, but Pam's seems better suited to this where a simple sine will suffice, but with the ability to set the freq to fine divisions of the clock.

What are my options for converting the Pam's signal to get a full range sweep to send to XFade? I have Maths and VCAs, but would consider a utility module that would solve this also. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Sunden
You need something which will provide 2x gain and an offset. Mutable Blinds could provide both of those, and is a generally very useful module!

Step 1) apply 2x gain to signal (now it is 0-10v)
Step 2) use an offset to subtract 5v (now it is -5v to 5v)
tonymasiello
Sunden wrote:
You need something which will provide 2x gain and an offset. Mutable Blinds could provide both of those, and is a generally very useful module!

Thank you for the reply. You are the second person in the last couple of weeks to recommend MI Shades to me, so that has been on my radar. Would shades be able to achieve the gain and the offset on a single channel or would it require two channels?

Thanks!
bc3
Or this should do the trick...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321-
kay_k
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-wk2

use both channels (x2) and subtract 5V offset
Nutritional Zero
Cold Mac could probably do it. OR(1) receives 2x gain if nothing is patched to AND(1). From there, you could patch your hotter signal into LEFT and take the output of RIGHT. With Survey fully CCW, LEFT should be exactly -5v offset.
Sunden
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Cold Mac could probably do it. OR(1) receives 2x gain if nothing is patched to AND(1). From there, you could patch your hotter signal into LEFT and take the output of RIGHT. With Survey fully CCW, LEFT should be exactly -5v offset.

If I remember correctly OR only receives 2x gain to the MAC output, not to the OR(out). The MAC output is AC-coupled so you couldn’t take the signal out of there anyways.
danishchairs
tonymasiello wrote:
Sunden wrote:

Thank you for the reply. You are the second person in the last couple of weeks to recommend MI Shades to me, so that has been on my radar. Would shades be able to achieve the gain and the offset on a single channel or would it require two channels? ...

MI Blinds (not Shades) looks like a good choice. Not sure if you need two channels.

Befaco a*b+c can also accomplish this. It’s a dual channel module, and you could achieve both gain and offset using just one channel.
Xtheunknown
Frap Tools 321 provides everything you need - in fact 3 of them. It doubles your peak to peak voltage from 5 volts (0 to 5V) to 10 volts (0 to 10V), then allows you to provide a -5V offset to give you -5 to +5 volts. It has 3 identical channels of this configuration.

The Malekko sequencers have the same problem. I would prefer to see manufacturers give us 0-10V or -5/+5V. Attenuation or a simple offfset is easier and cheaper then having to amplify first.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1