MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quadraphonic Setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Quadraphonic Setup
Vatican2
I’m getting a 227r soon, and I’m starting to think through setting up my space for it. Anyone care to share their quad setup? I guess the most straightforward would be to go straight into some powered monitors. I’d love to hear about any recommendations anyone has that they are happy with. Thanks!
levelhead3
It's more of a generic studio question - the answer totally depends on what else you've got in your space & how you plan on using the multiple outputs.

A 4-bus mixer lets you use the front two channels as normal L/R for regular stereo sources without repatching anything, and makes recording and external signal processing easier.

The quad set-up in the Buchla studio at Evergreen (when I was there circa mid-90's) used a 4 bus Soundcraft 200b along with a healthy patchbay set-up, feeding a couple Crown amps if memory serves. The front speakers were concentric Tannoy's, don't remember what the rear speakers were.

But if the Buchla is the only device you're using and all you're doing is monitoring the outputs then running direct to powered monitors would work just fine. If that's the case then the next question is studio use only or do you want the whole set-up to be portable for gigging? If the latter we had great luck with the JBL Eon 15's - bullet proof, easy to set up & dial in, and sounded great with wide dynamic range synths.
Synesthesia
I use 2 pairs of monitoring speakers, 2 at the front, 2 at the back. works great.

I used 2 Eventide h9 for effects.
ST.P
i just started a quad - setup too:

227r, 4 x Monitoring Speakers + Subwoofer and Cubase for Mixing and Recording.

does anyone know about how to play Quadraphonic Soundfiles on Consumer HiFi - Audio Equipment or which Surround Components are capable to play these files?

i would like to listen to the recordings outside the studio hmmm.....
rkilman
I've been running quad for awhile now and have gone through various setups over the years.

The Behringer X-air digital mixers are a perfect match for quad. I used an x-air 12 for a long time (now for sale in the BST forum cool) running Buchla and other gear into the inputs, and two front speakers out the main outs, two rear speakers out the aux outputs (all four speakers are JBL LSR305s) and a sub out of the headphone jack. You get 4 independent stereo effects (Behringer does great reverbs), excellent for quad. Loads of routing possibilities and the digital nature of it allows you to have different mixing/effect presets.

Currently I'm running a Roland Integra (which is 16 part multitimbral and outputs in surround - amazing with old Buchla midi controllers) into the aux mixer of a 227e, then the 227e into an Eventide H8000FW and then out to an Apogee Element interface via optical cable as I'm working more in the box lately. The Element has two outs which run to the front speakers and then an optical cable back out to the H8000 which sends to the rear speakers.
mestlick
I've used my Mackie 1220i to monitor quad: main out to front, alt to back.
It's not ideal because there are two separate volume controls, front and back.

I've also used the Nord Modular G2 for quad processing, with its 4 ins and 4 outs. It can be like a virtual 227 with 4 mono inputs to quad output.
ghostcode
My studio quad setup has the 227r going to a patch bay that exposes all the card connections. I have the monitor outputs normalled directly to my 4 speakers. This gives the ability to use the monitor switches on the 227 which come in handy every now and then.

I have the 4 program outputs going to the first 4 inputs on my tape machine, and all 8 outputs of my tape machine going to the 227 tape inputs.

Speakers are Genelec 1029a and 1091a subwoofers. I don't currently have room for larger speakers.

It's more work than it seems like it would be setting up the card connector for use with a patchbay, but it's worth it. If I ever need to move the Buchla somewhere, it's only one connection that I need to worry about.

rkilman
ghostcode wrote:
My studio quad setup has the 227r going to a patch bay that exposes all the card connections. I have the monitor outputs normalled directly to my 4 speakers. This gives the ability to use the monitor switches on the 227 which come in handy every now and then.

I have the 4 program outputs going to the first 4 inputs on my tape machine, and all 8 outputs of my tape machine going to the 227 tape inputs.

Speakers are Genelec 1029a and 1091a subwoofers. I don't currently have room for larger speakers.

It's more work than it seems like it would be setting up the card connector for use with a patchbay, but it's worth it. If I ever need to move the Buchla somewhere, it's only one connection that I need to worry about.

Wow, that is really awesome!! I didn’t realize the card connector could do all that. Thanks for sharing!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1