MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any synths that put out -10dBu for use with guitar pedals??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Any synths that put out -10dBu for use with guitar pedals??
insomniyack
I'm thinking of buying the Snazzy FX Wow & Flutter for production use with synths or samplers.

Any synths that output -10dBu?

I'm also using the Malekko 616 and the WMD Geiger Counter with only synths and it does seem to be lacking in volume so I probably need +4dBu on those too.
insomniyack
Another question for you guys...

Is the Akai MPC2000XL with 8 additional outputs at +4dBu or -10dBu?
Kent
+4dBu for guitar pedals? Does not compute... Does not compute...

Geetars are well below line level. What is it that you are after? I R Confoosed. hmmm.....
insomniyack
I was told I need to convert -10db to +4db to use the Wow and Flutter with a synth so I was wondering if any synths put out the +4db right from the get go.
de_raaf
your mixing it up
you need to go from +4 to -10
synth=linelevel -> attenuation to -> instrument level (guitar etc)->pedal

modular is even higher than linelevel
chocolatyshatner
Uh, what synths are you using? Here's some info about the -10db/+4db thing . . . http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/digital.htm

I think the -10db/+4db thing is really more important to matching analog levels to digital recording inputs, although I'm not sure. Could you be more specific about what synthesizers you are using, how you are connecting them to your effects, and what problems you are having? If anything, the average synth output would overload the average guitar effect pedal input. Much(!!) more so with modular signals.
Klopfgeist
Just plug the synth directly into the pedal. You will not hurt anything. (but attenuate modular level, it's really high)
insomniyack
Well I'm using the tetra, mopho, nord rack 3, and mpc2000xl. Basically I want to run one of those synths through the Snazzy FX Wow & Flutter guitar effect pedal and everybody says I need a line leveler to make it sound good.

I don't really know myself...so the synth level is too hot so I need to quiet it to send it through the guitar effect? Why couldn't I just turn it down?

I'm confused!!
Babaluma
maybe do a search on here for reamp?
Kent
Start off by putting an attenuator before the pedal & commencing with the attenuator all of the way off. Slowly open the attenuator while groovy sounds are coming out of your synth and you should be golden.
You could also just use the master volume slider/knob on you synths. Your signal to noise ratio might suck (there could be some hiss) but it'll work safely.

However, nothing was mentioned as to where you are planning to send the Wow & Flutter's signal. If going to a mixer or audio interface, you will probably need a D.I. Box @ then a mic-pre amplifier, although some of these units have D.I.s built-in.

Tell us what the entire signal chain is so that we can help you out.

The easy way out is to buy a Harvestman Stilton Adaptor or the Doepfer equivalent.

:edit: cleaned up ex post facto in order to 'de-iPhone-ize' the text. The iPhone may well be the world's worst typing device.
insomniyack
I'm going from mopho into wow & flutter and then into analog Allen & Heath mixer.
Kent
Okay; you'll need some way to bump the signal level back up to line level for the A&H mixer's line input. Or use the built-in DI on a channel if the A&H has that feature. If not, you'll need a DI between the W&F's output and the XLR input on a channel of the A&H.

Or buy a Stilton Adaptor!
tuj
just check out my advice in the other thread. AFAIK I am the only one right now using a snazzy with line level (or so dan said a month ago).
insomniyack
I ordered the EBTECH Line Switcher box but now should I buy a DI box also?

You can't just run the effect into your mixer just like other effects?
tuj
no, you probably won't need a DI. If you can't get a hot enough level out of the effect, use the other side of the ebtech: -10 in, +4 out. That should help a little.
ignatius
pretty much any synth w/an unbalanced output can go directly into any guitar pedal.

synths like the roland MKS-80 have balanced outs and you might want to reamp it but my guess is most guitar pedals can handle a wide range of input levels if you just control the volume level on your synth.

all the synths you mention.. NL3, mpc etc can be plugged directly into a guitar pedal unless that guitar pedal is for some reason expecting a mic level input which of course would make it something else than a guitar pedal.
tuj
ignatius wrote:
pretty much any synth w/an unbalanced output can go directly into any guitar pedal.

Generally true. Will not work with snazzy fx however (cause I tried).
digitalganesha
Would it still be recommended to go synth > REAMP > pedals anyway to get the best possible tone out of the pedals?
tuj
In theory yes. In practice you may find the differences to be quite small depending on what pedals you are using.
mijome07
synth-> attenuator-> pedal-> active DI box-> mixer
ignatius
tuj wrote:
ignatius wrote:

Generally true. Will not work with snazzy fx however (cause I tried).

interesting.. what happened? do they just not get enough signal or what?
synthetic
Pedals are designed for high impedance guitars which are like -30dB. Very few synths output +4dB, the ones that do usually have XLR outputs. Roland Jupiter 8 and Super Jupiter are the only ones that come to mind.
IvanC
You can use a simple attenuator like the resistor section of this schematic:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs60_sba.html
mijome07
I hooked up a Monotron through a flanger pedal with no problem.
audibleobsession
mijome07 wrote:
I hooked up a Monotron through a flanger pedal with no problem.

Agreed, I do the same. This thread seems like it really overcomplicated the whole thing. Have been plugging all my synths into my guitar pedals at line level for years now. Works great and doesn't sound any different to me if I get it down to instrument level then back up with a DI/preamp...that solution just seems overcomplicated? It's already at line level, why would you mess around with it? The guitar pedals can handle it fine to my ears and I've never had them blow up from line level signals haha.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2